Roll your own rollers?

Rick Onanian

Guest
The idea struck me yesterday to build my own rollers, or a trainer. Besides possible cost savings,
it could be a fun project.

Can anybody throw me some links to others who have done this?

--
Rick "Yeah, like I have the time for THAT" Onanian

That's interesting..

Rollers are definately overpriced for what they are. But, accuracy is definately an issue.

The frame would be very easy to make, and if you have access to a machine shop and a lathe (I think
that's the tool you'd use to make the cylinders? I"m not a machine shop person) and some nice
quality bearings..

If you ever get something working, post it!

Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The idea struck me yesterday to build my own rollers, or a trainer. Besides possible cost savings,
> it could be a fun project.
>
> Can anybody throw me some links to others who have done this?
>
> --
> Rick "Yeah, like I have the time for THAT" Onanian

It should be easy, but the rollers need to centered very accurately, and round. So it takes a
reasonable skill at using a lathe, and mounting the bearings.

I have what are essentially hand made rollers - wooden rollers by the brand name of <the big
Yankee>. They are beautiful, with a slight hourglass shape and I store them in the living room with
2 track bikes used to win some national and olympic races (sad to say I wasn't riding them when that
happened).

-Bruce

"Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The idea struck me yesterday to build my own rollers, or a trainer. Besides possible cost savings,
> it could be a fun project.
>
> Can anybody throw me some links to others who have done this?
>
> --
> Rick "Yeah, like I have the time for THAT" Onanian

>It should be easy, but the rollers need to centered very accurately, and round. So it takes a
>reasonable skill at using a lathe, and mounting the bearings.

Pretty easy. Use plastic sewer pipe for the rollers. Phil Brown

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:09:16 -0400, "Mike Beauchamp" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Rollers are definately overpriced for what they are. But, accuracy is definately an issue.

I've never used rollers, or even seen them in person. What about them must be particularly accurate?

>The frame would be very easy to make, and if you have access to a machine shop and a lathe (I think
>that's the tool you'd use to make the cylinders?

I expect I'd use some sort of existing cylinder.

>I"m not a machine shop person) and some nice quality bearings..

Maybe bicycle bearings? How about a bicycle hub welded to the center of each end of the cylinder?

>If you ever get something working, post it!

You bet I would!

>Mike http://mikebeauchamp.com

--
Rick "Quixote" Onanian