Rolf vc wheels and bearings

bryanquinn

Jan 19, 2004
I have a set of Vector Comp wheels and I think the bearings may have gone bad in them, (or maybe it's just my legs) LOL! Does anyone out there know if the bearings in these wheels can be replaced? I was thinking they might be pressed in at the factory and therefore not replaceable.

I saw some bearings for sale on ebay with an abec rating of 5 but I'm not sure of the size or if it can even be done.

I was also wondering if anyone out there could tell me what the rating on the stock bearings were for these wheels. Are they rated like skateboard wheels i.e. abec 3..5..7..?

Any help on this would be great! and thanks in advance.

FWIW. My recollection is that the ROLF VECTOR COMPS had loose bearings + cup & cone, and the more expensive "PRO" (?) wheelset had hubs made by Hugi (now, DT Swiss) ...

So, servicing is simply a matter of replacing & repacking the bearings.

The cartridge bearings on the PRO wheelset can be replaced by any competent LBS ... or, you can contact DT SWISS (in Colorado) & I'm pretty sure they can replace the bearings since the PRO wheelset have Hugi hubs (it used to be $100 ... you pay postage THERE, and the return postage/shipping is included in whatever the fee is).

Have you check the Rolf website or emailed them? They will want to know what year they were as well (brands often change hubs and hence bearings sizes with out renaming the product).

ABEC rating has next to notihng to do with smooth running. If you do a web search on ABEC you'll likely find the first few links are skate sites explaining why ABEC rating has no effect on rolling resistance for skates, and the same goes for bikes.
ABEC rating measures the fit tolerance of the bearings, not the roundness or smoothness of the balls and races. Interesting there isn't a tolerance grading standard for races, as there is a standard for the balls.

If it turns out you needs sealed bearings, you will likely be best served going to your local SKF bearing supplier (SKF being consistantly high standard bearings). Very easy to hide poor quality seals and bearings behind a good ABEC rating.

Thank you for your replys. The bearings are sealed so I'll have to get those.
I forgot that Rolf was back in bussiness so I'll try contacting them also.

Rolf Prima will not service or give you any help with your Rolf Vectors. There is a long story about the relationship between Rolf Dietrich and the Trek Bicycle Corp. A while back, Trek did indeed have the licensing to produce wheels branded with the "Rolf" label on them. Since Dec 2001, howeer, Rolf Prima has become its own entity, separating itself from Trek. You should direct your questions towards Trek, who still service the older "Rolf" wheels. Rolf Prima will not offer you any assistance with service, advice, etc.

Here is a press release that explains it all:

http://www.freewheel.com/rolf/press-release.htm

Here is a service notice on older Rolf wheelsets.....

http://www.rolfwheels.com/products-rolfwheels.php

bryanquinn said:
Thank you for your replys. The bearings are sealed so I'll have to get those.
I forgot that Rolf was back in bussiness so I'll try contacting them also.

alfeng said:
FWIW. My recollection is that the ROLF VECTOR COMPS had loose bearings + cup & cone, and the more expensive "PRO" (?) wheelset had hubs made by Hugi (now, DT Swiss) ...

Am I to assume then that any Rolf wheel that predates 2001 is using a Hugi hub?
I found this site and was wondering if this might be the bearings I would need to buy in order to replace the old ones.
http://www.bikeparts.com/productinfo/Enduro-bearing-kit-DT-Hugi-240-55321-77752.html
My concern is am I getting the right fitting bearings or not. I'm concerned about getting the old bearings out without damaging the hubs. I won't take my bike to a LBS. I have a bad taste in my mouth about these guys. I've been a mechanic in several of them and aside from what I believe is overpricing their customers I have also seen a lot of illiterate bean heads working in several shops.
I'd just rather do the work myself. That is if I can figure out the proper way to do this.

bryanquinn said:
My concern is am I getting the right fitting bearings or not. I'm concerned about getting the old bearings out without damaging the hubs. I won't take my bike to a LBS. I have a bad taste in my mouth about these guys. I've been a mechanic in several of them and aside from what I believe is overpricing their customers I have also seen a lot of illiterate bean heads working in several shops.
I'd just rather do the work myself. That is if I can figure out the proper way to do this.

The right tools for the job aren't expensive.

As for the right bearings, pull the bearings that are in place now and measure them (OD, ID, width). With those three dimensions you can get a bearing number and find what you need. Hell, Phil Wood might have them, which would mean getting excellent bearings at an excellent price.

alienator said:
The right tools for the job aren't expensive.

As for the right bearings, pull the bearings that are in place now and measure them (OD, ID, width). With those three dimensions you can get a bearing number and find what you need. Hell, Phil Wood might have them, which would mean getting excellent bearings at an excellent price.

Check...thanks! :)