Rolf Prima Vigor SL, Mavic Cosmic Elite...or?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rc wheels, Jul 26, 2010.

1. rc wheels

rc wheels New Member

I have a 2110 Cannondale Super Six (non Hi-Mod frame) with Sram Red and Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels. I’m 57, and weigh about 155 lbs and I don’t race…just like to ride fast.

Twice per week I ride a club fast pace 24 mile ride. I also ride about 34 miles with a lot of climbing, descending and cornering about 4 times per week. I don’t race but want a good pair of all around aerodynamic wheels for the above and I’m willing to pay around $1,000.00.

I’ve heard good things regarding the Rolf Prima Vigor SL alloy wheels, the Mavic’s Cosmic Elite and their Cosmic Carbone SL PowerTap.

I know there are all kinds of wheels out there and would like some feedback on the wheels above as well as any other major name that would benefit me riding on what I explained above. I would like to keep it around $1000.00.

I’m leaning towards the Rolf’s as a couple of shops said they’ve had good luck with them.

Thank for any input!
    Mike

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the ROLF has better hubs, so (amongst the wheels you mentioned), I would choose the Rolf, too ...

I don't know how good any of the wheels are with regard to descending.

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Find a good local wheelbuilder that can design and build a set specifically for you and your needs..like DA or DT hubs, Velocity, DT or Ambrosio rims, DT spokes and a good build. Light, responsive, reliable with off the shelf stuff and less than $1000. Much better hubs, no propriatary things like rims...

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What he said.

5. rc wheels

rc wheels New Member

Thanks for the info!
    Mike

6. MC1976

MC1976 New Member

Mike,

I just came across this thread and wanted to see if you went with the Rolf's. I'm about to get the Vigor SL's and was hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks,

Marco

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

To some the Rolfs look cool, but otherwise they offer zero performance advantage over any other similarly built/priced wheel. For the money, you can get a better set custom built will be at least as durable, will be built just for you, and may even be lighter. Rolf brings nothing of real advantage to the table.