Rohloff Hub, Cool Weather: Acting A Little Weird?

(PeteCresswell)

Guest
This bike's been hanging in the garage waiting for some decent weather for about
3 weeks.

Took it out today w/temp in the low forties and the Rohloff hub started acting a
little weird.

Sometimes it will catch another gear when shifting (not the 7-8 thing... I've
caught it doing that between 2 and 3 and a couple of the higher gears above 10.

Also, it makes the occasional grinding sound between shifts.

Worked fine three weeks ago.

I'm saying it's a combination of the lubricating oil used and the temp.

Anybody been here?
--
PeteCresswell

I think Rohloff has a lighter weight oil to use in cold weather.

cel

news:[email protected]...

Per <[email protected]>:
>I think Rohloff has a lighter weight oil to use in cold weather.

They used to sell two weights. Now they've gone over to a single "all weather"
weight.

My suspicion is that the "all weather" weight is the cause - but I'd feel better
about it if somebody else had the same experience. OTOH, once the temps get
back over fifty maybe I'll have an answer too - but that's gonna be a few months
and I wouldn't want to hear Rohloff say "Well, Pete, if you had only sent this
thing in when the problem started, we could have saved it...".
--
PeteCresswell

I read about the all purpose oil but was not aware that they took the other
two oils off the market. I have a Rohloff to but the temp rarely goes low
around here, SF bay area. However it has been in as low as 37f in the
mornings. But I haven't tried that bike when it was that cold.

cel

PeteCresswell wrote:

> My suspicion is that the "all weather" weight is the cause - but I'd feel better
> about it if somebody else had the same experience. OTOH, once the temps get
> back over fifty maybe I'll have an answer too - but that's gonna be a few months
> and I wouldn't want to hear Rohloff say "Well, Pete, if you had only sent this
> thing in when the problem started, we could have saved it...".

Not that there's anything wrong with asking here in r.b.t,
but have you also tried asking Rohloff about this?
Rohloff USA and Rohloff Germany have been helpful
when I've written to them with questions.

Tom Ace