Rocky Mountain RM6

bbmyster

Apr 2, 2004
Hi Gang , just wondered if anyone could give me some sort of review on the Rocky Mountain RM6 Bike . I recently Purchased a used one for $1200. Cdn . and don't know too much about them . Thank's !!:)

well its kinda late now huh? why dont you take it out and get it dirty and tell us how it is?

Well.......Hi Gang , it's been awhile, and yes , i did take it out and it was sweet !!........key word.......being WAS........lol...........ya see.........wife had a baby andwe needed a little better transportation then 2 wheels so it got traded in for 4 wheels and some cash back my way ! so it all worked out well ...... However !, with all that said , i have since purchased Another RM6 Frame for $ 300. Cdn , and have started collecting parts for it......... my first and Hopefully Only trubble so far is that i received a Front Derailleur, Top Pull , 31.8mm but it doesn't fit on the frame. The position where the clamp should go is Below instead of on top ?.......does this make sense ? & are they available like that ? . Unfortunately, i forgot to take some pics of it before i sold it but i Do know that the original specs called for a Top Pull 31.8mm Shimano LX Derailleur. I was told that the XT would fit it, and got it but sadly.........it doesn't .....hope someone can shed some light on this for me and spin me around and send me in the correct direction. :)

bbmyster said:
Well.......Hi Gang , it's been awhile, and yes , i did take it out and it was sweet !!........key word.......being WAS........lol...........ya see.........wife had a baby andwe needed a little better transportation then 2 wheels so it got traded in for 4 wheels and some cash back my way ! so it all worked out well ...... However !, with all that said , i have since purchased Another RM6 Frame for $ 300. Cdn , and have started collecting parts for it......... my first and Hopefully Only trubble so far is that i received a Front Derailleur, Top Pull , 31.8mm but it doesn't fit on the frame. The position where the clamp should go is Below instead of on top ?.......does this make sense ? & are they available like that ? . Unfortunately, i forgot to take some pics of it before i sold it but i Do know that the original specs called for a Top Pull 31.8mm Shimano LX Derailleur. I was told that the XT would fit it, and got it but sadly.........it doesn't .....hope someone can shed some light on this for me and spin me around and send me in the correct direction. :)
ahh yeah.. front derallieurs come in firstly top and bottom pull as you know, then you can get top or bottom mount, which obviously is where if you have a top mount derallieur the mount is at the top and above the cage, reverse for the bottom mount.

like if you look at this (not very easy to see but it was the first pic i found :D) http://velosportonline.com/smsimg/16/1106lxgroupset.jpg at the top right theres the 3 front derallieurs from the left they are bottom mount, top mount and E-type (mounts under the bottom bracket and has a bracket that goes around the seat tube

i guess your derallieur is top mount and a bottle braze-on gets in the way or something?

Thank's for the info, it is gonna go ALONG way in getting me the correct Derailleur i need , you are right , i need the Top Pull, with the bottom bracket ., it isn't neccesarily the bottle braze that's in the way, but not enough room between where it clamps onto and the sprocket , and not low enough to clamp on without interfering with the Crank. I am going to the bike shop tomorrow, the guy there swears he has what i am looking for......we'll see!!.

From what i can tell , i need the Top Pull , But Bottom Clamp ...........either in 34.9 , 0r 31.8, it specifically calls for 31.8 , but i can always shim it up .. Maybe he'll do a trade in as the XT is a brand new Derailleur , we'll see.

I'll let you know how i make out and Thank's again for the pics and info . I got the sprocket today, ( Raceface Prodigy ) so i installed the crank assy. and tried it again just to make sure i wasn't missing something but it Definitely doesn't work for my setup. Goes to show..........make sure ya get what yer after and take pics & notes of the last one ya had..........lol :p