roll your own `bob'

Steven Elliot P

Guest
hi;

briefly, i have no furniture and no car; i want to right the former without changing the latter.
being cheap, stubborn, and a bit loony, i want to

build my own trailer to haul furniture.

i'm talking about a `one-off' trailer for making a few relatively short (<8km) trips, laden with ~80
pounds of bulky chairs and whatnot. the routes are relatively flat, and i am sure i can get a
bicycle escort.

the trailer itself is conceptually completed; i have a bunch of 2x4's, and some industrial wheels
(think outsized shopping cart). what i'm not sure on is

how to attach the trailer to the bike.

i'd been looking into the BOB trailers, and think the idea is pretty slick. i thought i would try to
get a BOB QR skewer, and try to build my own BOB fork by cutting out the rear triangle from a huffy
with a hacksaw. (we need one fewer huffy)

is this too crazy? i've never closely inspected the BOB QR setup, so i'm not sure a regular dropout
would fit in it, or would stay in it. how crucial are the BOB locking pins? does anyone know?
should i just shell out the 50 bucks for the BOB fork? any practical advice? has anyone rolled
their own trailer?

thanks,

--sep

p.s. at some point the project cost could exceed the cost of calling a haulage company. i'm trying
to get it all in for less than 100 bucks, which is the cost of my self-sufficiency and pride.

[[ misery loves country music ]] [[ steven.e.pav p:619.297.1674 www.andrew.cmu.edu/~spav ]] [[
apm5763;mc0112;ucsd;la jolla.ca.92093.0112;858.534.2126;858.534.5273 ]] [[ panted et nap ]]

Originally posted by Steven Elliot P
[...]

apm5763;mc0112;ucsd;la jolla.ca.92093.0112;858.534.2126;858.534.5273 ]] [[ panted et nT

The BOB fork has a special profile to mate with the BOB Skewer.
The pins helps keep the BOB fork on the BOB skewer mating surfaces. I don't have my BOB any more, but I think it's width was about 150 mm.
I don't think that you can do anything close to a BOB fork with a fork from any bicycle. Front forks are 100 mm wide and don't have a profile anywhere near what you would need for this task.
I think you should find another way to transport the furniture.
Can you find someone with a large garden cart that you can strap the chair to?

In article <[email protected]>, Steven Elliot Pav
<[email protected]> wrote:

>hi;
>
>briefly, i have no furniture and no car; i want to right the former without changing the latter.
>being cheap, stubborn, and a bit loony, i want to
>
> build my own trailer to haul furniture.

Cool!

>i'm talking about a `one-off' trailer for making a few relatively short (<8km) trips, laden with
>~80 pounds of bulky chairs and whatnot. the routes are relatively flat, and i am sure i can get a
>bicycle escort.
>
>the trailer itself is conceptually completed; i have a bunch of 2x4's, and some industrial wheels
>(think outsized shopping cart). what i'm not sure on is
>
> how to attach the trailer to the bike.

Yes, that's the hardest part.

>i'd been looking into the BOB trailers, and think the idea is pretty slick. i thought i would try
>to get a BOB QR skewer, and try to build my own BOB fork by cutting out the rear triangle from a
>huffy with a hacksaw. (we need one fewer huffy)

The BOB skewers are sold separately; we got an extra one so either I or my wife could pull
the trailer.

>is this too crazy? i've never closely inspected the BOB QR setup, so i'm not sure a regular dropout
>would fit in it, or would stay in it. how crucial are the BOB locking pins? does anyone know?
>should i just shell out the 50 bucks for the BOB fork? any practical advice? has anyone rolled
>their own trailer?
>
>p.s. at some point the project cost could exceed the cost of calling a haulage company. i'm trying
> to get it all in for less than 100 bucks, which is the cost of my self-sufficiency and pride.

Are you trying to create a single-wheel trailer? The weight distribution could make this a bit
tricky. I've hauled some fairly sizeable things, but only with a two-wheeled trailer that didn't
depend on the bike to keep things upright. Perhaps (you did say "industrial wheels") you're already
thinking in this direction. One example: an old friend of mine has hauled (in pieces) machine tools
over several miles. I've hauled long extension ladders (one end on the trailer, the other end tied
on the bike's rack).

The BOB locking pins, or something to take their place, are absolutely critical. Do _not_ use this
method without them.

Hopefully you can make this work well enough so this is useful for more than one time.

Have fun, but be safe!

-frank
--

"Steven Elliot Pav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> briefly, i have no furniture and no car; i want to right the former without changing the latter.
> being cheap, stubborn, and a bit loony, i want to
>
> build my own trailer to haul furniture.
>
> i'm talking about a `one-off' trailer for making a few relatively short (<8km) trips, laden with
> ~80 pounds of bulky chairs and whatnot. the routes are relatively flat, and i am sure i can get a
> bicycle escort.

Have a look at what these guys have been doing:

http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/

However, don't let your looniness suck you into false economy, if economy is the issue. The money
you spend on one of these projects could easily pay for years of shipping fees, and/or several truck
rentals. Most furniture stores, and even garage sale and flea market vendors, will deliver. Just
ask, and if they say no, ask harder. Ultimately, they'll do whatever's necessary to make a sale, get
the thing out of there, and make room for the rest of the **** they have to sell! Even if they don't
have their own truck, they almost always have someone they can call. Every town is full of young
guys with trucks who could use an extra $20.

Matt O.

Since the BOB idea is allabout one wheel, I would stick with the seatpost or chainstay mounts used
for kid trailers. Pictures-yes. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
410.426.3420 daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Originally posted by Steven Elliot P hi;
>
> briefly, i have no furniture and no car; i want to right the former without changing the latter.
> being cheap, stubborn, and a bit loony, i want to
>
> build my own trailer to haul furniture.
>
> i'm talking about a `one-off' trailer for making a few relatively short (<8km) trips, laden with
> ~80 pounds of bulky chairs and whatnot. the routes are relatively flat, and i am sure i can get a
> bicycle escort.
>
> the trailer itself is conceptually completed; i have a bunch of 2x4's, and some industrial wheels
> (think outsized shopping cart). what i'm not sure on is
>
> how to attach the trailer to the bike.
>
> i'd been looking into the BOB trailers, and think the idea is pretty slick. i thought i would try
> to get a BOB QR skewer, and try to build my own BOB fork by cutting out the rear triangle from a
> huffy with a hacksaw. (we need one fewer huffy)
>
> is this too crazy? i've never closely inspected the BOB QR setup, so i'm not sure a regular
> dropout would fit in it, or would stay in it. how crucial are the BOB locking pins? does anyone
> know? should i just shell out the 50 bucks for the BOB fork? any practical advice? has anyone
> rolled their own trailer?
>
> thanks,
>
> --sep
>
> p.s. at some point the project cost could exceed the cost of calling a haulage company. i'm trying
> to get it all in for less than 100 bucks, which is the cost of my self-sufficiency and pride.
>
> [[ misery loves country music ] [[ steven.e.pav p:619.297.1674 ]www.andrew.cmu.edu/~spav ]] [[
> apm5763;mc0112;ucsd;la jolla.ca.92093.0112;858.534.2126;858.534.5273 ]] [[ panted et nT
>
> The BOB fork has a special profile to mate with the BOB Skewer. The pins helps keep the BOB fork
> on the BOB skewer mating surfaces. I don't have my BOB any more, but I think it's width was about
> 150 mm. I don't think that you can do anything close to a BOB fork with a fork from any bicycle.
> Front forks are 100 mm wide and don't have a profile anywhere near what you would need for this
> task. I think you should find another way to transport the furniture. Can you find someone with a
> large garden cart that you can strap the chair to?
>

> --
> David Ornee, Western Springs, IL USA

How about one of those 2-wheel carts used by gardeners to haul stuff around the yard? They use what
looks like bicycle wheels and have a decent weight limit.

And please post what you come up with. Photos would be nice.

Good luck!

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:40:57 -0400 (EDT), Steven Elliot Pav <[email protected]> wrote:

>hi;
>
>briefly, i have no furniture and no car; i want to right the former without changing the latter.
>being cheap, stubborn, and a bit loony, i want to
>
> build my own trailer to haul furniture.
>
>i'm talking about a `one-off' trailer for making a few relatively short (<8km) trips, laden with
>~80 pounds of bulky chairs and whatnot. the routes are relatively flat, and i am sure i can get a
>bicycle escort.
>
>the trailer itself is conceptually completed; i have a bunch of 2x4's, and some industrial wheels
>(think outsized shopping cart). what i'm not sure on is
>
> how to attach the trailer to the bike.
>
>i'd been looking into the BOB trailers, and think the idea is pretty slick. i thought i would try
>to get a BOB QR skewer, and try to build my own BOB fork by cutting out the rear triangle from a
>huffy with a hacksaw. (we need one fewer huffy)
>
>is this too crazy? i've never closely inspected the BOB QR setup, so i'm not sure a regular dropout
>would fit in it, or would stay in it. how crucial are the BOB locking pins? does anyone know?
>should i just shell out the 50 bucks for the BOB fork? any practical advice? has anyone rolled
>their own trailer?
>
>thanks,
>
>--sep
>
>p.s. at some point the project cost could exceed the cost of calling a haulage company. i'm trying
> to get it all in for less than 100 bucks, which is the cost of my self-sufficiency and pride.
>

>[[ misery loves country music ]] [[ steven.e.pav p:619.297.1674 www.andrew.cmu.edu/~spav ]] [[
>apm5763;mc0112;ucsd;la jolla.ca.92093.0112;858.534.2126;858.534.5273 ]] [[ panted et nap ]]

[email protected] (Gary Young) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Steven Elliot Pav <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > hi;
> >
> > briefly, i have no furniture and no car; i want to right the former without changing the latter.
> > being cheap, stubborn, and a bit loony, i want to
> >
> > build my own trailer to haul furniture.
> >
> > i'm talking about a `one-off' trailer for making a few relatively short (<8km) trips, laden with
> > ~80 pounds of bulky chairs and whatnot. the routes are relatively flat, and i am sure i can get
> > a bicycle escort.
> >
> > the trailer itself is conceptually completed; i have a bunch of 2x4's, and some industrial
> > wheels (think outsized shopping cart). what i'm not sure on is
> >
> > how to attach the trailer to the bike.
> >
> > i'd been looking into the BOB trailers, and think the idea is pretty slick. i thought i would
> > try to get a BOB QR skewer, and try to build my own BOB fork by cutting out the rear triangle
> > from a huffy with a hacksaw. (we need one fewer huffy)
> >
> > is this too crazy? i've never closely inspected the BOB QR setup, so i'm not sure a regular
> > dropout would fit in it, or would stay in it. how crucial are the BOB locking pins? does anyone
> > know? should i just shell out the 50 bucks for the BOB fork? any practical advice? has anyone
> > rolled their own trailer?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > --sep
> >
> > p.s. at some point the project cost could exceed the cost of calling a haulage company. i'm
> > trying to get it all in for less than 100 bucks, which is the cost of my self-sufficiency
> > and pride.
> >

> > [[ misery loves country music ]] [[ steven.e.pav p:619.297.1674 www.andrew.cmu.edu/~spav ]] [[
> > apm5763;mc0112;ucsd;la jolla.ca.92093.0112;858.534.2126;858.534.5273 ]] [[ panted et nap ]]
>

> Well, if you really just plan to use a trailer a few times, I would say your best bet is to see if
> you can borrow or rent a trailer. Maybe a bike shop could help with that, or you could post to a
> local bicycle list.
>
> As for the idea of using a Huffy's rear triangle, I think the problem is that it wouldn't leave
> enough room for you to make turns (the hitch has to accomodate the side-to-side movement of the
> bike's rear wheel). Most DIY trailers I've seen use just one beam for the hitch (with a big bend
> in it), probably for that reason.

Never mind. I wasn't thinking. Is your idea to use the rear triangle and leave a bit of the seat
tube to act as the pivot point?

> You should be able to find plans for bike trailers on the web. I came up with a couple just doing
> a google search on "DIY bicycle trailer."
>
> One method I've seen is to sandwich the seatstay and chainstay on one side of the bike between two
> thin pieces of wood (just run bolts through to hold them in place). Then attach your hitch to the
> outer piece of wood. Some trailers use air hose couplers for a quick release attachment.

In article <[email protected]>, "Jim, N2VX"
<[email protected]> writes:

>How about one of those 2-wheel carts used by gardeners to haul stuff around the yard? They use what
>looks like bicycle wheels and have a decent weight limit.

A local kid uses something like that to haul his lawn mowing equipment around. The hitch attaches to
his seat post, it's a "goose neck" type thing.

Tom Gibb <[email protected]

"Jim, N2VX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> How about one of those 2-wheel carts used by gardeners to haul stuff around the yard? They use
> what looks like bicycle wheels and have a decent weight limit.
>
> And please post what you come up with. Photos would be nice.

I'm actually working with one of those carts for a Field Day outing next year....

It's not done yet, but photos and how-to will be submitted to QST.

-bill, N9VLS/8