Rohloff Speedhub - external versus internal cable box

James Thomson

Guest
What's the advantage of using the EX external cable box with the Rohloff hub? The EX box doesn't
seem well sealed and, sitting outside the frame, would seem more vulnerable to damage than the
internal version.

Thanks,

James Thomson

If you have the disk brake version of the hub you need the external cable box. Also if you're using
it on a bike that doesn't have a cantilever post on which to terminate the cable housing.

Nick

James Thomson wrote:
> What's the advantage of using the EX external cable box with the Rohloff hub? The EX box doesn't
> seem well sealed and, sitting outside the frame, would seem more vulnerable to damage than the
> internal version.

>What's the advantage of using the EX external cable box with the Rohloff hub?..

James - We must like the same type of stuff...

1) If you want to use a disk brake, Rohloff says you must use the EX box to avoid interference between the cables for the internal shifting arrangement and the brake disk/mount.

2) It can be easier to route shifter cables to an EX box in some cases, as the housings can routed around "obstacles". To use an internal shifting arrangement, you have to mount a cable stop/adjuster >240mm from the rear axle, and have an unobstructed straing line from that point to where the the short "stub" housings come out of the hub.

3) The "standard" internal shift mechanism uses a short cable wrapped around an internal drum on the hub, and there have been reports of these breaking in the past. It's probably too early to tell whether the change to a lighter shifting force made in hubs produced since ~October 2003 will reduce that potential problem, but most in the know seem to think it will. Rohloff can modify an older hub to the new light shifting action, but you supposedly have to return the hub to the factory to have it done and it costs somewhere in the neighborhood of 48 Euros.

4) The EX box adds weight, which gives weight weenies more to ridicule, which seems to make them happy, so you can enhance the lives of others by using one (if you have a Mother Teresa complex).

John

> ...if you're using it on a bike that doesn't have a cantilever post on which to terminate the cable housing...

Nick - Rohloff makes a "straight cable guide with frame clamp" (P/N 8260), so you're not absolutely locked into using the one that perches on top of a cantilever post if the post doesn't exist or isn't on a good "line" with your preferred cable routing. Like the name says, the barrel adjusters go into it "straight" (at 90 degrees), unlike the 13 degree angle on the brake post mounted version. It can also give you some more routing options when trying to set up the required straight cable path for the internal shifter hub.

John

> 3) The "standard" internal shift mechanism uses a short cable wrapped around an internal drum on
> the hub, and there have been reports of these breaking in the past. It's probably too early to
> tell whether
I can confirm that from what i was told from another cyclist. I by myself use the external cable box
and i had the problem with the water inside recently. Rohloff says you should have a look into it
after 3 months or so and put some new grease in it.

Regards Jens

"jmm" <[email protected]> wrote:

> James - We must like the same type of stuff...

Well, what's not to like?

Maybe I should give some context. I'm putting together a mountain/touring bike, and would like to
use a Speedhub. The frame has horizontal dropouts and rim brakes, so the TS 8040 model is
appropriate. My dealer has the 8050 model (with the external cable box) in stock, and is willing to
sell it to me for the price of the 8040, or order me the 8040.

The 8040 may give me marginally cleaner cable routing as the rear rack may prevent the upper
mounting of the EX box, but it's hard to tell. I guess it comes down to the greater risk of
accidental damage to the external box versus the risk of internal cable failure.

James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's the advantage of using the EX external cable box with the Rohloff hub? The EX box doesn't
> seem well sealed and, sitting outside the frame, would seem more vulnerable to damage than the
> internal version.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Thomson

I use the external box on my Rohloff hubs both disk and non disk. An advantage for me is that when
removing or refixing the wheel I just undo a single finger tight knurled nut and lift the box out of
the way complete. Used a disk one with the external box on a long very wet ride around the north sea
last year without any problems. http://www.fastload.net/north/picpages/dream/wremove.html

peter

RE/
>Maybe I should give some context. I'm putting together a mountain/touring bike, and would like to
>use a Speedhub.

>The 8040 may give me marginally cleaner cable routing as the rear rack may prevent the upper
>mounting of the EX box, but it's hard to tell. I guess it comes down to the greater risk of
>accidental damage to the external box versus the risk of internal cable failure.

I've got two Rohloff-based wheels - both box type.

In retrospect, three stretches of the imagination:

- The box mount gives me interchangability....the wheels can be moved between v-brake and disc-
brake bikes

- If something happens to a shift cable, I can always pull off the box and shift to a tolerable
gear manually.

- The box interface seems bigger/cruder and therefore less subject to beakage.

One downside to the box that I've discovered is that if you put too much oil in the hub (easier than
one might think - because topping it up to the stated capacity overfills it due to the amount of oil
already clinging to the gears - the thing will seep oil for a very long time.

--
PeteCresswell