Roland Green on the road?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lewdvig, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    A canuck can hope right?

    With the current state of XC MTB why not switch over. He would do well in the early spring classics.

    Tags:

  2. "Lewdvig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A canuck can hope right?
    >
    > With the current state of XC MTB why not switch over. He would do well in the early spring
    > classics.

    IMO, the current state of XC MTB is equivalent to its long term prospects.

    XC MTB is boring to watch.

    Fun to ride. very fun.

    boring to watch. very boring. After the initial shake-out it's too much like a mass start
    time trial.

  3. Crystal

    Crystal Guest

    Roland started out on the road back in the late '80s and was pegged by most to be the next Steve
    Bauer.... He was a "decent" road racer but didn't pan out as most hoped. He actually didn't seem
    like a very motivated cyclist at the time... also, the fact that the competition in Canada is pretty
    shitty didn't help his exposure.... and you can't earn a living cycling road in Canada anyway... So,
    he switched to MTB.

    Anyway, I raced with him back in the early '90s and I honestly think he should stay in MTB... the
    money and lifestyle is MUCH better

    Antonio P.

  4. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    Thanks for the response. Very cool.

    Canada is producing some awesome racer chix but no dudes.

  5. Lewdvig wrote:
    > Thanks for the response. Very cool.
    >
    > Canada is producing some awesome racer chix but no dudes.

    That's cos all the Canadian dudes became chicks.

  6. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Crystal wrote:
    > Roland started out on the road back in the late '80s and was pegged by most to be the next Steve
    > Bauer.... He was a "decent" road racer but didn't pan out as most hoped. He actually didn't seem
    > like a very motivated cyclist at the time... also, the fact that the competition in Canada is
    > pretty shitty didn't help his exposure.... and you can't earn a living cycling road in Canada
    > anyway...

    Man, someone should tell that to Darko Ficko. It's about time that guy stopped living the 0k dream
    and got a real job.

  7. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Lewdvig wrote:
    > Thanks for the response. Very cool.
    >
    > Canada is producing some awesome racer chix but no dudes.

    Gord Fraser? Charles Dionne? Eric Wholberg? I know they're not euro caliber, but they're no
    slouches either.

  8. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Lewdvig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the response. Very cool.
    >
    > Canada is producing some awesome racer chix but no dudes.
    >

    > "Crystal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Roland started out on the road back in the late '80s and was pegged by
    > most
    > > to be the next Steve Bauer.... He was a "decent" road racer but didn't
    pan
    > > out as most hoped. He actually didn't seem like a very motivated cyclist
    > at
    > > the time... also, the fact that the competition in Canada is pretty
    shitty
    > > didn't help his exposure.... and you can't earn a living cycling road in Canada anyway... So, he
    > > switched to MTB.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I raced with him back in the early '90s and I honestly think he should stay in MTB...
    > > the money and lifestyle is MUCH better
    > >
    > > Antonio P.

    I doubt the money is better on the MTB side.

  9. Amit

    Amit Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Lewdvig wrote:
    > > Thanks for the response. Very cool.
    > >
    > > Canada is producing some awesome racer chix but no dudes.
    > >
    > Gord Fraser? Charles Dionne? Eric Wholberg? I know they're not euro caliber, but they're no
    > slouches either.

    A world cup or a good placing in a major stage race or stage in a grand tour ?

    The Canadian most likely to win (or have a good result in) something big and European is probably
    Ryder Hesjedal.

    This may change if Green decides to concentrate more on the road.

    -Amit