Roll-out?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Doug Huffman, May 31, 2003.

  1. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    ISTR 'roll-out' meant...

    Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at speed through it. Measure from
    the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of intervening blops and convert
    to your cyclometer's system of units.

    Tags:

  2. I think I prefer the accuracy of a marking pen ... but if a blob of oil works for you,
    well, why not?

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
    >
    > Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at
    speed
    > through it. Measure from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of
    > intervening blops and convert to your cyclometer's system of units.

  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Hmmm...accuracy? There is something more accurate about observing a pen's mark than the edge of an
    impression on the pavement? Please review 'errors', ISTR something about 'systematic' and
    'observation' and how to reduce them.

    Assuming your 'error'. It is reduced by 'averaging' the measured distance with the number of blobs.
    You do what you want YMMV due to your cyclometers setting. Faugh! The conspiracy of ignorance
    masquerades as common sense.

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:x32Ca.105034$cO[email protected]...
    > I think I prefer the accuracy of a marking pen ... but if a blob of oil works for you, well,
    > why not?
    >
    > --
    > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
    > >
    > > Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at
    > speed
    > > through it. Measure from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of
    > > intervening blops and convert to your
    cyclometer's
    > > system of units.

  4. I think your method would also work quite well with Ketchup, Doug.

    Have you ever run over one of those little packages that you get with your fries, at a fast
    food place?

    The thing is that if you make a mess, or get it on your leg, you can lick it off and it is SO much
    tastier than plain old salad oil. :)

    Lewis.

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
    >
    > Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at speed through it. Measure
    > from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of intervening blops and
    > convert to your cyclometer's system of units.

  5. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Yep. I agree. I think biodegradable and convenient are the keys.

    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think your method would also work quite well with Ketchup, Doug.
    >
    > Have you ever run over one of those little packages that you get with your fries, at a fast
    > food place?
    >
    > The thing is that if you make a mess, or get it on your leg, you can lick it off and it is SO much
    > tastier than plain old salad oil. :)
    >
    > Lewis.

    > "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
    > >
    > > Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at
    speed
    > > through it. Measure from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of
    > > intervening blops and convert to your
    cyclometer's
    > > system of units.

  6. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    All this talk of ketchup and oil is makin my tummy growl. Think I'll ride to mikey D's for some fries and ask for xtra ketchup...

    :D

  7. David

    David Guest

    Might as well put some lettuce leaves on the pavement and make a salad while your at it ;-) I'm
    wondering if a 406 or 451 tire would be better for this.