Rock Shox Duke XC U-turn vs Pilot SL

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jy, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Jy

    Jy Guest

    I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The Pilot is an air fork BTW.
    Any comments about which works better? I haven't seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "JY" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
    > I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The Pilot is an air fork BTW.
    > Any comments about which works better? I
    haven't
    > seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.

    Try www.mtbr.com for reviews.

    In that price range, I would take a look at the Marzochi MXR, or whatever it is called this year.

    -Dave

  3. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The Pilot is an air fork BTW.
    > Any comments about which works better? I haven't seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.

    Nothing by rocksux works well for very long.

    JD

  4. Jy

    Jy Guest

    > "JY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The Pilot is an air fork
    > > BTW. Any comments about which works better? I
    haven't
    > > seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.
    >
    > Nothing by rocksux works well for very long.
    >
    > JD

    Actually that's been partly my experience too with my old RockShox fork. Yet I'm choosing them
    again. :) I thought maybe the Pilot might be a simple design and so more reliable. Then when it
    explodes in 2 or 3 yrs I can get the $700 Fox. :)

  5. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    JY said...

    > I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The Pilot is an air fork BTW.
    > Any comments about which works better? I haven't seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.

    I recently gained considerable experience in rebuilding the Duke XC and I was quite unimpressed by
    the design of the internals. I would try one of the cheaper Bombers instead. I think you can get an
    MX Comp for about the same price as a Duke and the EXR is even cheaper. If you can scrape together
    $350, try the Fox Vanilla 125R. I have a Vanilla 125RL and it is a smooooothe operator right out of
    the box. It has no plastic parts (that I can see), and bigger (read stiffer) stanchions than the
    competition. I think it is a real bargain at $350.

  6. MidBunchLurker

    MidBunchLurker New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely recommend it.

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    MidBunchLurker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely recommend it.

    3 months is not any length of time to properly judge something like a suspension fork by - the
    things should last for years with no more than minor maintenance, but most RuckShucks stuff goes
    tits up in a lot less time.

    Shaun aRe - FFS, buy a Marzocchi, heheheheheh........

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > JY said...
    >
    > > I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The Pilot is an air fork
    > > BTW. Any comments about which works better? I haven't seen any reviews on the web or anything.
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > I recently gained considerable experience in rebuilding the Duke XC and I was quite unimpressed by
    > the design of the internals. I would try one of the cheaper Bombers instead. I think you can get
    > an MX Comp for about the same price as a Duke and the EXR is even cheaper. If you can scrape
    > together $350, try the Fox Vanilla 125R. I have a Vanilla 125RL and it is a smooooothe operator
    > right out of the box. It has no plastic parts (that I can see), and bigger (read stiffer)
    > stanchions than the competition. I think it is a real bargain at $350.

    I have to agree, just beware of the EXR Comp, I don't know why Marzocchi put their name on this, I
    guess they wanted something in the RS Indy price range (those things should be free with an oil
    change anyway). The EXR (non comp) is a good fork the same as other bombers, just lacking some of
    the features.
    --
    _________________________

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > MidBunchLurker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely recommend it.
    >
    > 3 months is not any length of time to properly judge something like a suspension fork by - the
    > things should last for years with no more than minor maintenance, but most RuckShucks stuff goes
    > tits up in a lot less time.

    I think 3 months is about how long those penny saving dust wiper/oil seal combos are supposed to
    last. Of course they won't leak because there's no friggin oil in there to begin with!
    --
    _________________________

  10. Superslinky

    Superslinky Guest

    MidBunchLurker said...

    > Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely recommend it.

    I know there are lots of satisfied Duke customers, but having seen the insides, I just doubt its
    long-term durability. Mine was busted from the factory. I got a Duke SL as a replacement in a deal
    with the bike factory, but in the meantime I ordered a Fox Vanilla 125RL. I am going to put the Duke
    SL on my old full rigid and see how it does. Installing the Fox in place of the Duke was a real
    eye-opener. I'm not sure why I sense so much of an improvement. Maybe part of it is that I like the
    geometry better with the longer travel of the Fox, but it is noticeably stiffer as well and I think
    that is the main thing.