Rolling resistance and inlays??

jalabert

Jan 5, 2003
Hi

Hopefully there are some of you that are into physics, so you perhaps can answer the following.
I'm to do a race where I just can't have a flat, so I'm planning on using inlays in my tires. This offcourse increases the weight of the wheel, but how does it effect rolling resistance?
I know that tyre compound, thread and pressure are determening factors.
I have heard that that thin latex innertubes are not only used for the reduced weight, but also since they reduce rolling resistance. If this is the case, then using inlays would equal using a very thick innertube which would then increase RR.

Anyone who can give a logic explanation for this?

Thx

The thicker or harder(rubber compound) the tire the harder to deform it.
No road is really flat, your tire is constantly deforming caused by your weight, road structure.

Using inlays or a thicker tire makes the work harder.
Thats why racing tires are thinner/softer than training tires. But of course there are disadvantages like you have a flat easier(thicker is harder to penetrate).

There are no free gains, you have to way the flat /versus resistance component.

an example
Continental sonderklasse tubular, Superb for track, excellent for good surface TT, useless for training(as you will have many flats). Its a beauth who rolls very smooth but almost no anti leak protection.

Tire with maybe 27TPI carcasses and kevlar inside.
You will have to try very hard to puncture them but because of the low TPI there is lots of rubber in between which makes them roll very badly. So great for training, useless for racing.