Rolf Wheel Question

bobby20

Nov 16, 2003
Can anyone give me some information on Rolf Vector wheels. Are these an older model , If so what year or how old . I do not see anything bout them on the Rolf web sight. Also what is the difference in the Vector and the Vector Pro wheels
Thanks, Bobby

Originally posted by bobby20
Can anyone give me some information on Rolf Vector wheels. Are these an older model , If so what year or how old . I do not see anything bout them on the Rolf web sight. Also what is the difference in the Vector and the Vector Pro wheels
Thanks, Bobby
That was the older stuff. Used for several years. Pros were better.

The Vector Pro wheels date back to the late 90's, and were Rolf's premium wheelset. Current production is the RolfPrima Vigor, essentially the Vector Pro with an upgraded hub. Name was changed to avoid conflicts with the dissolved Trek/Rolf partnership.

The Vector Comp was a less radical design that Rolf conceived when he was partnered with Trek. Spokes weren't paired so closely, spoke count was higher, and no aero rim.

When Rolf and Trek parted company in 2001, Trek kept the Vector Comp design. By the looks of it, that became the Bontrager Racelite, the two wheelsets are very similar.

I've been riding Vector Pro's for a couple of years now. IMHO, they're one of the great bargains in a performance wheelset. Typically, they sell for $300-350 on ebay for a used set, and mine have held up great - have never needed truing. Just as well, these puppies require a trained mechanic for maintenance.

Like most aero wheels with radial spoking, the ride is a bit stiff, but downhill performance is terrific.

I have a set of Vector Comps and Vector Pros. The Pros are the higher end model. They're lighter and smoother spinning, the quality difference is obvious. The Pros also have beautiful Swiss-made Hugi hubs.

Vectors were the entry level wheelset intended for 105 level equipped bikes, Vector Comps for Ultegra level machines and the Vector Pros for high rent Dura-Ace level bikes. As such, the quality and weight of the wheelsets correspond accordingly. This was all during the Rolf/Trek partnership.

I agree with JohnO, Vector Pros are a bargain for a pro-level wheelset. Recommended.

Thanks for the information. I did buy some new Vectors on E-Bay. I hope to be able to use them for a every day wheel as i have also bought a pair of Vigors at my LBS for doing so local time trials
thanks again Bobby

I have ridden Rolf Sestrieres. what a great set of wheels they are! Bullet proof...and very light!

Originally posted by bobby20
Thanks for the information. I did buy some new Vectors on E-Bay. I hope to be able to use them for a every day wheel as i have also bought a pair of Vigors at my LBS for doing so local time trials
thanks again Bobby