Rollers?

RCope47

Sep 19, 2009
Hey all, I just bought a set of vintage Weyless rollers that are in supurb condition, and after about my third try, I am up and running, one question for all you roller boys....WTF? I rode at a moderate pace for 30 minutes and had a pool of sweat on the floor like I have never seen! I have a spinner bike, and a nice Recor recombant, for those crappy days outside, and I have hammered both of those for over an hour, and have not sweat like that! So what is the difference? The rollers are cool, you ride your own bike and really simulates real riding, I just cant understand why this felt like so much more of a workout? :confused::)

Presuming you're comparing apples with apples (same inside temperature conditions and levels of effort with the other training devices), riding on the rollers recruits more muscles. Many muscles are used to stabilize yourself on the bike and maintain equilibrium while on rollers that aren't required when using stationary, locked-in devices.

I know the feeling I made some home made free motion rollers with an inexpensive set of rollers and I can't stop riding them. Drum diameter, type of tire and air pressure decide what the workout will be like. If you can use all your gears and get out of the saddle you can ride a long time on FMRs and get a great workout. To keep sweat under control I wear two mesh shirts and run two fans.
http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/kiwiwire/?action=view&current=FMR10.jpg

Bear in mind that since you are stationary, there is no wind to help evaporate the sweat off you body. Fans will help. Ever notice that after a long ride outside you only start sweating after you stop riding?