Roll the Tollway (Illinois)

Chicago Paddling-Fishing aka John Nelson wrote:
> Took the kids for a ride on the the new, yet unfinished bike trail that I
> believe is supposed to link down into the main I&M trail near Channahon.
>
> http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/tmp/newIMtrail.jpg is a partial map from my
> GPS (the GPS apparently was accidentally turned off at the start and only
> when I stoped at one point did I realize it was off).
>
> There is a connection from the Cook County I&M trail near Rt. 83. It's a nice
> ramp and loops you under Rt. 83 and gives you protected bike lane on the
> bridge. Once your across it's a nice paved trail. They are still in the
> process of paving it and if you look on the posted map, somewhere around
> the words "Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve" the trail turns to gravel. Right
> where the yellow line stops is where it became paved again. There was a sign
> there that said Path Closed though so we stopped and turned back. There isn't
> a nice access point off Willow Springs road that we saw. You have to time
> your crossing as it looks like a 45mph road there with curbs. Then you loop
> around like a cloverleaf to get back to the I&M bike trail parking lot...
>
> It's pretty sheltered for much of the ride so it's not a bad winter ride...

"Unprotected" crossings are the bane of Chicagoland MUPs.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:51:16 -0800 (PST), Veloise

> You're mistaken, at least you were. This became a major thoroughfare
> on Monday. As of "Roll the Tollway" it hadn't opened for traffic yet.

let's follow it and figure out where the premiere is and attend in person.

as long as it's a city that's not been destroyed by the mooninites

mk5000

"Of shooting cliff and crumbled stone
With many a wild weed overgrown:
All else, black water: and afloat,
One rood from shore, that single boat."--hayeswater, matthew arnold

In rec.bicycles.soc marika <[email protected]> wrote:

: "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
: news:[email protected]...
: > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:51:16 -0800 (PST), Veloise

: >
: > You're mistaken, at least you were. This became a major thoroughfare
: > on Monday. As of "Roll the Tollway" it hadn't opened for traffic yet.
: >

: let's follow it and figure out where the premiere is and attend in person.

: as long as it's a city that's not been destroyed by the mooninites

Well, as it sits now, it's sort of a dead end highway... I-355 just basically
runs north and south and stops at I-290 and I-80. I make a special trip with
the car to drive it last weekend.

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page