Rollers vs. Trainers - Best Workout?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RobotDeathSquad, Nov 6, 2005.

1. RobotDeathSquad

RobotDeathSquad New Member

Forgive me, I'm sure this has been discussed before.

Which would be better to buy from a workout angle? Are rollers or trainers even, or is one better than the other in terms of training? Are trainers better for their adjustability?

I'm leaning to rollers for their conviencey (easier to conver to road riding on nice days) but I've never used either so I have no idea if one is better than the other.

Also, keep in mind, I'll be buying basically the cheapest I can find of either. So if that makes any difference, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
    RDS

Tags:

2. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

My understanding is that the cheap rollers don't provide any resistance. For this reason, I'd stick with the trainer if you are looking to move some of your training rides indoors. If you were just using it for recovery, then the rollers would probably do the trick, but for workouts, I'd say trainer.

3. phazer

phazer New Member

Rollers teach you to have a smooth pedal stroke and great balance, but don't do alot for cardio or strenght really, where as a trainer does.

4. Flatscan

Flatscan New Member

Previous thread: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t287311-.html

If you only get 1, get the trainer. Its resistance allows more variety in workout intensity. Rollers have low resistance unless you get a supplementary resistance unit, which sounds like it's not an option.

5. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

You can add a resistance unit to any set of rollers. You just can't get out of the saddle too much without redecorating your living room. The best choice depends on what you mean by "workout" If you're looking to improve technique and cardio endurance, you can do it with rollers. If you wan't to improve strength, get a trainer.