Rolf Wheels

Styler

Dec 1, 2003
are rolf wheels still available? i just tried to email via their website, and got an error message in return.

if so, does anyone know any shops who might be able to ship to the UK?

Originally posted by Styler
are rolf wheels still available? i just tried to email via their website, and got an error message in return.

I don't remember if they're still in buisness. I seem to remember hearing something to do with Rolf and Bontrager. I don't know if Bontrager bought them out or what the deal was. I do know that you can find Rolf wheels on Ebay once in awhile.

Originally posted by bryanquinn
I don't remember if they're still in buisness. I seem to remember hearing something to do with Rolf and Bontrager. I don't know if Bontrager bought them out or what the deal was. I do know that you can find Rolf wheels on Ebay once in awhile.

Bontrager bought Rolf in 2001. With in 2 years Rolf realized he didn't like working for someone else so Bontrager kept all of Rolf's current technology (most of Bontrager's wheels are versions of Rolf's original designs) and he went off to design new wheels.

Now there is considerable debate on whether or not his old designs are better or if his new designs are better.

An interesting question. RolfPrima wheels appear on ebay from time to time, but I don't recall any retailer selling the wheels new. I've never actually ridden any, but the current Vigor looks to be almost identical to the Vector Pro wheelset I ride.

Actually, it was Trek that Rolf was in partership with. During the late 90's, Rolf wheels were standard equipment on high end Trek bikes. The deal went sour, I think, over Trek wishing to exert greater control over Rolf's business (anyone remember Icon?). Rolf kept the very close spoke pairing, which he had a patent on prior to the Trek deal, and Trek kept the less radical Vector Comp wheel design which was the only new wheelset to come out of that partnership. That design was sold or given to Bontrager, where it became the basis of Bontrager's current high end wheels.

Rolf freed itself from the Trek contract several years ago, and reinvented itself as Rolf Prima in 2002, or 2001.

All wheelsets made during the Rolf years -- the Vectors, Sestrieres, and so on -- are no longer being made by anyone. Some stores are still selling them new, as old overstock.

Rolf Prima, being a fairly new company, has developed and started selling three wheelsets: the Vigor, Elan, and Carbon. I think they've just unveiled sub-models, actually (like the Vigor RS) -- for heavier riders, and such. There seems to be a total of six models now.

Anyways, same chief designer (Rolf Dietrich), similar look and similar wheel designs -- different company, and techinically, different wheels. The original Rolf company sold some more budget-minded wheelsets. Rolf Prima's current offerings are priced to compete with Ksyrium SLs.

Anyone have any experience with the new Rolf Elan wheelset? I have been looking at a set of 650c for a 100 lb rider. Any thoughts on how they ride, durability, warranty issues, etc.?

I've been riding a set of Rolf Elan Aero wheels for about 5 months. I am a big rider (195-200lbs) and have had no problems at all with them. Used them for 2 big Colorado rides: "Ride the Rockies" and the "Triple Bypass". They are incredibly stiff laterally but compliant vertically (more that my 32 spk Open Pros with Record hubs). I initially had reservations because these wheels are so light and I'm so heavy but they were unvfounded. All I can say is "Awesome Wheelset"! :D

tduffy said:
Anyone have any experience with the new Rolf Elan wheelset? I have been looking at a set of 650c for a 100 lb rider. Any thoughts on how they ride, durability, warranty issues, etc.?

Styler said:

Some of the best wheels out there IMO!;)

tduffy said:
I have. I got my Rolf Elan wheelset together with my Calfee ( Dragonfly ) on May 15, 2004. I rode that bike on the Deathride on July 11. Going downhill the bike started to wobble. Thought the bike was the problem when I came home changed the Rolf Elan wheels with an Mavic Open wheelsets laced with campy hubsets and the bike would go downhill very steady. When I go downhill and the wind is blowing, hang on to the handlebar with my legs pressed against the top tube and with relaxed grip to the bar ends and gentle grip to the rear brake to slow down the bike . If I have to do it again, I am almost positive I'll not buy them. cd