Rollers Training advice

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Simon, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    What are your thoughts on training advice- on rollers?

    I am currently doing 10min warm up, 5 min sprint, 10 min warm down. Anything longer sends my arse
    and nuts to the wall.

    Your thoughts would be appreciated. My aim? MTB race in May, and long (for me- 70 miles of hills)
    charity ride in July.

    Cheers folks.

    --
    Regards

    Simon www.simonpaddon.com

    'People know what to do, but who actually does what they know?'

    Tags:

  2. "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What are your thoughts on training advice- on rollers?
    >
    > I am currently doing 10min warm up, 5 min sprint, 10 min warm down.
    Anything
    > longer sends my arse and nuts to the wall.
    >
    > Your thoughts would be appreciated. My aim? MTB race in May, and long (for me- 70 miles of hills)
    > charity ride in July.
    >
    > Cheers folks.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Simon www.simonpaddon.com

    Ya.

    Buy some warm clothes and train outside.

    or

    Move to a warmer climate.

    Nothing will kill your love for the sport faster than training indoors.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What are your thoughts on training advice- on rollers?
    >
    > I am currently doing 10min warm up, 5 min sprint, 10 min warm down.
    Anything
    > longer sends my arse and nuts to the wall.
    >
    > Your thoughts would be appreciated. My aim? MTB race in May, and long (for me- 70 miles of hills)
    > charity ride in July.

    If you're looking to do a 70-miler, then you need to spend more time on the trainer. 25min at a
    stretch ain't enough! Especially when you're only "working" for 5 min.

    BTW, the harder you ride, the less the pressure on the saddle, so the longer you can ride w/o a
    problem. When I lived in VA, we used to do 3+ hour trainer rides through the winters.

    You can stand up on rollers if you're careful. Shift to the 53x12 and don't rock too much.

    Mike

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > What are your thoughts on training advice- on rollers?
    > >
    > > I am currently doing 10min warm up, 5 min sprint, 10 min warm down.
    > Anything
    > > longer sends my arse and nuts to the wall.
    > >
    > > Your thoughts would be appreciated. My aim? MTB race in May, and long
    (for
    > > me- 70 miles of hills) charity ride in July.
    > >
    > If you're looking to do a 70-miler, then you need to spend more time on
    the
    > trainer. 25min at a stretch ain't enough! Especially when you're only "working" for 5 min.
    >
    > BTW, the harder you ride, the less the pressure on the saddle, so the
    longer
    > you can ride w/o a problem. When I lived in VA, we used to do 3+ hour trainer rides through the
    > winters.
    >
    > You can stand up on rollers if you're careful. Shift to the 53x12 and
    don't
    > rock too much.
    >
    > Mike

    Stand up on rollers? Never heard of that- sounds deadly.

    Will try longer periods, though.

    Any thoughts on interval sessions?

    Simon

  5. Beecharmer

    Beecharmer Guest

    > Any thoughts on interval sessions?

    I get a nice interval workout on rainy/cold days in Iowa with my setup: Kreitler Dynolytes with
    Killer headwind unit. I do a 20min warmup (60-70% LTHR) and then 3 min intervals (80-95% LTHR) with
    a targetted recovery HR in between each. Then a 10 min cooldown spin for an overall workout of 1hr
    or so. What's nice is that the intervals get my ass lighter in the saddle and ease any monotony that
    might develop, but the key is having some kind of resistance unit. The Kreitler Headwind unit is
    great and I can get my rate up just as fast now on the rollers as on the road.

    chris ne iowa

  6. Try putting a couple of playing cards in the rear wheel spokes, I have not tried it personally, but
    its supposed to give a good workout.

    Paul

    "BeeCharmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Any thoughts on interval sessions?
    > >

    > I get a nice interval workout on rainy/cold days in Iowa with my setup: Kreitler Dynolytes with
    > Killer headwind unit. I do a 20min warmup (60-70% LTHR) and then 3 min intervals (80-95% LTHR)
    > with a targetted recovery HR in between each. Then a 10 min cooldown spin for an overall workout
    > of 1hr or so. What's nice is that the intervals get my ass lighter in the saddle and ease any
    > monotony that might develop, but the key is having some kind of resistance unit. The Kreitler
    > Headwind unit is great and I can get my rate up just as fast now on the rollers as on the road.
    >
    > chris ne iowa

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    <snip> for brevity

    > Stand up on rollers? Never heard of that- sounds deadly.

    Sure, and you can ride no handed too. Standing is just like on the road, just do it more carefully.
    Every once in a while standing helps to relieve things...

    > Will try longer periods, though.

    That's a start. It helps to have more than one person riding at the same time. Group suffering
    doesn't seem as bad as riding on your own.

    > Any thoughts on interval sessions?

    I'd start with some longer steady state rides before you get into the intervals. Anaerobic work is
    best done with after building a good base of aerobic fitness.

    > Simon

  8. Lars Ejaas

    Lars Ejaas Guest

    "the key is having some kind of resistance unit"

    This is true - use an old towel - placed under the rear wheel rollers - works fine!