Rocky Mountain ETSX30

Andy Chequer

Guest
Alright AMB

I was in my LBS yesterday and they had one of these things in stock.

I liked:-

1) The fact that the cockpit feels very similar to my Zaskar's set up so I should feel at
home on it.

2) The quality of construction - welds are well made, all the suspension parts seem nicely
finished. Nice shiney paint.

3) The Race Face finishing kit.

4) The fully ballraced rear end. Not a nylon bush to be seen (except the shock I suppose).

5) It's red

6) It's not covered in dents and generally falling apart at the seams.

7) I can get it on 0% tick.

I didn't like:-

8) Some fairly low rent drivetrain parts on a bike of this price - Deore Crankset (and, more
worryingly, a Deore BB) on a 1900 quid bike. Nasty looking Ritchey headset. Cheap Mavic
disc rims.

9) The fact that they wouldn't give it to me for free.

10) It's red.

I wasn't sure about:-

11) The ride, as I didn't ride it. But they reckon they've got a demo machine on the way.

12) It's red.

13) The unfamiliar suspension design.

I was just wondering if anyone here has one or has first hand experience of one and would care to
comment on it. I fancy it as it's different from the Specialized FSR's, GT I drives, Orange Subs and
SC Superlights that seem to constitute 90% of the UK's susser population.

Penny for your thoughts? Actually, no, you've got a Kona IIRC ;-)

Andy Chequer

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> ... Not a nylon bush to be seen

On second thought, nah!

Bill "obviously overdue (for a ride, among other things)" S.

"Andy Chequer"

> I was just wondering if anyone here has one or has first hand experience
of
> one and would care to comment on it. I fancy it as it's different from the Specialized FSR's, GT I
> drives, Orange Subs and SC Superlights that seem
> constitute 90% of the UK's susser population.
>
> Penny for your thoughts? Actually, no, you've got a Kona IIRC ;-)
>
> Andy Chequer

I owned a Rocky Mountain Instinct.... The design and quality of the frame was good... My only
complaint was the pivots... which RM addressed when they built the ETSX30... Sealed bearings.... I
wish they had thought to do that to the Instinct... I would still own
it... I test rode an ETS and liked it... My LBS guy put it best for me when he said that the ETS is
what every Instinct/Element owner would have wanted in their bikes....

Jimbo(san)

> I owned a Rocky Mountain Instinct.... The design and quality of the frame was good... My only
> complaint was the pivots... which RM addressed when
they
> built the ETSX30... Sealed bearings.... I wish they had thought to do that to the Instinct... I
> would still own
> it... I test rode an ETS and liked it... My LBS guy put it best for me when he said that the ETS
> is what every Instinct/Element owner would have wanted in their bikes....
>

> Jimbo(san)

They had some shorter travel RM bikes there (the names of which escape me) which all had nylon bush
suspension. Strikes me as a fairly obvious omission from a decent susser.

Cheers for the input Jimbo.

Andy Chequer

Andy Chequer wrote:
> Penny for your thoughts? Actually, no, you've got a Kona IIRC ;-)

Friend of mine has one, and a few other full sus bikes as well, and he likes is enough to have it
custom painted.

I don't think you'll be disapointed if you buy one. Oh and about the Deore parts, they actually are
rather okay just replaced them when they get worn so no need to worry about them.

Regards

Bruno

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> They had some shorter travel RM bikes there (the names of which escape me) which all had nylon
> bush suspension. Strikes me as a fairly obvious omission from a decent susser.

Well, I don't know what I've managed to do wrong, but I've been riding my '01 Element for two years
now (about 3-4k miles) and I haven't had a single issue with the pivots. I haven't opened them once,
they haven't squeaked and the rear end is still as stiff as new. What's going on?-)

Juho

Originally posted by Andy Chequer
[...]

Originally posted by Ozwald

Andy,

I rode a 24hrs. just a while back on my ETX and it performed well beyond what I had ever imagined.
I am a year older than last year when I rode the same race and felt better this year than last. As a matter of fact I was blurring by ETX 50's and 70's so the component thing didn't really help them at all.
All in all I am glad I paid the price for this bike for it has made me a better, more confident rider.

Oz