Rollers - Speed Limit?

cyclingismylife

Apr 4, 2007
Hi!

I picked up a pair of rollers a few days ago - I am completely hooked and after a few (okay a lot) of crashes into the hallway walls the first day I am feeling better and able to stay on consistenly for an hour to get my 'fix' in since it's been raining here on/off for two weeks :-(

The rollers are used (he swore less than 20 uses) and tonight I was doing intervals and keeping it at about 55-60km/hr for 8mins at a time. In my last interval I heard a squeak-pop-grind and suddenly things got stiff.... and very noisy... and I'm pretty sure I blew the bearing in the front roller....

I pulled off the band that connects and front/rear rollers and have spun them individually, they rear two spin pretty well and keep going when I let go, the front..? not so much...

So to my question - did I burn it out by running it fast or is this a typical speed when reaching for that 90% HR.. ? I searched first and couldn't find reference to speeds people train at on these things.

So do I go and hit the guy who sold me these over the head with them? Or try and find a replacement roller? I am addicted now, so I can only last a few days without one :( Anyone?

I'm pretty sure it depends on the quality of the rollers. Mine get pretty crazy at 25 mph but they're used el cheapos. Mine used to have fan resistance until I ignorantly rode them on a carpeted floor...first hard interval and the fans sucked up pieces of carpet and exploded quite spectacularly. At least it was a good show. Made me feel much more powerful than I actually am. They're only used for recovery rides now.

Depending on the brand, you may be able to find a replacement roller (I just ordered one for my wife's old Minoura rollers). Alternatively, you may be able to just replace the failed bearing.

Once you get 'em fixed, you may want to reduce the pressure in your tires when riding them...that will keep your speed down for a given power output.

acoggan said:
Once you get 'em fixed, you may want to reduce the pressure in your tires when riding them...that will keep your speed down for a given power output.
great suggestion! I actually took them back to the guy today and he was a good sport and gave me a refund. Coincidentally my work gave me a gift cert today and I will be heading to my LBS with my refund and certificate to pick up a set of Minoura rollers and if I can find it - the mag unit that goes with them.

animator said:
Mine used to have fan resistance until I ignorantly rode them on a carpeted floor...first hard interval and the fans sucked up pieces of carpet and exploded quite spectacularly.
That sounds like it would have been an awesome show! I am sorry someone didn't capture it on video and post it on youtube! I hope the mag unit doesn't zip off into the atmosphere and take out a satellite or something :D

Even cheap 'normal size' rollers can be ridden quite fast - 80-100 kph+. Perhaps the bearing was damaged or defective.

If you have small diameter or resistance type rollers, then it could be something else as I don't have a lot of experience with them. Rollers themselves do not have to support a lot of pressure (virtually no lateral pressure, and at least 6 sets of bearings to support you and your bike) and I had two sets for about 10+ years each, one so cheap the rollers were oblong and the others being the Kreitlers I still have.

cdr

My Krietlers do fine at 60mph, the only problem I have at those speeds is my ass bouncing all over, making it crazy unstable.

It's so fun to see 0-15-30-40-50-60mph in seconds. :D

velomanct said:
My Krietlers do fine at 60mph, the only problem I have at those speeds is my ass bouncing all over, making it crazy unstable.

Yea, I returned them back to the guy and it must have just been something easy to fix because I see he reposted them at twice the price I paid the first time :eek: but the joke will be on him since his ad was 3 weeks old when I replied and I was his only reply....

Picked up the Minoura Action Advance, aluminum rollers. They are about 10x smoother than the older PVC ones and getting up to 50km/hr is a little more painful. I can't sit in the highest gear and spin for 60km/hr anymore so this is a good thing!

Thanks for your replies! This trainer will add a good 3hrs/week to my training :cool:

cyclingismylife said:
Hi!

I picked up a pair of rollers a few days ago - I am completely hooked and after a few (okay a lot) of crashes into the hallway walls the first day I am feeling better and able to stay on consistenly for an hour to get my 'fix' in since it's been raining here on/off for two weeks :-(

The rollers are used (he swore less than 20 uses) and tonight I was doing intervals and keeping it at about 55-60km/hr for 8mins at a time. In my last interval I heard a squeak-pop-grind and suddenly things got stiff.... and very noisy... and I'm pretty sure I blew the bearing in the front roller....

I pulled off the band that connects and front/rear rollers and have spun them individually, they rear two spin pretty well and keep going when I let go, the front..? not so much...

So to my question - did I burn it out by running it fast or is this a typical speed when reaching for that 90% HR.. ? I searched first and couldn't find reference to speeds people train at on these things.

So do I go and hit the guy who sold me these over the head with them? Or try and find a replacement roller? I am addicted now, so I can only last a few days without one :( Anyone?
dssaaa

velomanct said:

:rolleyes: I think I detect a little exaggeration. 60mph would require turning a 54x11 at 152 rpm; within the realm of possibility, but not too likely. Maybe that computer needs to be recalibrated.

mwestray said:
:rolleyes: I think I detect a little exaggeration. 60mph would require turning a 54x11 at 152 rpm; within the realm of possibility, but not too likely. Maybe that computer needs to be recalibrated.

There is nothing unlikely about 152rpms, or 170rpms which was what I was more likely at since it was a 53x12.

It sounds like you have never ridden rollers before. Do you have any idea what you're talking about? :rolleyes:

velomanct said:
There is nothing unlikely about 152rpms, or 170rpms which was what I was more likely at since it was a 53x12.

It sounds like you have never ridden rollers before. Do you have any idea what you're talking about? :rolleyes:

You got me, stud, I'm a rookie.

Riding normal size rollers is extremely fast. Your only resistence is mechanical, and rolling (tires). Subtract the massive inertia(if accelerating) and wind resistence that would have in a normal real outdoor situation, and there's not much holding your speed down.

The WR is like 150mph I think.