Rohloff OEM in two inch long cast track drops? .... I hate the torque arm.

quickbeam420

Nov 2, 2007
I have been thinking about switching the axel plate on my rohloff to the OEM version. I have super beefy track drops (8mm) on my bike, and they are over two inches long so they are longer than the regular OEM dropout. Has anyone out there atempted fitting the OEM hub to a bike with long track drops? Can the oem axel plate be rotated horizontally to slide into the track drops? This would make wheel removal a heck of a lot easier, and it would remove the only aesthetically unapealing part on my otherwise very nice ride. Rohloff owners/users please give me your opinions. I already know I am a vain lazy ahole, so please don't bother asking or harassing me about why I no longer want to live with this stupid torque arm. My bike deserves more, but she would be very ****** at me if I cracked one of her dropouts.

quickbeam420 said:
I have been thinking about switching the axel plate on my rohloff to the OEM version. I have super beefy track drops (8mm) on my bike, and they are over two inches long so they are longer than the regular OEM dropout. Has anyone out there atempted fitting the OEM hub to a bike with long track drops? Can the oem axel plate be rotated horizontally to slide into the track drops? This would make wheel removal a heck of a lot easier, and it would remove the only aesthetically unapealing part on my otherwise very nice ride. Rohloff owners/users please give me your opinions. I already know I am a vain lazy ahole, so please don't bother asking or harassing me about why I no longer want to live with this stupid torque arm. My bike deserves more, but she would be very ****** at me if I cracked one of her dropouts.
The axle plate can be rotated to any position you require.
You only need to rotate it to put the shifting mech in a convenient position. Other than that, as long as your dropouts are thick and sturdy enough to withstand the torque, and long enough to engage the tab on the OEM plate, I don't see a problem.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

Dan Burkhart said:
The axle plate can be rotated to any position you require.
You only need to rotate it to put the shifting mech in a convenient position. Other than that, as long as your dropouts are thick and sturdy enough to withstand the torque, and long enough to engage the tab on the OEM plate, I don't see a problem.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

Thanks Dan,

Thats what I had been thinking, and my excellent mechanic/frame builder seems to agree. I need to order the axel plate and a new shifter (mine is well worn). Could I place that order through your shop? I am located in toronto, but my shop does not sell bikes, special components, or other retail stuff.

Alex

quickbeam420 said:
Thanks Dan,

Thats what I had been thinking, and my excellent mechanic/frame builder seems to agree. I need to order the axel plate and a new shifter (mine is well worn). Could I place that order through your shop? I am located in toronto, but my shop does not sell bikes, special components, or other retail stuff.

Alex
Sure, I can get it for you. Just go to my web site for contact info.
www.boomerbicycle.ca