Rolf Prima wheels

Gary

Guest
Does anybody have any experience with the relatively new Rolf Prima wheels Elan Aero and Vigor? On
paper they look pretty nice but, since they are very expensive, I'm wondering how good they really
are and how well they might hold up (even on some dirt). I will use them mostly to race on and for
some minor training.

Any info would be appreciated.

Want to upgrade your wheels? For $94 you can get mavic cxp 21 rims laced to a shimano 2200 hub with
32 14 gauge spokes three croos front and rear, at nashbar. Get them, tighten and stress relieve
spokes and ride. They'll put to shame any other wheel that you can get.

Andres

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<tkjWb.5342$hR.159253@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Does anybody have any experience with the relatively new Rolf Prima wheels Elan Aero and Vigor? On
> paper they look pretty nice but, since they are very expensive, I'm wondering how good they really
> are and how well they might hold up (even on some dirt). I will use them mostly to race on and for
> some minor training.
>
> Any info would be appreciated.

Ummm.. "put any other wheel to shame?"

Well, except you'll rust out the cassette bearing if you ride them in the rain, and with straight 14
gauge spokes they're pretty f'ing heavy.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that hand built spoked wheels can be nicer than chi-chi boutique
wheels, but pick something nicer than a $94 pair of machine built wheels.

On 2004-02-11 09:33:58 -0800, [email protected] (andres muro) said:

> Want to upgrade your wheels? For $94 you can get mavic cxp 21 rims laced to a shimano 2200 hub
> with 32 14 gauge spokes three croos front and rear, at nashbar. Get them, tighten and stress
> relieve spokes and ride. They'll put to shame any other wheel that you can get.
>
> Andres
>

> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Does anybody have any experience with the relatively new Rolf Prima
wheels
> > Elan Aero and Vigor? On paper they look pretty nice but, since they are
very
> > expensive, I'm wondering how good they really are and how well they
might
> > hold up (even on some dirt). I will use them mostly to race on and for
some
> > minor training.
> > > Any info would be appreciated.

Hey, I am a cheapskate

Bill Lloyd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ummm.. "put any other wheel to shame?"
>
> Well, except you'll rust out the cassette bearing if you ride them in the rain, and with straight
> 14 gauge spokes they're pretty f'ing heavy.
>
> I'm not disagreeing with the fact that hand built spoked wheels can be nicer than chi-chi boutique
> wheels, but pick something nicer than a $94 pair of machine built wheels.
>
> On 2004-02-11 09:33:58 -0800, [email protected] (andres muro) said:
>
> > Want to upgrade your wheels? For $94 you can get mavic cxp 21 rims laced to a shimano 2200 hub
> > with 32 14 gauge spokes three croos front and rear, at nashbar. Get them, tighten and stress
> > relieve spokes and ride. They'll put to shame any other wheel that you can get.
> >
> > Andres
> >

> > "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Does anybody have any experience with the relatively new Rolf Prima
> wheels
> > > Elan Aero and Vigor? On paper they look pretty nice but, since they are
> very
> > > expensive, I'm wondering how good they really are and how well they
> might
> > > hold up (even on some dirt). I will use them mostly to race on and for
> some
> > > minor training.

Andres-<< Want to upgrade your wheels? For $94 you can get mavic cxp 21 rims laced to a shimano 2200
hub with 32 14 gauge spokes three croos front and rear, at nashbar. Get them, tighten and stress
relieve spokes and ride. They'll put to shame any other wheel that you can get. >><BR><BR>

Good call but also open the hubs, add grease and adjust well ..and they WILL work well for you.

bill-<< Well, except you'll rust out the cassette bearing if you ride them in the rain, and with
straight 14 gauge spokes they're pretty f'ing heavy >><BR><BR>

You bet, those extra 50 or so grams are 'very' noticable...

Trim your nose hair first.....

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Andres-<< Want to upgrade your wheels? For $94 you can get mavic cxp 21 rims laced to a shimano
> 2200 hub with 32 14 gauge spokes three croos front and rear, at nashbar. Get them, tighten and
> stress relieve spokes and ride. They'll put to shame any other wheel that you can get. >><BR><BR>
>
> Good call but also open the hubs, add grease and adjust well ..and they WILL work well for you.

Hey Peter: Sorry I didn't recommend you, but you can't take on nashbar right now. As soon as the
sale is over, I'll go back to pointing people in your direction,

Andres

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Andres-<< Want to upgrade your wheels? For $94 you can get mavic cxp 21 rims laced to a shimano
> 2200 hub with 32 14 gauge spokes three croos front and rear, at nashbar. Get them, tighten and
> stress relieve spokes and ride. They'll put to shame any other wheel that you can get.
> >><BR><BR>
>
> Good call but also open the hubs, add grease and adjust well ..and they WILL work well for you.

Hmmm... A friend of mine just bought a pair of Rolfs (not sure of model; they were $700+) to use
as his "light" wheels, leaving the Bonty Selects that came with his Lemond for training,
commuting, etc.

My Klein Q-carbon came with Bontrager Race Lites. Doubt I'd really need anything "boutiquier" than
they are, but maybe the CXP's (22's by the way; 21's are 36 spoke per Nashbar site) would make good
"heavy wheels" for me?

I'm thinking I could put light tubes and tires on the RaceLites for "major" rides, and use regular-
weight stuff on the Mavics for daily thrashing. Make sense? (At least more than spending $600-800 on
fancy wheels?!?)

Bill "sorta know how to stress relieve, but not how to open/adjust hubs (yet)" S.

Go for it. For the price, they are a good wheelset to experiment with, ie tighten spokes, stress
relieve, adjust hubs, etc. Get them, once you do, check the hubs and see if they spin smoothly. If
they don't post a message and we will walk you through the process. You'll need a cone wrench and an
adjustable wrench.

Also, you can go to the harris cyclery website. I am sure that there are instruction on how
to do this.

Good luck,

andres

news:<[email protected]>...