Rolf Prima Vigor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased the Rolf Prima Vigor Wheelset. I have about 350km on them now so I can't comment on their long-term durability. However, my observations so far are that they are:

- Stiff, but not too harsh.
- Lightweight, or about as lightweight as you can expect in a clincher wheel that is still pretty stiff.
- Reasonably aerodynamic
- Reasonably strong, so far anyway. I hit one pothole so far, at ~35kph and didn't do any damage.

To qualify my comments, I am ~84kg (~185lbs.) I have been using Conti GP3000 23mm tires inflated to 8 bar (~115psi).

So far I would call them a good compromise of stiffness, weight, and aerodynamics.

robc-<< However, my observations so far are that they are:

- Stiff, but not too harsh.
- Lightweight, or about as lightweight as you can expect in a clincher wheel that is still
pretty stiff.
- Reasonably aerodynamic
- Reasonably strong, so far anyway. I hit one pothole so far, at ~35kph and didn't do any damage.

To qualify my comments, I am ~84kg (~185lbs.) I have been using Conti GP3000 23mm tires inflated to
8 bar (~115psi).

So far I would call them a good compromise of stiffness, weight, and aerodynamics.

How much did they cost, particularly when compared to a wheelset designed and made by your local
wheelbuilding 'guru'??

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Seen them everywhere online for $850. I assume that is MSRP.

I paid $799 at Lombardi Sports while in San Francisco recently.

I was considering Having some wheels built up around either Hugi or Tune hubs, but I just couldn't find a somewhat aero clincher rim that was under ~500g. If American Classic would sell their 420 rims independently I probably would have gone that route.

At the end of the day, the Vigors were just one option I was considering. The fact that the Vigors, myself, and my credit card happened to all meet up at the same place and time was what tilted the decision in their favor.

My Vector Pro's would make spoke noise if they were not lubed where they intersect on the rear. Do these do that?

Does the braking surface seem pretty hard, in that it will not wear grooves from road debris?

Have they stayed true so far?

I do have a little bit of spoke noice in the rear when pushing hard out of the saddle. I will have the to try the lube trick.

Regarding the braking surface, it is machined and seems harder than what I remember on the original Vector Pro. The one thing that is obvious is that the braking surface seems thinner than that of other, heavier, wheels. I guess they had to shave the weight somewhere.

BTW, I now have 600km on the Vigors without any real problems.

Originally posted by duaneMTB
My Vector Pro's would make spoke noise if they were not lubed where they intersect on the rear. Do these do that?

Does the braking surface seem pretty hard, in that it will not wear grooves from road debris?

Have they stayed true so far?

Thanks for the feeback Rob. Would appreciate any more feedback you have to offer as you get more miles on them. Either here or my email is [email protected].
Thanks for taking the time to let us know. Those wheels look very nice!
Duane

Originally posted by robc
I do have a little bit of spoke noice in the rear when pushing hard out of the saddle. I will have the to try the lube trick.

Regarding the braking surface, it is machined and seems harder than what I remember on the original Vector Pro. The one thing that is obvious is that the braking surface seems thinner than that of other, heavier, wheels. I guess they had to shave the weight somewhere.

BTW, I now have 600km on the Vigors without any real problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.