Rock Shox Quadra servicing

Martin Wilson

Guest
Recently got an old GT Timberline FS bike and wanted to know if theres
anything I need to do to service/maintain these shocks. They seem ok
and work alright but is there any maintenance I'm meant to be doing?

If so what do I need and where do I get it with regard oil or grease?

In article <[email protected]>,
Martin Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Recently got an old GT Timberline FS bike and wanted to know if theres
> anything I need to do to service/maintain these shocks. They seem ok
> and work alright but is there any maintenance I'm meant to be doing?
>
> If so what do I need and where do I get it with regard oil or grease?

You can periodically remove the elastomers so they can be cleaned and
regreased with a white lithium grease. At the same time, stick a rag on
a long screwdriver or rod to clean the old grease out of the inside of
the fork legs. You can also drip a small amount of oil around the seal
at the top of each lower leg. Disassemble, clean, and relube the
preload adjusters. These sometimes would get clogged up with grease and
grit, and the plastic threads would easily strip.

That's about all there is to do on these. Rock Shox used to have tools
available to disassemble the fork bushings for replacement, but the
tools and replacement parts are no longer available.

Todd Kuzma

"Todd Kuzma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Martin Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Recently got an old GT Timberline FS bike and wanted to know if theres
> > anything I need to do to service/maintain these shocks. They seem ok
> > and work alright but is there any maintenance I'm meant to be doing?
> >
> > If so what do I need and where do I get it with regard oil or grease?

> You can periodically remove the elastomers so they can be cleaned and
> regreased with a white lithium grease.

My old RS (Judy, not Quadra) manual specifically mentioned to not use
lithium grease.

Peter Cole wrote:

> "Todd Kuzma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Martin Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:

>> You can periodically remove the elastomers so they can be cleaned and
>> regreased with a white lithium grease.

> My old RS (Judy, not Quadra) manual specifically mentioned to not use
> lithium grease.

Yeah, they did, but I'm sure it was a bunch of BS. At the time they were trying
to sell overpriced "Judy Butter," which I bet was lithium based too -- as
virtually all common automotive-type greases are.

That said, the "white lithium grease" we see everywhere is probably not the best
choice. It's usually cheap stuff that tends to separate, gunking everything up
and not lubricating very well. This may have been what Rockshox was really
saying, although they may have been intentionally uncareful with their language
in order to sell their own stuff.

Plain old wheel bearing grease from an auto parts store is fine. I've always
used marine grease or Phil Wood, which supposedly is a bit more waterproof. In
addition, I put a little Phil Wood oil in each leg, which helps keep the grease
loose, and reflowing to where it's been scraped dry. Any plain oil will do for
this too.

Matt O.

"Todd Kuzma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Martin Wilson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Recently got an old GT Timberline FS bike and wanted to know if theres
> > anything I need to do to service/maintain these shocks. They seem ok
> > and work alright but is there any maintenance I'm meant to be doing?
> >
> > If so what do I need and where do I get it with regard oil or grease?

> You can periodically remove the elastomers so they can be cleaned and
> regreased with a white lithium grease.

I seem to remember that lithium grease ate elastomers.

Take care of that bike it's a piece of mtb history! ;^)

Mike