Roe Highway Extension

number31

Feb 19, 2006
This is for all those in Perth, has anyone checked out the new roe highway bike path? I got my new FDJ cycling bibs this afternoon :cool: and went for a quick 20km sprint to test them and check out the new bike routes. One word= fantastic. Smooth pavement, no pedestrians, no traffic intersections to stop at.

Any news on whether they are completing it all the way to the coast because that would be a much easier way to get to the coast from Leeming/Jandakot way?

When the Minister opened it the other week, she said it will stop at the Kwinana Freeway! :mad: There are some comments on the TRI WA Forum page.

number31 said:
This is for all those in Perth, has anyone checked out the new roe highway bike path? I got my new FDJ cycling bibs this afternoon :cool: and went for a quick 20km sprint to test them and check out the new bike routes. One word= fantastic. Smooth pavement, no pedestrians, no traffic intersections to stop at.

Any news on whether they are completing it all the way to the coast because that would be a much easier way to get to the coast from Leeming/Jandakot way?
yep, stops at the fwy cause of the cost of not damaging the wetlands it would have to pass through to get to Stock Rd, which was the original termination i believe.

i can now ride from my front door to baldivis without a tyre touching a road, thats about 45kms!!! so i can do a 90km ride without doing battle with a single tin coffin. love it. not sure about the blind corners at the karel ave underpass, shame to have to brake when you're heading down hill, but better than having to stop to cross the road......

where's the best place to get on, get off. full length journey ??

i only really know Roe hway around the canning vale area...how far south does it go? how far north is ridable on the path??

i know perth well so speak freely...just havent bothered checking it out yet and appreciate the tips.

Ricardo29 said:
where's the best place to get on, get off. full length journey ??

i only really know Roe hway around the canning vale area...how far south does it go? how far north is ridable on the path??

i know perth well so speak freely...just havent bothered checking it out yet and appreciate the tips.
from what i saw it is pretty easy to get on/off from all intersections. Southbound it actually goes all the way to the freeway then loops round to the farrington road bridge. Northbound i made it all the way to the kenwick link before my partner wussed out but i assume with the newness of it all it goes pretty far.

number31 said:
from what i saw it is pretty easy to get on/off from all intersections. Southbound it actually goes all the way to the freeway then loops round to the farrington road bridge. Northbound i made it all the way to the kenwick link before my partner wussed out but i assume with the newness of it all it goes pretty far.
as far as welshpool rd, about another 4kms, the path that is, roe hwy of course goes all the way to midland........

The section of the path that is behind Leeming is a great way to avoid Farrington Road with its traffic, although it does have marked bike lanes from Karel Avenue to the just before the freeway north turn-off.

However all should note that this section of Farrington Road is going to be changed from two lanes to one and the bike lane may disappear.

I would rather do the extra kms on the bike path than ride on Farrington Road.

James