Rock Shox parts and Maintenance

Rob

Guest
Rock Shox parts and Maintenance

I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.

Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.

In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower
tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.

This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.

I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has
collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit

Where do I buy parts for these forks?

Thanks

Rob wrote:
> Rock Shox parts and Maintenance
>
> I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
>

> Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
>
> In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower
> tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
>
> This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.
>

> I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has
> collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
>
> Where do I buy parts for these forks?
>
> Thanks

Place called 'hippie tech'

http://www.hippiesuspension.com

here's the deal...the spare parts are no longer produced for these
forks and Rock Shox doesn't support forks older than 3 years.

there are a few places like Hippie Tech that have SOME parts...but not
all. personally, Hippie took waaaaaaaay too long with a 98 Judy SL i
sent in. it took a MONTH to get an estimate.

another option is to find a perfectly working example on eBay. not
likely but.....

or...just shock yourself into the new millenium and buy a new fork.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>>Rock Shox parts and Maintenance
>>
>>I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
>>

>>Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
>>
>>In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower
>>tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
>>
>>This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.
>>

>>I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has
>>collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
>>
>>Where do I buy parts for these forks?
>>
>>Thanks

> Place called 'hippie tech'
>
> http://www.hippiesuspension.com

Thanks - have contacted them see what happens.

Rob wrote:
> Rock Shox parts and Maintenance
>
> I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
>

> Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
>
> In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower
> tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
>
> This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.

I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most
of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing
the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and
lowers.

> I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has
> collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
>
> Where do I buy parts for these forks?

I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks
this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts
makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't
get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can
get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap
you could cannibalize.

[email protected] wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>>Rock Shox parts and Maintenance
>>
>>I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
>>

>>Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
>>
>>In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower
>>tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
>>
>>This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.

> I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most
> of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing
> the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and
> lowers.
>

>>I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has
>>collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
>>
>>Where do I buy parts for these forks?

> I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks
> this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts
> makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't
> get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can
> get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap
> you could cannibalize.

It probably just needs a set of O rings and they'd be as good as new.
What wears out in shox?

Friday

not that simple....this fork uses an elastomer and no oil. the only
seals on this fork are the ones to keep dirt out. simply replacing
them is hardly a fix.

lots of things wear out...bushings, bottom out bumpers, crush washers,
comrpession shafts, snap rings, the wavy washers (so called by RS),
elastomers, grease........

[email protected] wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>>Rock Shox parts and Maintenance
>>
>>I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
>>

>>Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
>>
>>In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower
>>tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
>>
>>This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.

> I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most
> of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing
> the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and
> lowers.

That was the part I missed because I was unsure what was inside. But now
there out and apart.

>>I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has
>>collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
>>
>>Where do I buy parts for these forks?

> I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks
> this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts
> makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't
> get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can
> get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap
> you could cannibalize.

Looks as if I will cast a set of elastomers for the forks. Which will be
minimal cost.

rm

Friday wrote:

> It probably just needs a set of O rings and they'd be as good as new.
> What wears out in shox?
>
> Friday

The elastomers (spring) have perished and collapsed. One side has gone
to powder.

All the top seals are OK. Bushes are OK.

Rob wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Rob wrote:
> >
> >>Rock Shox parts and Maintenance
> >>
> >>I have some older Rock Shox forks Judy XC 1996 pre the one piece type.
> >>

> >>Two problems - can't get them completely apart and spare parts.
> >>
> >>In the manual they say just to unscrew the 6mm bolts from the lower
> >>tubes and slide the the forks free of the upper tubes.
> >>
> >>This hasn't happened is there something I'm missing to dismantle the forks.

> > I think what you're missing is the step where you loosen the bolts most
> > of the way out and then rap them with a plastic mallet before removing
> > the bolts the rest of the way and trying to separate the uppers and
> > lowers.
> >

> That was the part I missed because I was unsure what was inside. But now
> there out and apart.
>

> >>I have removed the MCU spring from the top of the forks. one side has
> >>collapsed completely and the other is in tact. Also need the damper unit
> >>
> >>Where do I buy parts for these forks?

> > I don't think you would want to spend much money on parts for shocks
> > this old. Unfortunately, in general, it seems like the cost of parts
> > makes replacing parts in an overhaul not cost effective. If you can't
> > get them functional with a rebuild that you do yourself, see if you can
> > get something off of ebay. You might also find something there cheap
> > you could cannibalize.
> >

> Looks as if I will cast a set of elastomers for the forks. Which will be
> minimal cost.

if you find any, post up....i know several people who are looking
too....

did you check for bushing slop?

the seals showed no signs of wear? was this fork used at all?

On 2006-08-21 16:39:16 -0700, Rob <[email protected]> said:

> Friday wrote:
>

>> It probably just needs a set of O rings and they'd be as good as new.
>> What wears out in shox?
>>
>> Friday

> The elastomers (spring) have perished and collapsed. One side has gone
> to powder.
>
> All the top seals are OK. Bushes are OK.

I swapped some England (Englund?) Air cartridges in the Judys and fixed
that right up.

One strong argument for rebuilding/fixing these versus getting new
shocks it that every 3 years, the "standard" for suspension grows by
about 1.5 cm. Originally forks had 45-50 cm of travel, then 63, now
they're at 80 or 100. Putting an 80 mm fork on a frame that originally
had a Judy (50 cm typically), makes it handle like a freaking chopper.