Rolf vector pro blew up

In article
<[email protected]>
,
"peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark Hickey wrote:
> > "Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > ><[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...

> > >Did you really intend to sound like a total jerk?

> > I don't detect any "jerkiness" in Jobst's reply above. He's pointing
> > out very basic physical limitations to a design that had problems a
> > century ago, and still has problems today.
> >
> > I wish there were more discussions like that in the bike shops around
> > the country (if only because it would keep Jobst from talking about
> > politics). ;-)

> Unfortunately cyclists seem very reluctant to hear that message. I was
> riding up Mt. Diablo today with someone who recently had a very similar
> failure of his Vector Pro wheel. He was looking for a source for
> either a replacement hub or a new wheel. I suggested going with a more
> traditional wheel design, but he insisted that he had now been
> "spoiled" by the "high-tech" ones and that he didn't think he could go
> back. When asked about the nature of the advantage, he first cited
> weight and I pointed out that similar weights could be achieved with
> reasonable spoke counts (say 32) and good quality components. Then he
> switched to the sealed bearings/low maintenance and I indicated that
> that was also not exclusive to a particular type of wheel. He then
> headed off to talk with someone who would be more sympathetic to his
> plight.
>
> When even those who have already had a bad experience are so willing
> and eager to come back for more of the same, I can see why bike shop
> owners/managers would decide that it's easier to just sell them what
> they ask for rather than try to change their minds.

You cannot change anybody's mind. Difficult enough to
change one's own. Nevertheless, I am sure that what you
said has lodged with him, and probably will eventually
inform his judgment.

Alternatively he could have been bragging: "I ride
wheels so highly engineered and expensive that they
easily catch a cold and die." Nasty you would not
swoon.

--
Michael Press

On 1 Nov 2006 19:46:10 -0800, "peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 1 Nov 2006 18:43:52 -0800, "peter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Vector Pro wheel. He was looking for a source for
>> >either a replacement hub or a new wheel. I suggested going with a more
>> >traditional wheel design, but he insisted that he had now been
>> >"spoiled" by the "high-tech" ones and that he didn't think he could go
>> >back. When asked about the nature of the advantage, he first cited
>> >weight and I pointed out that similar weights could be achieved with
>> >reasonable spoke counts (say 32) and good quality components.

>> What rims and hubs and spokes?

>There's a list of wheel weights at:
>http://www.tc-homes.com/bike/features/wheels/cover.htm
>with several examples of 32 spoke wheels that are lighter than Vector
>Pros.
>I'd also mention that the person I was talking to does not race and
>didn't indicate any concern about aerodynamics.

Weight is concern to lots of people but aerodynamics only to racers?

--
JT
****************************

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 12:38:26 +0000, Bruce Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Just a simple observation here, but I see very
> > few of those old Vector Pros on rides anymore. Where have all the old wheels
> > gone?

> Yeah, I've wondered that myself. There must be an elephant burial ground
> somewhere full of old Rolfs, Spinnergys, and other high-priced wheels that
> suddenly become worthless when the new fad comes out. Meanwhile, _my_ old
> wheels are still working fine.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> __o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
> _`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
> (_)/ (_) |

Remember that propriatary parts, rims and spkkes, that are not
supported by the manufaturer, is also to blame..Campag, shimano,
Spinergy, Mavic, HED, Canecreek,Reynolds, Lew, put name of wheel here.
But with 'standard' hubs and as long as rims and spokes are available,
these 'wheels' will not end up in der trash.

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2006 19:46:10 -0800, "peter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> >> What rims and hubs and spokes?

> >There's a list of wheel weights at:
> >http://www.tc-homes.com/bike/features/wheels/cover.htm
> >with several examples of 32 spoke wheels that are lighter than Vector
> >Pros.
> >I'd also mention that the person I was talking to does not race and
> >didn't indicate any concern about aerodynamics.

> Weight is concern to lots of people but aerodynamics only to racers?

Nope, and that's pretty clearly not what I wrote.

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:24:54 -0800, jim beam <[email protected]>
wrote:

>for the future, while spokes need to have adequate tension to not go
>slack in use, increasing tension above that level serves no purpose.
>static wheel strength does not increase with increasing spoke tension,
>contrary to the supposition of certain individuals. fatigue wheel
>strength /decreases/ with increasing spoke tension. bike shops often,
>unfortunately having read a certain book, are under the false impression
>that spoke tension needs to be "as high as the rim can bear", and they
>"help" the wheel by increasing tension above factory spec. the op may
>be a victim of this unfortunate situation.

In boutique low-spoke wheels, you never klnow for sure if it's the rim
that's the weak point -- in this case, apparently, the hub couldn't bear
tension the rim could.

Jasper

"peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> > On 1 Nov 2006 18:43:52 -0800, "peter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Vector Pro wheel. He was looking for a source for
> > >either a replacement hub or a new wheel. I suggested going with a

more
> > >traditional wheel design, but he insisted that he had now been
> > >"spoiled" by the "high-tech" ones and that he didn't think he could

go
> > >back. When asked about the nature of the advantage, he first cited
> > >weight and I pointed out that similar weights could be achieved

with
> > >reasonable spoke counts (say 32) and good quality components.

> > What rims and hubs and spokes?

> There's a list of wheel weights at:
> http://www.tc-homes.com/bike/features/wheels/cover.htm
> with several examples of 32 spoke wheels that are lighter than Vector
> Pros.
> I'd also mention that the person I was talking to does not race and
> didn't indicate any concern about aerodynamics.

.....but they look WAY COOOOL!

We used to call it the "couze factor" as in not being able to control
one's hormonal drives (bodily secretions in one's jeans).

Chas.

jim beam wrote:

> ...while spokes need to have adequate tension to not go
> slack in use, increasing tension above that level serves no purpose.
> static wheel strength does not increase with increasing spoke tension...

Those two sentences are contradictory.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

dvt wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>> ...while spokes need to have adequate tension to not go slack in use,
>> increasing tension above that level serves no purpose. static wheel
>> strength does not increase with increasing spoke tension...

> Those two sentences are contradictory.

thanks. another time.