Rolf, revisited

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Hanker, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Hanker

    Hanker Guest

    From the Rolf web site: "The 34mm tall rim required development of new technology in order to
    manufacture it." Marketing fluff perhaps. Is a new machine 'doing' the rim? What new technology was
    developed and how much do the rims actually weigh?

    Tags:

  2. > "The 34mm tall rim required development of new technology in order to manufacture it." Marketing
    > fluff perhaps. Is a new machine 'doing' the rim? What new technology was developed and how much do
    > the rims actually weigh?

    Building a tall, lightweight rim is not an easy thing, for Rolf or anybody else. The problem is that
    they tend to crinkle (buckle) when rolled, and the deeper the rim, the more likely this becomes.
    Think about what's going on here; the aluminum at the outside of the rim is being stretched while
    the material at the base isn't.

    I don't know about any new technology that Rolf has to deal with this, but it certainly is a
    difficult task.

    news:[email protected]...