Rocket to 24/24

Robert Riggins

Guest
Has anyone converted a Rocket to 24 inch wheels? Which of the two 24 inch sizes would be best (520
or 547), assuming one of them fit?

I'm not sure I have a practical reason for this conversion, but I'm still interested in tinkering.

Thanks, Rob Riggins

"Robert Riggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone converted a Rocket to 24 inch wheels? Which of the two 24 inch sizes would be best (520
> or 547), assuming one of them fit?
>
> I'm not sure I have a practical reason for this conversion, but I'm still interested in tinkering.

Oooooh. That *would* be interesting. Now you've got me thinking.

Where did I leave that brazing torch?

-Barry

Robert Riggins wrote:
> Has anyone converted a Rocket to 24 inch wheels? Which of the two 24 inch sizes would be best
> (520 or 547), assuming one of them fit?
>
> I'm not sure I have a practical reason for this conversion, but I'm still interested in
> tinkering.

I don't know about the 547 size, but my V-Rex24 came with a 520 rear wheel. There is, for all
practical purposes, one tire available: the Panaracer 24x1 1/8. This being too skinny for me, I
converted to 507, which has a plethora of low-quality tires available, plus the Vee Rubber (old Fat
Boy) 24x1.25 . There was also an IRC 24x2.00, but I don't know if it's still made.

I've thought of converting my front wheel to a 507 to match the front. To say tire sizes are limited
would be an understatement, but the Vee Rubber is a good tire; and I'd be using it anyway so it
doesn't matter that it's the *only* choice. Kids' mountain bikes use the 507 version of 24" wheels,
so a cheap fork should be relatively easy to find. For rims, I use Velocity Aero Heat.

My mistake -- 520 and 507 are the more "common" 24 inch sizes.

Thanks, Rob
--------
John Foltz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Robert Riggins wrote:
> > Has anyone converted a Rocket to 24 inch wheels? Which of the two 24 inch sizes would be best
> > (520 or 547), assuming one of them fit?
> >
> > I'm not sure I have a practical reason for this conversion, but I'm still interested in
> > tinkering.
> >
> I don't know about the 547 size, but my V-Rex24 came with a 520 rear wheel. There is, for all
> practical purposes, one tire available: the Panaracer 24x1 1/8. This being too skinny for me, I
> converted to 507, which has a plethora of low-quality tires available, plus the Vee Rubber (old
> Fat Boy) 24x1.25 . There was also an IRC 24x2.00, but I don't know if it's still made.
>
> I've thought of converting my front wheel to a 507 to match the front. To say tire sizes are
> limited would be an understatement, but the Vee Rubber is a good tire; and I'd be using it anyway
> so it doesn't matter that it's the *only* choice. Kids' mountain bikes use the 507 version of 24"
> wheels, so a cheap fork should be relatively easy to find. For rims, I use Velocity Aero Heat.
> --
>
> John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
> _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

Would it be possible for anyone with a 24 inch wheel (specify if it's a 520 or 507) in hand to take
a tape measurer and let me know the diameter of the wheel with a tire installed?

Thanks, Rob
----------------
Robert Riggins <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone converted a Rocket to 24 inch wheels? Which of the two 24 inch sizes would be best (520
> or 547), assuming one of them fit?
>
> I'm not sure I have a practical reason for this conversion, but I'm still interested in tinkering.
>
> Thanks, Rob Riggins

Go the 507 route for sure.

The tire selection is much larger, and it may fit on the Rocket better. I'll have to check out my sister-in-law's Rocket - you've an interesting idea!

I have one. 26 x 520 . It measures just under 22 1/2 inches.

The 24 inch nomenclature is a bit misleading, huh???

Tom

"Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have one. 26 x 520 . It measures just under 22 1/2 inches. The 24 inch nomenclature is a bit
> misleading, huh???

If Rob wants a true 24" diameter tire, he may be best off with a "26 inch".

Using a 25mm x 559 Stelvio or Conti gets you very close.

(559 + (2 x 25)) / 25.4 = 23.98"

Tom Blum wrote:
>I have one. 26 x 520 . It measures just under 22 1/2 inches.
The 24 inch nomenclature is a bit misleading, huh???

Tom, that old nomenclature was based on overall diameter, with the tire included! :)

"Tom Blum wrote:
>I have one. 26 x 520 . It measures just under 22 1/2 inches.
The 24 inch nomenclature is a bit misleading, huh???

Tom, that old nomenclature was based on overall diameter, with the tire included! :)"

The 22 1/2 inch measurement IS of the tire OD while mounted and inflated on the rim.

Tom

Tom Blum wrote:
> I have one. 26 x 520 . It measures just under 22 1/2 inches.
>
> The 24 inch nomenclature is a bit misleading, huh???

My 24x1.25 (32x507) is close to 22 1/2 inches, too. The 54x507
(24x2.00) is very close to a true 24 inches. A true 24 inches, however, may not fit on a Rocket.

As an aside, when I changed rim sizes, I was able to simply reposition the brake pads to compensate.
Going from a 406 to a 507 will not let you get off the hook so easily, though.

Tom Blum wrote:
>The 22 1/2 inch measurement IS of the tire OD while mounted and inflated on the rim.

Sorry, thought you were looking for clarification on why it can be misleading. Sizing originally was based on balloon tires :)

R.R., if you want, go to:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#traditional

for a complete explanation on tire sizing.

You might also consider the 540 "twenty-four inch" size - there are assorted wheelchair tyres
available in this diameter.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/