Roll-out?

Doug Huffman

Guest
ISTR 'roll-out' meant...

Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at speed through it. Measure from
the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of intervening blops and convert
to your cyclometer's system of units.

I think I prefer the accuracy of a marking pen ... but if a blob of oil works for you,
well, why not?

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
>
> Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at
speed
> through it. Measure from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of
> intervening blops and convert to your cyclometer's system of units.

Hmmm...accuracy? There is something more accurate about observing a pen's mark than the edge of an
impression on the pavement? Please review 'errors', ISTR something about 'systematic' and
'observation' and how to reduce them.

Assuming your 'error'. It is reduced by 'averaging' the measured distance with the number of blobs.
You do what you want YMMV due to your cyclometers setting. Faugh! The conspiracy of ignorance
masquerades as common sense.

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think I prefer the accuracy of a marking pen ... but if a blob of oil works for you, well,
> why not?
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
> >
> > Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at
> speed
> > through it. Measure from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of
> > intervening blops and convert to your
cyclometer's
> > system of units.

I think your method would also work quite well with Ketchup, Doug.

Have you ever run over one of those little packages that you get with your fries, at a fast
food place?

The thing is that if you make a mess, or get it on your leg, you can lick it off and it is SO much
tastier than plain old salad oil. :)

Lewis.

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
>
> Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at speed through it. Measure
> from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of intervening blops and
> convert to your cyclometer's system of units.

Yep. I agree. I think biodegradable and convenient are the keys.

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think your method would also work quite well with Ketchup, Doug.
>
> Have you ever run over one of those little packages that you get with your fries, at a fast
> food place?
>
> The thing is that if you make a mess, or get it on your leg, you can lick it off and it is SO much
> tastier than plain old salad oil. :)
>
> Lewis.

> "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
> >
> > Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at
speed
> > through it. Measure from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of
> > intervening blops and convert to your
cyclometer's
> > system of units.

All this talk of ketchup and oil is makin my tummy growl. Think I'll ride to mikey D's for some fries and ask for xtra ketchup...

Originally posted by Doug Huffman
Yep. I agree. I think biodegradable and convenient are the keys.

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think your method would also work quite well with Ketchup, Doug.
>
> Have you ever run over one of those little packages that you get with your fries, at a fast
> food place?
>
> The thing is that if you make a mess, or get it on your leg, you can lick it off and it is SO much
> tastier than plain old salad oil. :)
>
> Lewis.

> "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > ISTR 'roll-out' meant...
> >
> > Put a blop of e.g. salad-oil on pavement. Run the bike, loaded and at
speed
> > through it. Measure from the first impression to the last visible one. Divide by the number of
> > intervening blops and convert to your
cyclometer's
> > system of units.
:D

Might as well put some lettuce leaves on the pavement and make a salad while your at it ;-) I'm
wondering if a 406 or 451 tire would be better for this.