rockshox judy query

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Colin Bell, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Colin Bell

    Colin Bell Guest

    hi, i have a set of rockshox judy xc 2001 model,bought new and only used for a few months and then a
    front to rear knocking developed(def. not the headset,def. movement in the forks). a few people had
    a look and reckoned it was shims gone,as they are apparently a weak point with these forks.
    unfortunately i never received a warranty card,so am stuffed for the warranty. anyone any
    recommendations re: dismantling,reassembly etc.?? as i have never dismantled a pair of forks
    before,though i will have a friend helping who has been there before. also,someone had recommended
    either fitting 2 pairs of shims,or 2002 model shims. anyone heard of this ?? many thanks, col

    Tags:

  2. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    you haven't ovalised your headtube have you?

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi, i have a set of rockshox judy xc 2001 model,bought new and only used for a few months and then
    > a front to rear knocking developed(def. not the headset,def. movement in the forks). a few people
    > had a look and reckoned
    it
    > was shims gone,as they are apparently a weak point with these forks. unfortunately i never
    > received a warranty card,so am stuffed for the warranty. anyone any recommendations re:
    > dismantling,reassembly etc.?? as i have
    never
    > dismantled a pair of forks before,though i will have a friend helping who has been there before.
    > also,someone had recommended either fitting 2 pairs of shims,or 2002 model shims. anyone heard of
    > this ?? many thanks, col

    Place them violently in a large metal refuse receptacle, and run very very fast to your nearest
    Marzocchi dealer.

    Shaun aRe - Someone had to say it.

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    COLIN BELL wrote:
    > hi, i have a set of rockshox judy xc 2001 model,bought new and only used for a few months and then
    > a front to rear knocking developed(def. not the headset,def. movement in the forks). a few people
    > had a look and reckoned it was shims gone,as they are apparently a weak point with these forks.
    > unfortunately i never received a warranty card,so am stuffed for the warranty.

    But surely you kept the receipt from the bike shop. Just take them back and complain. The shop
    should deal with all the warranty issues anyway.

    > anyone any recommendations re: dismantling,reassembly etc.?? as i have never dismantled a pair of
    > forks before,though i will have a friend helping who has been there before. also,someone had
    > recommended either fitting 2 pairs of shims,or 2002 model shims. anyone heard of this ??

    Instructions on discombobulation and reassembly will be in the manual you got with them.

  5. Colin Bell

    Colin Bell Guest

    got them mail order from wiggle,they say there should have been a warranty card with them,and wont
    do warranty work without it. whats with the faqs?? col

    > COLIN BELL wrote:
    > > hi, i have a set of rockshox judy xc 2001 model,bought new and only used for
    > > few months and then a front to rear knocking developed(def. not the headset,def. movement in the
    > > forks). a few people had a look and
    reckoned it
    > > was shims gone,as they are apparently a weak point with these forks. unfortunately i never
    > > received a warranty card,so am stuffed for the warranty.
    >
    > But surely you kept the receipt from the bike shop. Just take them back and complain. The shop
    > should deal with all the warranty issues anyway.
    >
    > > anyone any recommendations re: dismantling,reassembly etc.?? as i have
    never
    > > dismantled a pair of forks before,though i will have a friend helping
    who
    > > has been there before. also,someone had recommended either fitting 2 pairs of shims,or 2002
    model
    > > shims. anyone heard of this ??
    >
    > Instructions on discombobulation and reassembly will be in the manual you got with them.
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Place them violently in a large metal refuse receptacle, and run very
    very
    > > fast to your nearest Marzocchi dealer.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - Someone had to say it.

    > first pair of sus forks after 9 or so years of riding rigid,and they
    seemed
    > ok to me got them cheap,and marzocchis were a fair bit dearer col

    Aye, but they don't start getting messed up after a short while of use.

    I asked here before I got forks for the bike I was building. I was steered well clear of Rockshox,
    and towards Marzocchi. I haven't looked back since.

    Later.

    Shaun aRe

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > got them mail order from wiggle,they say there should have been a warranty card with them,and wont
    > do warranty work without it. whats with the faqs?? col

    What's with the "what's with the faqs??"

    ',;~}

    Bomba assembled and maintained the FAQ's for both alt.bmx and here. Did you look at them?

    Shaun aRe - P.s. 'Hi!'.

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    COLIN BELL wrote:
    > got them mail order from wiggle,they say there should have been a warranty card with them,and wont
    > do warranty work without it.

    But you do still have the receipt, right? Might be worth contacting trading standards because it
    sounds like their dodging their responsibilities. Refusing to deal with you without a warranty card,
    when they've not actually sent one out with the product, sounds like a con.

    I'm not too hot up on trading laws, but the issue should be with Wiggle and RS (or their importers),
    not with you. Have a word with your local CAB (citizen's advice bureau) - they should be able to
    help you out.

    I've certainly never had to produce a 'warranty card' for any returned items. Anyone else?

    > whats with the faqs??

    They're pointers for how the groups run, answers to oft-asked questions and a source of information.
    The mountain bike one really needs working on, but I've been busy with other stuff lately.

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Aye, but they don't start getting messed up after a short while of use.
    > >
    > > I asked here before I got forks for the bike I was building. I was
    steered
    > > well clear of Rockshox, and towards Marzocchi. I haven't looked back
    > since.
    > >
    > > Later.
    > >
    > hmmm fair enuff have made my bed at the mo tho,so will see how they fare when fixed if they give
    > me any more grief,then they can go on ebay and ill look at marzocchis col

    They are know for being a pain with the bushings wearing, and Rockshox tends not to support (with
    spare parts etc.) there products beyond 3 years from date of manufacture.

    Shaun aRe

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > got them mail order from wiggle,they say there should have been a
    > warranty
    > > > card with them,and wont do warranty work without it. whats with the faqs?? col
    > >
    > > What's with the "what's with the faqs??"
    > >
    > > ',;~}
    > >
    > > Bomba assembled and maintained the FAQ's for both alt.bmx and here. Did
    > you
    > > look at them?
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe - P.s. 'Hi!'.

    > yep,had a look

    And missed the bit about posting your reply _under_ the quoted material (being the preference here)
    instead of above ('top posting')? Tut-tut! ',;~}

    > thot u were subtlely hinting that i had overlooked something obvious in
    the
    > faq eg dont ask daft questions about duff forks or summat 8 ) col

    Nah - it's just there so people can find it easily and point others who need it toward it.

    Shaun aRe

  11. Colin Bell

    Colin Bell Guest

    > > > ',;~}
    > > >
    > > > Bomba assembled and maintained the FAQ's for both alt.bmx and here.
    Did
    > > you
    > > > look at them?
    > > >

    > > > Shaun aRe - P.s. 'Hi!'.
    >
    > > yep,had a look
    >
    > And missed the bit about posting your reply _under_ the quoted material (being the preference
    > here) instead of above ('top posting')? Tut-tut!
    ',;~}

    goddamnit,so many funny-shaped hoops to jump through just to get some help with my forks will study
    them harder col

  12. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Instructions on discombobulation and reassembly will be in the manual you got with them.

    My rockshox manual pretty much says "blah blah blah here's a useless picture of your fork, if you
    need to do any maintenance go to an authorized dealer."

  13. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > My rockshox manual pretty much says "blah blah blah here's a useless
    picture
    > of your fork, if you need to do any maintenance go to an authorized
    dealer."

    Yup...my Duke manual says to wipe it down occasionally, then go to the dealer every 100 miles. In a
    41-page manual, there are exactly 7 pages in English. Meanwhile, Manitou practically
    reverse-engineers the Black for you with its instructions.

    My Duke SL is brand-new, and should be going on my not-quite-a-beater bike very soon. If it implodes
    like so many RSs have, I sure won't be smilin'.

    Chris

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > > My rockshox manual pretty much says "blah blah blah here's a useless
    > picture
    > > of your fork, if you need to do any maintenance go to an authorized
    > dealer."
    > >

    > Yup...my Duke manual says to wipe it down occasionally, then go to the dealer every 100 miles.

    Built in obsolescence. The Z1 XFly on the Freak bike has not been to the dealer (or had any
    maintenance) in the two years it has been in use. Get rid of that crappy rs junk and get a
    real shock.

    JD

  15. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    Sounds like the bushes have not been installed and seated correctly in manufacturing. This means
    that under compression the lower bushes ride up and cause slop, put your finger between the fork
    inner leg and the brake arch apply the front brake and rock the fork forward and back if there is
    independent movement between the two points its bushing related. Also check the lower bolts on the
    fork outers and ensure these are tight.

    The fork should operate for at least 30 days after which time it will fall under the fork
    manufacturers warranty, which is up to their terms and conditions, the bushes on these forks is the
    same as all Judy's so new bushes should be easy to source.

    Cheers

    David

  16. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > My rockshox manual pretty much says "blah blah blah here's a useless
    > > picture
    > > > of your fork, if you need to do any maintenance go to an authorized
    > > dealer."
    > > >

    > > Yup...my Duke manual says to wipe it down occasionally, then go to the dealer every 100 miles.
    >
    > Built in obsolescence. The Z1 XFly on the Freak bike has not been to the dealer (or had any
    > maintenance) in the two years it has been in use. Get rid of that crappy rs junk and get a
    > real shock.
    >
    > JD

    I think I'll ride that crappy junk into the ground first. Want to get my money's worth ;)

  17. David Bailey wrote:
    > COLIN BELL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Sounds like the bushes have not been installed and seated correctly in manufacturing. This means
    > that under compression the lower bushes ride up and cause slop, put your finger between the fork
    > inner leg and the brake arch apply the front brake and rock the fork forward and back if there is
    > independent movement between the two points its bushing related. Also check the lower bolts on the
    > fork outers and ensure these are tight.
    >
    > The fork should operate for at least 30 days after which time it will fall under the fork
    > manufacturers warranty, which is up to their terms and conditions, the bushes on these forks is
    > the same as all Judy's so new bushes should be easy to source.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > David

    Correction, all NEW judy's. good luck finding bushings for the 2000 or sooner model forks (coming
    soon: no support for 2001 forks!)

    I mean, who really rides a bike for more than 2 years anyway?

    Jon Bond

  18. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Cinder Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > picture
    > > > dealer."
    > > > >

    > > > Yup...my Duke manual says to wipe it down occasionally, then go to the dealer every 100 miles.
    > >
    > > Built in obsolescence. The Z1 XFly on the Freak bike has not been to the dealer (or had any
    > > maintenance) in the two years it has been in use. Get rid of that crappy rs junk and get a real
    > > shock.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > I think I'll ride that crappy junk into the ground first. Want to get my money's worth ;)

    Well that won't take long. ;^) Just make sure to really get your "money's worth" your next fork is a
    Marzocchi. JD can ride that Z1 XFly until it turns itself into a rigid fork, take it apart, clean it
    up, new seals, bushings and oil and it'll ride just like new. RS's are disposable.

    Mike

  19. Chris

    Chris Guest

    > Well that won't take long. ;^) Just make sure to really get your
    "money's
    > worth" your next fork is a Marzocchi. JD can ride that Z1 XFly until it turns itself into a rigid
    > fork, take it apart, clean it up, new seals, bushings and oil and it'll ride just like new. RS's
    > are disposable.
    >
    > Mike

    ...But the "money's worth" part is where my point is made. I got a new '02 Duke SL for $150, and as
    much as I would have liked a Zoke, your not gonna get one brand new for that kind of cash. Remember,
    it is for my commuter/goof around bike anyway. When the Black Elite on my baby gives it up - in a
    few years - then it's Marzocchi time.

    I'm looking at it like (decent fork + crankset + derailleurs) > awesome fork.

    Chris

  20. COLIN BELL wrote:

    > hi, i have a set of rockshox judy xc 2001 model,bought new and only used for a few months and then
    > a front to rear knocking developed(def. not the headset,def. movement in the forks). a few people
    > had a look and reckoned it was shims gone,as they are apparently a weak point with these forks.
    > unfortunately i never received a warranty card,so am stuffed for the warranty. anyone any
    > recommendations re: dismantling,reassembly etc.?? as i have never dismantled a pair of forks
    > before,though i will have a friend helping who has been there before. also,someone had recommended
    > either fitting 2 pairs of shims,or 2002 model shims. anyone heard of this ?? many thanks, col

    Colin,

    The manual for that fork is available at rockshox.com. Download it and use it. I have a 2000 Judy
    Race, and I've pulled it apart a few times. They're pretty simple inside, and the manual (at least
    for 2000) is pretty good. You will need a few tools, so plan on spending a few $$ at the local
    hardware store.

    Follow the section about changing the all-travel spacers, and see what's inside making the noise.

    Also, I've heard of some Judy's making noise from the spring hitting the inside of the fork legs.
    However, if the fork is visually flexing it's more than the spring.