Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Rohloff Internal Hub with Disc Brake

Started by Hkek · · Last activity · 4 posts · 855 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 May 2004
Last activity
27 May 2004
Original author
Hkek
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
855
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Are these hubs very heavy, i.e., what would be the net
    impact on overall bicycle weight if one were to build up
    a bike using the Rohloff internal gear hub with disc
    brake versus a traditional (high end) derailleur system
    with disc brake? Surely someone has done this analysis
    (Sheldon Brown?).

    Thanks!

  2. HKEK said:

    Are these hubs very heavy, i.e., what would be the net
    impact on overall bicycle weight if one were to build up a
    bike using the Rohloff internal gear hub with disc brake
    versus a traditional (high end) derailleur system with
    disc brake? Surely someone has done this analysis (Sheldon
    Brown?).

    Rohloff had published a document "14_Gaenge-in-einem-
    Dreh.pdf" with (among other things) a detailed weight
    comparison, but I couldn't find it on their site when I
    looked today. The comparison took into account all the
    differences between a derailleur setup and a Speedhub setup
    (including the little stuff, like shorter chain and spokes
    with the Speedhub). The weight difference they reported was
    200-450 grams depending on the component group you're
    comparing the Speedhub to. Their disk brake example showed
    2072g for the Rohloff parts and 1630g for the parts present
    on a derailleur bike.

    If you want a copy of that PDF file, email me.

    Weights and other specs of various Speedhub models can be
    found (available in English or German language) on Rohloff's
    site at rohloff.deindex.php
    nische%20Daten (the weights listed are just the hub; the
    twist grip is 110g).

    I have a Rohloff Speedhub and I am happy with it. The extra
    weight is less than that of a full water bottle.

    Tom Ace [email hidden]

  3. HKEK said:


    Are these hubs very heavy, i.e., what would be the net
    impact on overall bicycle weight if one were to build up a
    bike using the Rohloff internal gear hub with disc brake
    versus a traditional (high end) derailleur system with
    disc brake? Surely someone has done this analysis (Sheldon
    Brown?).

    Thanks!

    I added 2.2 pounds when I installed mine. I weighed the
    complete bike before and after the conversion.

    -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
    newsfeeds.comnewsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
    World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different
    Servers! =-----

  4. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    I added 2.2 pounds when I installed mine. I weighed the
    complete bike before and after the conversion.

    Same methodolgy here.

    Came up with almost exactly 2 pounds... It replaced a SRAM
    9.0 system.
    --
    PeteCresswell

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.