Roller / Trainers, How much?

XC Racer

Jun 14, 2003
Hi
I am thinking of buying a cycling trainer/roller, but have no idea how cheap the cheapest ones are, and how dear the dearest ones are :p .
And is there possibly a way to make a makeshift trainer? That is safe?
Thanks

You basically get what you pay for. Good rule for life, and training I supppose too.

I recommend Kreitler rollers. I ride dynolytes, but all of their models are high quality and will last a lifetime. If you figure that the 250.00 you spend will last you twenty years or more, it doesn't seem like that much money. You can also find them used on Ebay occasionally and also in the Roadbikereview.com classifieds (that's where I found mine).

I would stay away from Performance and Minouras. Some guys have had good luck with them, but I know some that have not. I don't know anyone who didn't love their Kreitlers; as much as you can love an instrument of winter torture.

chris
ne iowa

I bought one from Nashbar for $130. It was on sale from $179. It is a fluid trainer with a remote resistance increaser. I've had it for two seasons and has given me no problems. I probably have 1000 miles on it. It is somewhat noisey at certain RPM's but the resistance is always consistant. I was hesitant about getting a trainer but now that I have one I can't imagine not having one. Crappy weather, no problem. Just find something good on TV to watch and peddal away. I do a lot of interval training on mine for the consistency. Don't cheap out, buy a good one. It will be worth every cent.