RockShox top cap gives trouble to "a friend"

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Andrew, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable wrenc
    and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get the
    appropriate socket and ratchet (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket wont
    engage anymore. Now, What's "a friend" to do to take the damn thing out? Thanks Guys I know what's
    coming, but please at least be merciful and say something helpful

    Tags:

  2. "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable
    > wrenc and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get
    > the appropriate socket and
    ratchet
    > (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket wont engage anymore. Now, What's "a
    > friend" to do to take the damn thing out?

    You may want to try to dremel the cap down to a smaller size and use a smaller socket, but that's
    pretty sketchy.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:[email protected]...
    > Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable
    > wrenc and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get
    > the appropriate socket and
    ratchet
    > (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket wont engage anymore. Now, What's "a
    > friend" to do to take the damn thing out? Thanks Guys I know what's coming, but please at least be
    > merciful and say something helpful

    I am having a mental picture of mangled plastic here. If the cap is truly dead, you could try
    channel locks or a vice grip.

    -Dave

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable
    > wrenc and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get
    > the appropriate socket and ratchet (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket
    > wont engage anymore. Now, What's "a friend" to do to take the damn thing out? Thanks Guys I know
    > what's coming, but please at least be merciful and say something helpful

    I've never used one, but if I was desperate I wouldn't even think twice
    http://gator-grip.com/order.htm

    You could probably pick one up at your local home center.

    And tell your "friend" to be more careful next time ;^ 0
    --
    Slacker

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable
    > wrenc and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get
    > the appropriate socket and
    ratchet
    > (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket wont engage anymore. Now, What's "a
    > friend" to do to take the damn thing out? Thanks Guys I know what's coming, but please at least be
    > merciful and say something helpful

    Dremel or grind a big ol' groove thru that Gianni plastic cap. Then open 'er up with a big ol'
    screwdriver.

    Gnarler of many such items,

    Bill (a Friend to parts...not)

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andrew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable
    > wrenc and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get
    > the appropriate socket and
    ratchet
    > (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket wont engage anymore. Now, What's "a
    > friend" to do to take the damn thing out? Thanks Guys I know what's coming, but please at least be
    > merciful and say something helpful

    survived this long...........

    Ahem, well, onto the problem!

    I take it your utterly dozy friend has mashed the nut-style corners of the plastic cap? Has this
    caused the socket to 'slip' round on the cap, or has it made it so the socket won't even go onto it?

    If it's the latter, then just take a sharp knife and trim off the burrs until the socket fits.

    If it's the former, you'll maybe have to get a bit more creative on it - vice grips or some-such
    maybe, or (maybe this will work...) get the next size down socket, and with it attached to a 'T'
    bar, heat it until it's _just_ (don't over do it!) hot enough to melt the plastic. Push it onto the
    cap centrally and squarely until it melts it to fit inside of it. Pour on cold water until the
    melted plastic sets. Unscrew!

    Shaun aRe - These things both 'have worked' and 'have not worked' (at different times of course) -
    YMM_N_V! ',;~}~

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable
    > wrenc and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get
    > the appropriate socket and ratchet (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket
    > wont engage anymore. Now, What's "a friend" to do to take the damn thing out? Thanks Guys I know
    > what's coming, but please at least be merciful and say something helpful

    If you're using a 12 point socket -- get/borrow a 6 point socket! If you can't get the socket over
    the mangled corners, file the corners flat again.

    David

  8. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > If it's the former, you'll maybe have to get a bit more creative on
    it -
    > vice grips or some-such maybe, or (maybe this will work...) get the
    next
    > size down socket, and with it attached to a 'T' bar, heat it until
    it's
    > _just_ (don't over do it!) hot enough to melt the plastic. Push it
    onto the
    > cap centrally and squarely until it melts it to fit inside of it. Pour
    on
    > cold water until the melted plastic sets. Unscrew!

    Sheer genius. Mike

  9. M&M

    M&M Guest

    > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Let's say that "a friend" was trying to overhaul his RS fork. A friend was using an adjustable
    > > wrenc and damaged one of the top plastic caps, when he realized what he was doing he went to get
    > > the appropriate socket and ratchet (as directed by the instructions in RS manual) But the socket
    > > wont engage anymore. Now, What's "a friend" to do to take the damn thing out? Thanks Guys I know
    > > what's coming, but please at least be merciful and say something helpful
    >

    > I've never used one, but if I was desperate I wouldn't even think twice
    > http://gator-grip.com/order.htm
    >
    > You could probably pick one up at your local home center.
    >
    > And tell your "friend" to be more careful next time ;^ 0

    Works on my Marzocchi , but then Marzocchi uses metal caps , not plastic. Damn hard to find a
    24mm socket .

    M&M

  10. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 16 Jul 2003 16:33:10 -0700, [email protected] (M&M) may have said:

    > Works on my Marzocchi , but then Marzocchi uses metal caps , not plastic. Damn hard to find a
    > 24mm socket .

    Tried Sears? If I'm not mistaken, they can be had at Autozone as well. And, in a pinch, a cheapie
    15/16" six-point should give an adequate grip on a 24mm, if it isn't a bit tight. (15/16" = 23.8mm,
    and .2mm = (about) .008", less than the amount of slop present in a lot of sockets.) Amurrikin-made
    sockets are slightly more likely to be a little sloppy than German, but Taiwanese or Korean could be
    anywhere from a perfect fit to half a size over. (Hazet is my personal favorite, but they're hard to
    find here.)

    ---

    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  11. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > If it's the former, you'll maybe have to get a bit more creative on
    > it -
    > > vice grips or some-such maybe, or (maybe this will work...) get the
    > next
    > > size down socket, and with it attached to a 'T' bar, heat it until
    > it's
    > > _just_ (don't over do it!) hot enough to melt the plastic. Push it
    > onto the
    > > cap centrally and squarely until it melts it to fit inside of it. Pour
    > on
    > > cold water until the melted plastic sets. Unscrew!
    >
    > Sheer genius.

    Or utter insanity. It _is_ Shaun we're talking about ... ;-)
    --
    Westie

    > Mike

  12. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Taywood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > If it's the former, you'll maybe have to get a bit more creative on
    > it -
    > > vice grips or some-such maybe, or (maybe this will work...) get the
    > next
    > > size down socket, and with it attached to a 'T' bar, heat it until
    > it's
    > > _just_ (don't over do it!) hot enough to melt the plastic. Push it
    > onto the
    > > cap centrally and squarely until it melts it to fit inside of it. Pour
    > on
    > > cold water until the melted plastic sets. Unscrew!
    >
    > Sheer genius. Mike

    Ah, the truth spoken by a wise man ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - if it messes up, it wasn't my idea, OK?

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Westie <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > > If it's the former, you'll maybe have to get a bit more creative on
    > > it -
    > > > vice grips or some-such maybe, or (maybe this will work...) get the
    > > next
    > > > size down socket, and with it attached to a 'T' bar, heat it until
    > > it's
    > > > _just_ (don't over do it!) hot enough to melt the plastic. Push it
    > > onto the
    > > > cap centrally and squarely until it melts it to fit inside of it. Pour
    > > on
    > > > cold water until the melted plastic sets. Unscrew!
    > >
    > > Sheer genius.
    >
    > Or utter insanity. It _is_ Shaun we're talking about ... ;-)

    Genius and madness are close neighbours my friend. The wise man and the fool merely different
    sides of the same coin, neither able to exist without the other. Bear this in mind, and you will
    go far in life.

    Shaun aRe - Just some wise idiot from Lancashire.

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Dave Stocker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    >
    > describes neat plactic nut trick.
    >
    > > "Taywood" <[email protected]> thought is was
    > > >
    > > > Sheer genius.
    > >

    > "Westie" <[email protected]> answered >
    > > Or utter insanity. It _is_ Shaun we're talking about ... ;-)
    >
    > Both. It is probably how he got his Jacob's ladder together.

    Heheheheh - you hit the screw on the head there ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - no loose screws.