Rocky Mounts roof racks

ryanspeer

Jul 19, 2006
Does anybody have experience with these? I read the reviews linked through roadbikereviews.com and they're all fantastic, but I'm just curious if any of you have experience with them.

I really dig the custom colors and the Noose in particular (mounts to factory roof racks) is what I'm eyeballing.

For the price they are fantastic. You can't go wrong with the color choices either.

ryanspeer said:
Does anybody have experience with these? I read the reviews linked through roadbikereviews.com and they're all fantastic, but I'm just curious if any of you have experience with them.

I really dig the custom colors and the Noose in particular (mounts to factory roof racks) is what I'm eyeballing.

I have a Rocky Mounts noose in my basement that im not using (got a different vehicle, no more roof rack) that i would consider selling if your really interested, it is red (can order new ones from what i remember) and comes with a locking core. these work GREAT, i had my 25pound mtb on it and never thought twice about it coming off. its in pretty good shape, there is a lil rust where the fork attatches, but thats from being left on the vehicle, i think that will happen to any of them if you leave them on the vehicle.

but now without a roof rack, i have no use for it.

i paid something like 85 for it two years ago, make me a reasonable shipped offer if your interested :)

thebeatcatcher said:
are they better than yakima or thule?
ive never owned yakima or thule, but the rocky mounts are all metal where it counts. the only thing thats plastic is the rear tire tie-down strap, and the handle for the front fork mount. they are made here in america as well.

ive read elsewhere that people liked them just as well as the yakima or thule, but they are near half the price.

mongooseboy said:
ive never owned yakima or thule, but the rocky mounts are all metal where it counts. the only thing thats plastic is the rear tire tie-down strap, and the handle for the front fork mount. they are made here in america as well.

ive read elsewhere that people liked them just as well as the yakima or thule, but they are near half the price.

My rack is a Thule but I have one Rocky Mount bike carrier - full tray, and it's my favorite of the four that are attached to the rack.

Mongooseboy - I actually ordered the second before your post above where you offered yours for sale. As Murphy's Law would have it, I was ordering a red one, too . . . Oh well - it arrived and looks and works beautifully. I don't know what shipping would cost, but I'll keep you in mind if/when I need a third.

I've never owned Yakima or Thule before and obviously the brand names carry a lot of clout, but I couldn't be more pleased with my two Rocky Mounts Noose racks. I have no doubts of their longetivity, the custom colors they come in looks freakin' killer (whereas you get black, black, or black, with Thule and Yakima) and they're a good deal cheaper.

Couldn't be more pleased with them!

The only disadvantage of the Rocky Mounts is that the trays are painted, and when the metal under it oxidizes slightly, the paint flakes off. Yakima is definitely anodized so does not have this problem. Thule I think is also anodized but I don't know.

INNO (a Japanese based company, www.rv-inno.com) offers a good round/rectangular compatible fork mount with locks included as well as the strongest rectangular bars I know of. They are anodized and my rack set (left outside on a Subaru for three years now) shows no signs of corrosion except the lock is stiff and the mounting bolts have some discoloration on them. Trays, feet, and bars are immaculate.

Personally, last year I owned a relatively new Yakima, an older Thule, and relatively new INNO rack. I sold the Yakima, am saving the Thule only for its feet and stretch kit (the trays I threw out), and use the INNO with the INNO fork mounts and a fantastic Thule tandem mount. When I mount the Thule feet on my short roofline car, I'll be using INNO bars and fork mount carriers.

I pay the same rate for any of the racks so that is not a factor.

I should point out that although I never worked for INNO, I did help them out on a volunteer basis. I worked their booth at Interbike for two years. They paid for my hotel room but I had to pay for food, a lot of gas (from San Diego), and my flight. They sponsor the Jelly Belly squad and I helped mount the team racks on their cars and SUV at the beginning of two different seasons. I would not have recommended them if I didn't think they deserved it.

cdr

Those Inno racks look nice, but I think I'd prefer the larger clamp area on the front of the Rocky Mount Noose racks so that I don't have to worry about crushing/crimping the factory roof racks with something that covers less area. The Rocky Mounts look like they'd be noticeably stiffer laterally due to the significantly wider clamp area. The cost is also about 30% less than the Inno racks. Inno's do look very nice nonetheless.

I could be wrong on the Rocky Mounts, but I think they're powdercoated as opposed to painted. If I'm correct there, that should completely and effectively seal out any and all moisture. If I'm wrong - oh well. :p I'll have to try my luck.

Still though, those two Red Noose's on top of my silver Subaru Outback look killer. :cool: