Rog Report

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jimbo, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... I have long
    been wondering what ever happened to Rog... For those of you who may be newer to
    alt.mountain-bike... Do yourself a favor and go to Deja and look up some of his posts... Classic
    stuff! Rog always had a self deprecating humor that made his adventure/misadventures a great read.
    Well I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to know... Today I looked up Rog's phone number up in
    Winnipeg.... I tried the number and got an answering machine... good news.. I got the right
    number...Said it was Rog and Linda... the beep went off and I didn't know what to do... What to
    say... " Hi Rog this is Jimbo(san)... Seen any whip snakes lately???" Nahhhh.. I quickly hung up the
    phone... I asked Carla and she said I should call back and leave a message... so I did... Rog picked
    up on the third ring... I tentatively asked him if he remembered a Jimbo(san) from
    alt-mountain-bike..." uhhhh ummmm Seen any Whip snakes lately??? heh heh heh (feeling very goofy as
    the words left my mouth) " He laughed and said no he hadn't.... Then he asked me if
    alt.mountain-bike was still around... I guess major open heart surgery will change your priorities
    in life and he sort of lost track with all of us. He told me that the last year had been a tuff
    one... He said he would never wish that surgery on anyone... He is doing better and has since been
    on the bike a few times this spring and feels well... He had gotten himself good and muddy and ran
    up his heart rate and everything still seemed to be working. He sends his regards to all the usual
    suspects and said he might drop a post one of these days. I get the feeling he isn't in much of a
    hurry to... but like I said priorities change... We chatted for a bit and really didn't talk bikes
    all that much... It got to that moment where there was a pause in the conversation and there really
    wasn't much else to say... We bid each other well... I gave him my email but I didn't hear it being
    written down, but come to think of it I didn't really repeat it in that slow way when you give
    someone your email or phone number. Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to know that
    Rog is okay... He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog will be
    fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike

    Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing effort
    none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... I have
    > long been wondering what ever happened to Rog... For those of you who may be newer to
    > alt.mountain-bike... Do yourself a favor and go to Deja and look up some of his posts... Classic
    > stuff! Rog always had a self deprecating humor that made his adventure/misadventures a great read.
    > Well I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to know... Today I looked up Rog's phone number up in
    > Winnipeg.... I tried the number and got an answering machine... good news.. I got the right
    > number...Said it was Rog and Linda... the beep went off and I didn't know what to do... What to
    > say... " Hi Rog this is Jimbo(san)... Seen any whip snakes lately???" Nahhhh.. I quickly hung up
    > the phone... I asked Carla and she said I should call back and leave a message... so I did... Rog
    > picked up on the third ring... I tentatively asked him if he remembered a Jimbo(san) from
    > alt-mountain-bike..." uhhhh ummmm Seen any Whip snakes lately??? heh heh heh (feeling very goofy
    > as the words left my mouth) " He laughed and said no he hadn't.... Then he asked me if
    > alt.mountain-bike was still around... I guess major open heart surgery will change your priorities
    > in life and he sort of lost track with all of us. He told me that the last year had been a tuff
    > one... He said he would never wish that surgery on anyone... He is doing better and has since been
    > on the bike a few times this spring and feels well... He had gotten himself good and muddy and ran
    > up his heart rate and everything still seemed to be working. He sends his regards to all the usual
    > suspects and said he might drop a post one of these days. I get the feeling he isn't in much of a
    > hurry to... but like I said priorities change... We chatted for a bit and really didn't talk bikes
    > all that much... It got to that moment where there was a pause in the conversation and there
    > really wasn't much else to say... We bid each other well... I gave him my email but I didn't hear
    > it being written down, but come to think of it I didn't really repeat it in that slow way when you
    > give someone your email or phone number. Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to
    > know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog
    > will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    That's a relief! Thanks for the update.

    Should we all pitch in a few dimes for the call?

    Matt

  3. "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... I have
    > long been wondering what ever happened to Rog... For those of you who may be newer to
    > alt.mountain-bike... Do yourself a favor and go to Deja and look up some of his posts... Classic
    > stuff! Rog always had a self deprecating humor that made his adventure/misadventures a great read.
    > Well I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to know... Today I looked up Rog's phone number up in
    > Winnipeg.... I tried the number and got an answering machine... good news.. I got the right
    > number...Said it was Rog and Linda... the beep went off and I didn't know what to do... What to
    > say... " Hi Rog this is Jimbo(san)... Seen any whip snakes lately???" Nahhhh.. I quickly hung up
    > the phone... I asked Carla and she said I should call back and leave a message... so I did... Rog
    > picked up on the third ring... I tentatively asked him if he remembered a Jimbo(san) from
    > alt-mountain-bike..." uhhhh ummmm Seen any Whip snakes lately??? heh heh heh (feeling very goofy
    > as the words left my mouth) " He laughed and said no he hadn't.... Then he asked me if
    > alt.mountain-bike was still around... I guess major open heart surgery will change your priorities
    > in life and he sort of lost track with all of us. He told me that the last year had been a tuff
    > one... He said he would never wish that surgery on anyone... He is doing better and has since been
    > on the bike a few times this spring and feels well... He had gotten himself good and muddy and ran
    > up his heart rate and everything still seemed to be working. He sends his regards to all the usual
    > suspects and said he might drop a post one of these days. I get the feeling he isn't in much of a
    > hurry to... but like I said priorities change... We chatted for a bit and really didn't talk bikes
    > all that much... It got to that moment where there was a pause in the conversation and there
    > really wasn't much else to say... We bid each other well... I gave him my email but I didn't hear
    > it being written down, but come to think of it I didn't really repeat it in that slow way when you
    > give someone your email or phone number. Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to
    > know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog
    > will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    Nice Jimbo, I was wondering as well. Craig Brossman

  4. Ozarkmtbr

    Ozarkmtbr Guest

    I had asked recently in a post about Rog. Glad to hear he is doing good. Thanks for finding out.

    OzarkMtbr

  5. John G

    John G Guest

    jimbo(san) wrote:
    > Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are
    > both okay....

    AMEN!

  6. John G

    John G Guest

    This post reminded me of a picture I took a _long_ time ago:

    http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/blamerog.jpg

    Every time I use that 'Bak I'm reminded of him. You know what....I think tomorrow I'll throw on
    _that_ 'Bak and ride the SS the 12'ish miles to and from work, just for Rog!

  7. jimbo(san) wrote:
    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... snip< Rog
    > will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    good to know, I was wondering what happened to 'im. Glad to hear he's ok!

    Jon Bond

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:50:41 -0400, jimbo(san) wrote:

    > Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are
    > both okay....

    Absolutely! And thanks for the follow-through...

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    Hear, hear. A toast to Rog.

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... <snip
    well done detective work>
    > "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing effort none the
    > less... (Rog)"

    That, coming from a Man who is much more of a mountain biker than the flotsam and jetsam that seems
    to float in and out of here, as well as a few who are too stupid to leave.

    > Thank you Rog

    Yes, thanks Rog and thank you Jim for answering the Big Question.

    JD

  10. "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote

    > That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike

    To Rog.

    CC

  11. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... I have
    > long been wondering what ever happened to Rog... For those of you who may be newer to
    > alt.mountain-bike... Do yourself a favor and go to Deja and look up some of his posts... Classic
    > stuff! Rog always had a self deprecating humor that made his adventure/misadventures a great read.
    > Well I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to know... Today I looked up Rog's phone number up in
    > Winnipeg.... I tried the number and got an answering machine... good news.. I got the right
    > number...Said it was Rog and Linda... the beep went off and I didn't know what to do... What to
    > say... " Hi Rog this is Jimbo(san)... Seen any whip snakes lately???" Nahhhh.. I quickly hung up
    > the phone... I asked Carla and she said I should call back and leave a message... so I did... Rog
    > picked up on the third ring... I tentatively asked him if he remembered a Jimbo(san) from
    > alt-mountain-bike..." uhhhh ummmm Seen any Whip snakes lately??? heh heh heh (feeling very goofy
    > as the words left my mouth) " He laughed and said no he hadn't.... Then he asked me if
    > alt.mountain-bike was still around... I guess major open heart surgery will change your priorities
    > in life and he sort of lost track with all of us. He told me that the last year had been a tuff
    > one... He said he would never wish that surgery on anyone... He is doing better and has since been
    > on the bike a few times this spring and feels well... He had gotten himself good and muddy and ran
    > up his heart rate and everything still seemed to be working. He sends his regards to all the usual
    > suspects and said he might drop a post one of these days. I get the feeling he isn't in much of a
    > hurry to... but like I said priorities change... We chatted for a bit and really didn't talk bikes
    > all that much... It got to that moment where there was a pause in the conversation and there
    > really wasn't much else to say... We bid each other well... I gave him my email but I didn't hear
    > it being written down, but come to think of it I didn't really repeat it in that slow way when you
    > give someone your email or phone number. Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to
    > know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog
    > will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    And thank YOU, Jimbo(san), for making the effort to contact Rog, and taking the time to fill us in.

    I'm so relieved to hear he's alive and (relatively) well. He hinted at facing something major when
    he left AM-B (I thought maybe he was having a heart transplant or something); guess open-heart
    surgery qualifies!

    Sure sounds like he's coming along strongly -- and the fact that he's actually been back on the bike
    a few times is just wonderful news.

    Bill "talk amongst yourselves; I'm all verklempt(san)" S.

  12. Jimbo (san) says:

    >He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog will be fine... With or
    >without alt.mountain-bike

    Thanks for that, Jim - I have been wondering if I could ever get my keyboard tab paid. Now I have
    hope.. ;-)

    Keep the duct-tape on the INSIDE of the shorts.....

    Steve

  13. Martees

    Martees Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... I have
    > long been wondering what ever happened to Rog... For those of you who may be newer to
    > alt.mountain-bike... Do yourself a favor and go to Deja and look up some of his posts... Classic
    > stuff! Rog always had a self deprecating humor that made his adventure/misadventures a great read.
    > Well I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to know... Today I looked up Rog's phone number up in
    > Winnipeg.... I tried the number and got an answering machine... good news.. I got the right
    > number...Said it was Rog and Linda... the beep went off and I didn't know what to do... What to
    > say... " Hi Rog this is Jimbo(san)... Seen any whip snakes lately???" Nahhhh.. I quickly hung up
    > the phone... I asked Carla and she said I should call back and leave a message... so I did... Rog
    > picked up on the third ring... I tentatively asked him if he remembered a Jimbo(san) from
    > alt-mountain-bike..." uhhhh ummmm Seen any Whip snakes lately??? heh heh heh (feeling very goofy
    > as the words left my mouth) " He laughed and said no he hadn't.... Then he asked me if
    > alt.mountain-bike was still around... I guess major open heart surgery will change your priorities
    > in life and he sort of lost track with all of us. He told me that the last year had been a tuff
    > one... He said he would never wish that surgery on anyone... He is doing better and has since been
    > on the bike a few times this spring and feels well... He had gotten himself good and muddy and ran
    > up his heart rate and everything still seemed to be working. He sends his regards to all the usual
    > suspects and said he might drop a post one of these days. I get the feeling he isn't in much of a
    > hurry to... but like I said priorities change... We chatted for a bit and really didn't talk bikes
    > all that much... It got to that moment where there was a pause in the conversation and there
    > really wasn't much else to say... We bid each other well... I gave him my email but I didn't hear
    > it being written down, but come to think of it I didn't really repeat it in that slow way when you
    > give someone your email or phone number. Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to
    > know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog
    > will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    I was going to snip and shorten but it was too good.

    Very cool stuff Jimbo(san).

    Marty

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    jimbo(san) <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... I have
    > long been wondering what ever happened to Rog... For those of you who may be newer to
    > alt.mountain-bike... Do yourself a favor and go to Deja and look up some of his posts... Classic
    > stuff! Rog always had a self deprecating humor that made his adventure/misadventures a great read.
    > Well I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to know... Today I looked up Rog's phone number up in
    > Winnipeg.... I tried the number and got an answering machine... good news.. I got the right
    > number...Said it was Rog and Linda... the beep went off and I didn't know what to do... What to
    > say... " Hi Rog this is Jimbo(san)... Seen any whip snakes lately???" Nahhhh.. I quickly hung up
    > the phone... I asked Carla and she said I should call back and leave a message... so I did... Rog
    > picked up on the third ring... I tentatively asked him if he remembered a Jimbo(san) from
    > alt-mountain-bike..." uhhhh ummmm Seen any Whip snakes lately??? heh heh heh (feeling very goofy
    > as the words left my mouth) " He laughed and said no he hadn't.... Then he asked me if
    > alt.mountain-bike was still around... I guess major open heart surgery will change your priorities
    > in life and he sort of lost track with all of us. He told me that the last year had been a tuff
    > one... He said he would never wish that surgery on anyone... He is doing better and has since been
    > on the bike a few times this spring and feels well... He had gotten himself good and muddy and ran
    > up his heart rate and everything still seemed to be working. He sends his regards to all the usual
    > suspects and said he might drop a post one of these days. I get the feeling he isn't in much of a
    > hurry to... but like I said priorities change... We chatted for a bit and really didn't talk bikes
    > all that much... It got to that moment where there was a pause in the conversation and there
    > really wasn't much else to say... We bid each other well... I gave him my email but I didn't hear
    > it being written down, but come to think of it I didn't really repeat it in that slow way when you
    > give someone your email or phone number. Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to
    > know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog
    > will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    That is good news - thanks Jimbo. I, like a lot here, have been missing Rog and wondering (with good
    hopes) how he was doing. His RR's were an inspiration. Glad to hear he's back on track.

    Cheers again

    Shaun

  15. jimbo(san) wrote:

    > He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog will be fine... With or
    > without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    Good to hear, good to hear.

    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

  16. Ifjoe

    Ifjoe Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:50:41 -0400, jimbo(san) wrote:

    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog....
    8< 8< 8<

    Thanks for the news Jimbo & Carlita. Good to hear from Rog.

    IFJoe

  17. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tom Walker posted after a long absence (btw good to see you Tom). He asked after Rog.... I have
    > long been wondering what ever happened to Rog... For those of you who may be newer to
    > alt.mountain-bike... Do yourself a favor and go to Deja and look up some of his posts... Classic
    > stuff! Rog always had a self deprecating humor that made his adventure/misadventures a great read.
    > Well I couldn't stand it anymore... I had to know... Today I looked up Rog's phone number up in
    > Winnipeg.... I tried the number and got an answering machine... good news.. I got the right
    > number...Said it was Rog and Linda... the beep went off and I didn't know what to do... What to
    > say... " Hi Rog this is Jimbo(san)... Seen any whip snakes lately???" Nahhhh.. I quickly hung up
    > the phone... I asked Carla and she said I should call back and leave a message... so I did... Rog
    > picked up on the third ring... I tentatively asked him if he remembered a Jimbo(san) from
    > alt-mountain-bike..." uhhhh ummmm Seen any Whip snakes lately??? heh heh heh (feeling very goofy
    > as the words left my mouth) " He laughed and said no he hadn't.... Then he asked me if
    > alt.mountain-bike was still around... I guess major open heart surgery will change your priorities
    > in life and he sort of lost track with all of us. He told me that the last year had been a tuff
    > one... He said he would never wish that surgery on anyone... He is doing better and has since been
    > on the bike a few times this spring and feels well... He had gotten himself good and muddy and ran
    > up his heart rate and everything still seemed to be working. He sends his regards to all the usual
    > suspects and said he might drop a post one of these days. I get the feeling he isn't in much of a
    > hurry to... but like I said priorities change... We chatted for a bit and really didn't talk bikes
    > all that much... It got to that moment where there was a pause in the conversation and there
    > really wasn't much else to say... We bid each other well... I gave him my email but I didn't hear
    > it being written down, but come to think of it I didn't really repeat it in that slow way when you
    > give someone your email or phone number. Even if he were to never post again I am just happy to
    > know that Rog is okay... He and Linda are both okay.... That nagging feeling is finally gone. Rog
    > will be fine... With or without alt.mountain-bike
    >

    > Jimbo(san) "Agonizingly trying to become a better mountain biker, but enjoying the continuing
    > effort none the less... (Rog)" Thank you Rog

    Thanks for getting hold of him. My emails had been returned, and I hoped somebody could find him.
    Glad he's recovering well. I had feared the worst. He's a great guy that proves the sport isn't just
    for skinny whip-snake type riders!

    Paladin Here's to you, Rog, if you're reading this. Go eat an 8' sandwich!