Rode My first Metric Century Today

jonathanburris

Sep 16, 2006
I know this may sound minor to many of you, but I wanted to thank all of you who have posted in these forums. I am a relatively new cyclist. This is my first real season of somewhat "serious" training. I started the season very late (July). I am one year removed from my second ACL reconstruction (both knees). I had been riding once to three times per week (around an hour per session) up until about September when I stepped it up. My biggest limiter has been frequent tendonitis in my knees. My longest ride until today has only been 35 miles.

Today, I rode 63 miles - my first metric century. It was a solo ride. My stats are nothing to brag about, but nevertheless I wanted to share them with everyone.

(from CyclingPeaks - Power Tap Import)
Entire workout (135 watts):
Duration: 3:56:07
Work: 1912 kJ
TSS: 272.7 (intensity factor 0.833)
Norm Power: 167
VI: 1.23
Distance: 62.886 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 767 135 watts
Heart rate: 24 207 164 bpm
Cadence: 25 141 90 rpm
Speed: 0 34.8 16.0 mph
Pace 1:43 0:00 3:45 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 305 65 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 806 133 lb-in

Intake: 2 water bottles and 3 gel packs.
Terrain: Lots of hills.

Again, the stats are nothing great. However, this is a huge milestone for me and I just wanted to share it with you guys. Thanks again for all your tips and opinions.

JB

jonathanburris said:
Today, I rode 63 miles - my first metric century. It was a solo ride. My stats are nothing to brag about, but nevertheless I wanted to share them with everyone.

<snip>

Intake: 2 water bottles and 3 gel packs.
Terrain: Lots of hills.

<snip>
Great job on accomplishing this! I know a lot of people that cycle that never go more than 30-40miles, so the more you stretch your distance the smaller group of cyclists you put yourself in.

I gotta wonder though! Only 2 water bottles in 4 hours? Even in cold weather, I'm at least a bottle an hour. It's hard in the cold weather, but hydration is just as important.

Congrats again!

jonathanburris said:
I know this may sound minor to many of you,
Not at all. Well done. I remember my first time doing 100km (I was on an MTB, didn't have a road bike). I had a big grin that day. Didn't have power meters back then either. But you sure have the right tools to keep improving from here.

2 x 2 x ACL - ouch!!:eek:

jonathanburris said:
Norm Power: 167
I'm smiling because I think my first long ride (100 miles) after a long layoff was almost exactly 167W NP. Need I say, well done!;)