Rod Brakes and Flat Tubes

Scott Gordo

Guest
I've got an old Rudge with rod brakes that need some new tires. What's
the quickest and easiest way to get the front and rear wheels off of
this thing?

mecej4

Guest
Scott Gordo wrote:
> I've got an old Rudge with rod brakes that need some new tires. What's
> the quickest and easiest way to get the front and rear wheels off of
> this thing?

(i) remove brake pads.

(ii) front: loosen axle nuts; spread fork slightly with your hands and
push down axle with fingers at the same time (or get a helper).

rear: if you have a multi-speed hub, disconnect the shifter chain
at the axle ("regulator"); loosen axle nuts; loosen chain tensioners;
push wheel forward and dismount chain; pull out wheel.

HTH

-- mecej4

A Muzi

Guest
Scott Gordo wrote:
> I've got an old Rudge with rod brakes that need some new tires. What's
> the quickest and easiest way to get the front and rear wheels off of
> this thing?

Drop a brake shoe (or both) if the shoe guides are pierced. Slip the
stirrup out of its guide and swing it out of the way if they are slotted.
Your front fork and hub cones are probably keyholed. Pull out on the
fork blades with your fingers while pressing on the axle ends with your
palms or thumbs.
Oil all fastener threads. If yours is a 3 speed, note Sturmey Archer
axle nuts are relatively soft (so as to not damage axle threads) and
should not be overtightened.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Scott Gordo

Guest
On Aug 19, 6:16 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > I've got an old Rudge with rod brakes that need some new tires. What's
> > the quickest and easiest way to get the front and rear wheels off of
> > this thing?

> Drop a brake shoe (or both) if the shoe guides are pierced. Slip the
> stirrup out of its guide and swing it out of the way if they are slotted.
> Your front fork and hub cones are probably keyholed. Pull out on the
> fork blades with your fingers while pressing on the axle ends with your
> palms or thumbs.
> Oil all fastener threads. If yours is a 3 speed, note Sturmey Archer
> axle nuts are relatively soft (so as to not damage axle threads) and
> should not be overtightened.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's what I figured. I wasn hoping for some little quick release I
was missing.

Thanks! Will do ~

/s