Rodent Ulcer (BCC)

Lara

Guest
My father has been diagnosed as having a rodent ulcer on the side of his nose (where the spectacle
nose rest sits).

The suggested method of treatment by his consultant is to cut out the area concerned under local
anaesthetic, then skin graft the area - most prob by using a flap fropm his cheek.

As a novice, this method seems very over complex to me. My grandmother had a rodent ulcer on the
back of her neck and this was treated 100% successfully by radiotherapy.

Can anyone tell me if my dad has any other options to consider other than this skin grafting thing?

Paul

Lara <[email protected]> wrote:

> My father has been diagnosed as having a rodent ulcer on the side of his nose (where the spectacle
> nose rest sits).
>
> The suggested method of treatment by his consultant is to cut out the area concerned under local
> anaesthetic, then skin graft the area - most prob by using a flap fropm his cheek.
>
> As a novice, this method seems very over complex to me. My grandmother had a rodent ulcer on the
> back of her neck and this was treated 100% successfully by radiotherapy.
>
> Can anyone tell me if my dad has any other options to consider other than this skin
> grafting thing?
It depends on the size of the tumor, but most BCCs can be treated with radiotherapy. Get a second
opinion, take your dad to an oncologist.

--
madiba

"Lara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My father has been diagnosed as having a rodent ulcer on the side of his nose (where the spectacle
> nose rest sits).
>
> The suggested method of treatment by his consultant is to cut out the area concerned under local
> anaesthetic, then skin graft the area - most prob by using a flap fropm his cheek.
>
> As a novice, this method seems very over complex to me. My grandmother had
> rodent ulcer on the back of her neck and this was treated 100%
successfully
> by radiotherapy.
>
> Can anyone tell me if my dad has any other options to consider other than this skin
> grafting thing?
>
> Paul

I treat BCCs in this site with radiotherapy all the time. 95+% cure rate (as good as surgery) Get a
radiation oncology opinion

"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Lara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ffee0dc$0$13352$cc9e4d1f@news-
> text.dial.pipex.com...
> > My father has been diagnosed as having a rodent ulcer on the side of his nose (where the
> > spectacle nose rest sits).
> >
> > The suggested method of treatment by his consultant is to cut out the
area
> > concerned under local anaesthetic, then skin graft the area - most prob
by
> > using a flap fropm his cheek.
> >
> > As a novice, this method seems very over complex to me. My grandmother
had
> > rodent ulcer on the back of her neck and this was treated 100%
> successfully
> > by radiotherapy.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if my dad has any other options to consider other
than
> > this skin grafting thing?
> >
> > Paul
> >

> I treat BCCs in this site with radiotherapy all the time. 95+% cure rate
(as
> good as surgery) Get a radiation oncology opinion

There is a common perception among medicos that it is unwise to irradiate near the eye. Comment? Any
twenty to thirty year studies?

Peter Moran

"Peter Moran" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:N2LLb.41347$X%5.34653@pd7tw2no...
> >
> > "Lara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ffee0dc$0$13352$cc9e4d1f@news-
> > text.dial.pipex.com...
> > > My father has been diagnosed as having a rodent ulcer on the side of
his
> > > nose (where the spectacle nose rest sits).
> > >
> > > The suggested method of treatment by his consultant is to cut out the
> area
> > > concerned under local anaesthetic, then skin graft the area - most
prob
> by
> > > using a flap fropm his cheek.
> > >
> > > As a novice, this method seems very over complex to me. My grandmother
> had
> > > rodent ulcer on the back of her neck and this was treated 100%
> > successfully
> > > by radiotherapy.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me if my dad has any other options to consider other
> than
> > > this skin grafting thing?
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > I treat BCCs in this site with radiotherapy all the time. 95+% cure rate
> (as
> > good as surgery) Get a radiation oncology opinion
>
> There is a common perception among medicos that it is unwise to irradiate near the eye. Comment?
> Any twenty to thirty year studies?
>
> Peter Moran

"medicos" but not radiation oncologists. The dose to eye (the lens most importantly) from treating a
lesion on the nose with 100-150kv radiation is extremely small, certainly much below the threshold
dose for cataract. As we've discussed before, the cosmetic results are as good or better than with
surgery and a graft, It's a no brainer Peter.

Peter Moran <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:N2LLb.41347$X%5.34653@pd7tw2no...
> >
> > "Lara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ffee0dc$0$13352$cc9e4d1f@news-
> > text.dial.pipex.com...
> > > My father has been diagnosed as having a rodent ulcer on the side of his nose (where the
> > > spectacle nose rest sits).
> > >
> > > The suggested method of treatment by his consultant is to cut out the
> area
> > > concerned under local anaesthetic, then skin graft the area - most prob
> by
> > > using a flap fropm his cheek.
> > >
> > > As a novice, this method seems very over complex to me. My grandmother
> had
> > > rodent ulcer on the back of her neck and this was treated 100%
> > successfully
> > > by radiotherapy.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me if my dad has any other options to consider other
> than
> > > this skin grafting thing?
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > I treat BCCs in this site with radiotherapy all the time. 95+% cure rate
> (as
> > good as surgery) Get a radiation oncology opinion
>
> There is a common perception among medicos that it is unwise to irradiate near the eye. Comment?
> Any twenty to thirty year studies?

Probably see an increase in cataracts. But thats part of the package..

--
madiba

Thanks to all of you that have contributed to my initial question. I now intend getting a second
opinion for my dad by referal to a radiation oncologist as Steph and Madiba suggested.

Paul

Lara said:
My father has been diagnosed as having a rodent ulcer on the side of his nose (where the spectacle
nose rest sits).

The suggested method of treatment by his consultant is to cut out the area concerned under local
anaesthetic, then skin graft the area - most prob by using a flap fropm his cheek.

As a novice, this method seems very over complex to me. My grandmother had a rodent ulcer on the
back of her neck and this was treated 100% successfully by radiotherapy.

Can anyone tell me if my dad has any other options to consider other than this skin grafting thing?

Paul

Hello, sorry this seems to be going back a long time now, however, I was searching my father's condition online and came across your post. My Father has exactly the same issue with BBC as your fathers, including location of BCC etc and I was wondering if he went ahead with the treatment? We are in the phase of deciding what to do and some radical surgery is on the cards. I hope your father is now in good health.
Kind Regards
PS.