Rohloff 14 gear speedhub

Per Dan:
>Anyone have any experience with these
>http://www.rohloff.de/index.php?p=PRODUKTE/SPEEDHUB

Here's a review I wrote shortly after purchasing my first one.
It's all still valid for me after three years except for the noise and the part
about dropping the front chain.

The noise no longer bothers me.... maybe the thing got worn in, maybe I've just
adapted.

The front chain issue was resolved by tightening up the tension (i.e. removing
another link from the chain).

If your bike has disk brake mounts and you're using v brakes, you don't need
either the SpeedBone or the hose clamp kludge. The hub's bracket will interface
directly with a bolt through one of the disk mounts. OTOH, if you have disc
brakes, I'd say the extra money for the SpeedBone is a no-brainer
aesthetics-wise.

Pros:

- Wide shifts:
Probably a substitute for proper technique, but I can clean inclines that I
couldn't before. Hammer in to it in, say, gear 8, then jump down to 4, then to 1
as needed.

Also, on long climbs I like to alternate in and out of the saddle which, for me,
is a 3 or 4 gear shift on each change. With the der I used to do it a lot less
frequently that I really like and in the spirit of "Gee, I sure hope I don't
miss this shift and take the saddle horn up my butt (again...)".

Now I just snap those wide shifts without even thinking about it. Any time, any
place.- I'm always in the right gear, since shifting is essentially trivial;
seems like shifts take less than a fiftieth of a second.

- No more rear cog problems: no taco'd cogs, no more vines/small branches/grass
wrapped around the cog/der.

- It *seems* pretty-much bombproof. Time will tell, but I was spending more time
than I cared to adjusting my der and bending a cog wheel while riding was a
PITA.

- Greatly-reduced frequency of missed shifts. "Reduced" and not "Zero" because
there is a 'gotcha' between 7 and 8 dumps you into gear 14 if you forget and
shift under load.

It pops back into the intended gear as soon as the load comes off, but it's
nothing you want to make a habit of doing.

- Ability to shift down when stopped. I think I make more than my share of
unplanned stops and I used to have to lift up the rear wheel and rotate the
cranks to get down to a starting gear.

Also, my technique sucks and probably won't get any better and it's nice to be
able approach an object and slow way, way down before negotiating it without
worrying about getting stuck in too high a gear to get over it.

- I don't have to keep mental track of which chain ring I'm on. Sounds trivial,
but I don't have any brain cells to spare.

- Maybe not so much of a strength, but it should be mentioned somewhere that 14
speeds are enough.

My original 44-32-22 der setup took me from 18.5 to 104.

With the Rohloff on a 44 I get 19.9 to 104.9 in nice even, uniform 13.8%
increments. That's only one less gear and, since I never used 104 it's a wash
for me.

With the 38 that I've since gone over to it's 17.2 - 90.6.
I don't get spun out in 90.6 until about 25 mph - and there's no way I can hold
that speed for very long anyhow.

I left the old 32 in the middle position just because it weighs next to nothing
and, on a big bump sometimes the chain drops (you're supposed to have a
front-der-like dingus up there to keep it from doing that ....but I never go
around to getting one) the 32 catches the chain. Also allows shifting down
to a usually-ludicrous 14.something if things get really bad....

Cons:

- It costs an arm and a leg.

If my wife ever finds out I spent close to a grand on a rear wheel, she'll start
to doubt my sanity.

- This hub weighs a *lot*. It added 1.9 pounds to my already-heavy bike - same
rim/tube/tire/spoke gauge.
Anybody who says it only adds a pound must be using a really, *really* heavy
cog/hub/der/shifter setup. I was using SRAM 9.0 with twist shifters.

- The installation instructions could use a re-write. I'm no rocket scientist,
and after studying them long enough I pulled it off - but it could have been a
*lot* easier.

- It's heavy. Are you ready for an 8-pound rear wheel?

- The torque arm mounting that came with it was decidedly un-German (downright
kludgy, I'd say...). Hose clamps!

Also sometime during the first hundred miles the little clevis pin that held it
all together disappeared. Wasn't a catastrophic failure because the normal
riding pressure pushes everything together.... I probably installed the c-ring
keeper wrong or something - but it seems like a weak point. Replaced it with a
marine shackle set in LocTite.

I have since discovered that there is a more elegant torque arm setup that
Rohloff calls the "SpeedBone". Uses the disk brake mount and does not
interfere with using a disk brake.

- It's heavy.

- It's noisy, especially in gears 1-7. Supposedly this mitigates with age, but
it is still an issue with me at 1,000 miles.

- It's definitely less efficient in gears 1-8.

There's a web site somewhere (in German) that supposedly graphs a Rohloff
against one of the Shimano's and claims no loss in most gears and 1-2% in the
lower gears.

I would disagree with that web site's figures.

- Did I mention that it's heavy?

Bottom Line:

This is definitely not for everybody and the torque arm thing bugged me until I
got the more elegant replacement.

Having said that, I find that me and the Rohloff are a good match.

I've quickly gotten so used to getting any gear I want any time I want and never
having to stop and pull brush/branches out of my rear der that I can't imagine
going back.

It also appeals to the exhibitionist in me...

You, on the other hand, might hate the thing.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: it's heavy.

PeteCresswell

The people at St. John's St. Cycles like them very much and sell several
versions of their Thron bikes with speedhubs. They link an article (that
Sheldon also references) "Living with a speedhub,"
<http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff.p
df>. And here are their models:
<http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/models.html>. I'm definitely
intrigued, and if I were in the market for a new bike (have 4, small
apartment, no garage), I'd seriously think about the speedhub.

Drew

--
Drew W. Saunders

dru (at) stanford (dot) eee dee you

In article <[email protected]>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

> Oh yeah, I almost forgot: it's heavy.

I grabbed some numbers at

<http://weightweenies.starbike.com/>

Shimano Deore XT front derailleur 140 g
Shimano Deore XT rear derailleur 250 g
Shimano Deore free hub 420 g
Shimano Deore cassette 265 g
Shimano Deore 22 cog chain wheel 20 g
Shimano Deore 48 cog chain wheel 96 g
Total 1191 g

Rohloff Speedhub 2000 -> 2300 g

--
Michael Press

Dan wrote:
> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
> >

> >>Anyone have any experience with these
> >>http://www.rohloff.de/index.php?p=PRODUKTE/SPEEDHUB

> > At last years interbike dirt demo I rode a bike with one of these hubs. I
> > could feel no difference between it and a good derailleur system. It was a
> > nice ride. I'm sure the main reason these hubs are not more popular is the
> > price, over $900. I know if they were cheaper I would have one on my commuter.
> > ---------------
> > Alex
> >

> Alex-Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it seems like a really good approach,
> though I agree the ~$1000 cost is a bit off-putting.
>
> Dan

The $1000 Rohloff hub cost depends on what you are comparing it to. If
comparing it to an existing, well running derailleur equipped bike,
then the $1000 is compared to $0 and is quite high.

If comparing the $1000 Rohloff hub to the derailleur bike parts
necessary for putting together a brand new bike, its a very different
comparison. The derailleur bike parts the Rohloff hub replaces is 1.
rear hub, 2. cassette, 3. front derailleur, 4. rear derailleur, 5.
shift levers. Not sure how to figure the crankset since the Rohloff
can use a much cheaper and simpler single ring crank that does not need
fancy chainrings since there is no shifting. And the simpler and
cheaper single ring crank may be just as strong as the fancier triple
cranksets found on mountain bikes. Or you can get a used/new old stock
but still nicely forged Dura Ace 8 speed crankset for much less than
$100 yet still have the strength of the expensive mountain cranks. The
Rohloff hub does require separate brake levers instead of combination
brake/shift levers like the Shimano mountain groups have.

Cost of Shimano rear hub, both derailleurs, cassette, shift/brake
levers from Colorado Cyclist, Performance, Nashbar, etc.

XTR $841
XT $434
LX $302

The $1000 Rohloff cost does not compare too badly with the XTR.
Assuming this is the right comparison. Rohloff is a bit higher than
XT. But the cost of the cranksets may make the comparison much closer
since you can get by with a much cheaper crank on the Rohloff and have
equal strength/quality as the XTR or XT crankset.

On 26 Aug 2005 12:51:55 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>The $1000 Rohloff hub cost depends on what you are comparing it to. If
>comparing it to an existing, well running derailleur equipped bike,
>then the $1000 is compared to $0 and is quite high.

The additional cost of Rohloff on a new bike, quoted in the Snel folder,
goes from 800 to 1050 euros depending on what it replaces (Deore to an
LX/XT combo). I don't think XTR is a valid comparison -- XTR is
essentially the 'stupid light' racing mountainbike group, which sacrifices
durability for weight (which the Rohloff very much doesn't). LX or XT is
probably the better comparison, and by XT you're already in it being
almost academic whether or not the other gear is included in the
comparison. $600 or $1000, it's still a shitload of cash.

Jasper

On 25-Aug-2005, Dan <[email protected]> wrote:

> My my my, another self-appointed usenet cop. Have any experience
> posting, bigmouth? Guess not, since you couldn't get your smart-ass
> remarks into one message. I did search & didn't find the general
> commentary on the pros & cons of the hub which I was looking for. Only
> one thread was in the ballpark, dating to 12/04. Is it all right with you
> if I try for more recent experiences? If you feel any post of mine
> doesn't meet your high standards for prior research, just ignore it. In
> the mean time, ********, asshole.
>
> Dan

Yo Dan,

What is your problem? This is just "datakoll" being his normal self, as any
"wreck bike" regular could tell you.

Relax. Chill out man.

Sheesh!

--
Sniper Anon

the discussion-which went on for over a month-boiled to
1. if you have this $$$ then the rohloff will suit you as it does
25,000 other rohloff users
2. there are, that we know off, testimonials for hi milage rohloff
users or long distance tourers-to guam or the maldives from iceland
3. the shimano 7, solid reliable as reported, also lacks hi milage or
round the world or even multiple usa crossings testimonials
4.#1 has a caveat-if you break it at four corners in august... but what
does that matter if you have this disposable income
5. will it break in four corners? well, that's 2-4.
6. the rohloff is reported to have a one gear rumble.
7. the shimano has 8 gears, the rohloff has 78 plus overdrive for a
total of 1167 posibilties like the Space Shuttle.
8. a question arises-what in the expletive deletd do you need 1167
gears for?
10. and the answer is most poeple ride around in one or 5-7 gears
11. is the rholoff rebuildable for the one or 5-7 you wear out? no one
knows for sure.
12. is the shim rebuildable? does it have cartidge bearings (i forgot)
13. if you have the 800 bucks and are going cross country on your THORN
then why not? Bon appetite!
14. will someone steal it?
15. do you then avoid bike rallies?
16. the shim as a commuter-see the shim site-is cost effective at
20,000 miles. will a shim go that far? auto trans go that far. so
lacking the testimonials we will now dissassssssemble a shim and
rohloff and compare. file the gears. are the gears as hard as a shim
cone? what's in there? well, many lbs will go paranoid when the
customer mentions service for an internal hub. so much for that idea.
17. sounds like fun 1167 gears

Dan said:
Anyone have any experience with these
http://www.rohloff.de/index.php?p=PRODUKTE/SPEEDHUB

TIA

Dan

Hi Dan. Dan here.
I installed one in my Cannondale F2000 last winter, and I have no regrets so far. As others have said, it gets better with use. It is a bit noisy in some gears, most noteably 7th, it is a bit heavy(but then again, so am I) and it is a little pricey. But price comparisons to other replacement parts and upgrades do not take into account the expected longevity of the Rohloff. If it lasts as advertized, it should outlast several other such systems, thereby justifying the initial outlay. Check back in a couple of years and I'll let you know on that score.
The advatages and benifits are many, and I love this thing. Eventually, I hope to have them in all my bikes.
Dan Burkhart

Dan Burkhart wrote:
> Dan Wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any experience with these
>>http://www.rohloff.de/index.php?p=PRODUKTE/SPEEDHUB
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Dan

> Hi Dan. Dan here.
> I installed one in my Cannondale F2000 last winter, and I have no
> regrets so far. As others have said, it gets better with use. It is a
> bit noisy in some gears, most noteably 7th, it is a bit heavy(but then
> again, so am I) and it is a little pricey. But price comparisons to
> other replacement parts and upgrades do not take into account the
> expected longevity of the Rohloff. If it lasts as advertized, it should
> outlast several other such systems, thereby justifying the initial
> outlay. Check back in a couple of years and I'll let you know on that
> score.
> The advatages and benifits are many, and I love this thing.
> Eventually, I hope to have them in all my bikes.
> Dan Burkhart

Thanks Dan, after all I've read it does sound like something I'd be
interested in. I agree it would seem to be much less subject to wear,
not to mention the greatly decreased maintenance PITA's. I really can't
imagine anyone outside of a real "pressing the envelope" racer even
noticing the weight difference. I mean, what are we talking about here,
full vs empty colon? ;-)

Dan

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?v=E9rit=E9?= said:
Dan Burkhart wrote:
> Dan Wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any experience with these
>>http://www.rohloff.de/index.php?p=PRODUKTE/SPEEDHUB
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Dan

> Hi Dan. Dan here.
> I installed one in my Cannondale F2000 last winter, and I have no
> regrets so far. As others have said, it gets better with use. It is a
> bit noisy in some gears, most noteably 7th, it is a bit heavy(but then
> again, so am I) and it is a little pricey. But price comparisons to
> other replacement parts and upgrades do not take into account the
> expected longevity of the Rohloff. If it lasts as advertized, it should
> outlast several other such systems, thereby justifying the initial
> outlay. Check back in a couple of years and I'll let you know on that
> score.
> The advatages and benifits are many, and I love this thing.
> Eventually, I hope to have them in all my bikes.
> Dan Burkhart

Thanks Dan, after all I've read it does sound like something I'd be
interested in. I agree it would seem to be much less subject to wear,
not to mention the greatly decreased maintenance PITA's. I really can't
imagine anyone outside of a real "pressing the envelope" racer even
noticing the weight difference. I mean, what are we talking about here,
full vs empty colon? ;-)

Dan

A couple of things to consider if you are going to retro-fit a Rohloff into your current ride. First, check that your drop-out spacing is 135mm, or if not, that it can be re spaced to that size. Secondly, before ordering the hub, determine if your bike is better suited to the internal or external shifter mech. If you have disc brakes, your only choice is external, but for some frames, the internal mech makes for better cable routing options.
On the subject of cable routing, I found that hydraulic hose guides were the best solution for my particular build. My bike had the cable guides for both derailleurs on the down tube, so I simply used adjustable hose guides to hold the cables in place at the top of the tube, and stick on guides at the bottom end. Works good and looks good.
You did not mention if you were planning to do the build yourself, but if you do go ahead with it, and plan to do it yourself, feel free to e-mail me with any questions. I can't promise difinitive answers, but I can tell you what works for me. I can also e-mail pictures if you like.
dan at boomerbicycle dot ca

> Hi Dan. Dan here.
> I installed one in my Cannondale F2000 last winter, and I have no
> regrets so far.

does the stock cannondale have horizontal droputs? or did you modify?
or is there a tensioner?
if horizontal-is there a potential safety hazard compared to a vertical
dropout?

> Hi Dan. Dan here.
> I installed one in my Cannondale F2000 last winter, and I have no
> regrets so far.

does the stock cannondale have horizontal droputs? or did you modify?
or is there a tensioner?
if horizontal-is there a potential safety hazard compared to a vertical
dropout?

Nope. It has vertical dropouts. I used the Rohloff chain tensioner, and it works fine. When I first built it, I installed a front chain guide over the chain ring, but have since removed it with no detrimental effect. I do ride it off road, over the rocks and roots and such, and the chain has never derailed.
Rohloff makes a threaded spindle version for horizontal dropouts.
Dan

what does rohloff put into their tensioner? built like a shimano 8
speed?
when going uphill, and needing 3 gears lower for the next turn and
grade-
can that gear be "selected"? or is it a probability choice?
or low to high for cresting a hill...?

what's the tensioner use for: a bearings b. pulley material?
the gears work 3 low to 3 hi? or 3 low to whatever hi?
i read the harris explanation and it's impressive-but the ad copy?
explanation of the unit coming out of its shell throws me off.
are the outside axle bearings cartridge?
what is the solid axle made of-something comparable to the incompre
wheels mfg axles?

i was recently impressed by shimano's patent for the upper sliding
pulley wheel-that following a read of sunset for suntour where R/D was
1-2 people, shimano 30-40? thought was maybe "german engineering"
produced the wipperman alternative at the tensioner.
i saw the harris cyclery blowup but is that a cartridge bearing?

Per [email protected]:
>what does rohloff put into their tensioner? built like a shimano 8
>speed?

It's stubbier than a der cage, uses a replaceable coil spring.

>when going uphill, and needing 3 gears lower for the next turn and
>grade-
>can that gear be "selected"? or is it a probability choice?
>or low to high for cresting a hill...?

Any gear any time. Seems to take about a fiftieth of a second... You need to
back off on the pedal pressure for that instant. I routinely scroll up/down 4
gears when climbing - just to give my butt a break by getting out of the saddle.

Low=>High, High==>Low... no diff. I find the High==>Low part especially
convenient when I chicken out confronting an 18" high log or something...
--
PeteCresswell

Per [email protected]:
>what's the tensioner use for: a bearings b. pulley material?
>the gears work 3 low to 3 hi? or 3 low to whatever hi?
>i read the harris explanation and it's impressive-but the ad copy?
>explanation of the unit coming out of its shell throws me off.
>are the outside axle bearings cartridge?

Haven't got a clue, but Rohloff's implementation isn't required. I used
another brand (Paul's Melvyn) for awhile after the Rohloff's spring broke.

Went back to Rohloff when the replacement spring arrived bc it just looks more
robust and is a little shorter.

Surly's Singulator looks tb the most elegant, but I've heard too many negative
reports on durability.
--
PeteCresswell