rolling stones

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Iruven, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. Iruven

    Iruven Guest

    is there an evolutionairy/biological reason/function that
    humans can stick out their tongue?

    Tags:

  2. R Norman

    R Norman Guest

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:47:36 +0000 (UTC), iruven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >is there an evolutionairy/biological reason/function that
    >humans can stick out their tongue?

    Is there some reason why humans shouldn't do this? I don't
    really know what chimps and gorillas can do, but certainly
    dogs and cats and all sorts of other domesticated and zoo
    animals I recall can do this.

    Isn't licking up or lapping or tasting things just outside
    the mouth part of normal feeding behavior? The fact that
    sometime a human may do so as a sign or signal to another
    human is rather beside the point.

  3. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    iruven <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

    > is there an evolutionairy/biological reason/function that
    > humans can stick out their tongue?

    This ability appears to be useful for moistening the lips.

    There may also be other applications - such as licking
    objects.
    --
    __________
    |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove
    lock to reply.

  4. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    "iruven" <[email protected]> wrote

    > is there an evolutionairy/biological reason/function that
    > humans can stick out their tongue?

    This sort of thing gives "sociobiology" (actually not much
    to do with social behaviour) a bad name. It's easy to invent
    hypotheses, much harder to test them.

    the partner during petting. Second candidate would be in
    order to explore nuts or bits of meat of similar food that
    is held in the hands. Any bitter taste can be detected
    before the food enters the mouth. A third theory is that it
    is a "spandrel" and the real reason is that a long tongue
    with musculature is needed to produce speech. The ability to
    stick one's tongue out is just a size-effect of this. This
    one is actaully testable - can great apes stick out their
    tongues, and are special muscles used to push the tongue out
    or are they the same muscles as used in speech?

  5. iruven <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > is there an evolutionairy/biological reason/function that
    > humans can stick out their tongue?

    So adaptationists can lick their lips over the opportunity
    to propose the explanation that sticking out the tongue is
    to lick the lips :)

    More seriously, the suggestion given on another follow to
    check out the use of the tongue by other great apes is
    probably a good one. I do think you will find that cleaning
    the immediate vicinity of the mouth is one common use of
    the tongue.

    Yours,

    Bill Morse