i know the price is much lower than other suspension forks

vspa said:
what's the deal with Rock Shox forks ?
they were one the first suspension forks to appear
now i don't hear the best comments on them
I just bought the Dart 2 model,
is that one ok ?
i know the price is much lower than other suspension forks
The better (i.e., more expensive) ROCK SHOX forks are good-to-excellent ...

My understanding is that the DART apparently has negligible-to-zero dampening ... which means that the most aggresive "trail" which it is suitable for may be fire roads -- that is, it is best for (or, at best good for) situations which are neither particlarly steep nor demanding as far as obstacles ...

BECAUSE, one drawback to limited-or-a-lack of dampening means that it is possible to bottom out the shock ... which means that control may be compromised.
A few years ago, when I was at one of my LBSes, the saleswoman/co-owner who can't weigh more than ~63 kg (140 lbs) was showing a Hardtail to a prospective customer, and she pushed down (vs. putting ALL of her weight on the handlebars) on the handlebars & bottomed out the front fork!

THAT'S NOT HOW YOU WANT A FORK TO REACT WHEN DOWNWARD FORCE IS EXERTED ON IT!

I don't know what fork was on the bike (it was a GARY FISHER ... so, it was whatever fork TREK also puts on their low end Hardtails) ...

I would guess that she was trying to demonstrate how much travel the particlar fork had ...

I wasn't close enough to hear what she was saying, but I presume that she was somehow trying to make what 'I' perceive to be a drawback into a selling point!
If you don't find the DART fork to be too soft, then it's the right fork for you ...

If you do find that the DART fork is too soft for the type of riding you (plan to) engage in, then you may be able to replace the "stock" springs with stiffer springs.

thanks for your post

how difficult is to replace the springs, expert mechanic or my common LBS ?
to change the springs would be a dramatical improvement in dampening or not so much different ?
i seem to find them at 20 dollars on Jenson USA (Internet), they have a soft and a firm option, im choosing the firm one of course

vspa said:
thanks for your post

how difficult is to replace the springs, expert mechanic or my common LBS ?
to change the springs would be a dramatical improvement in dampening or not so much different ?
i seem to find them at 20 dollars on Jenson USA (Internet), they have a soft and a firm option, im choosing the firm one of course
BEFORE you do anything, you should try the fork to see how much-or-little dampening it actually has ...

Regardless, it should not be difficult to replace the springs ...

BUT, before you order a set, see how the current fork responds.

The baggie that the springs come in may-or-may-not have instructions ...

To over-simplify the process you basically remove the 'cap' that is on each shoulder ... beneath it you may see ANOTHER cap which probably needs to be removed to access the springs ... replace ... reassemble.

YOU can probably DIY.

Instructions may be available online OR from the Rock Shox site (they must have one).
--​

I did a quick web search and there is a Rock Shox Spares Dart 2 Spring Shaft Rebound Damper Kit HC2 120mm (there are MANY listings ... and, Jenson's probably has it, too, but I didn't see it when I did a quick look).

I don't know if that if that is a rebuild kit OR for a new installation to compensate for something that is absent (i.e., an option) when it is sent from the factory ...

So, you should probably do some more research before you order anything for the fork.