Romandy: Hors Category blooper

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bart, May 2, 2003.

  1. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Francisco Perez looked on his way to a great win, having led the second half of the 15 km climb
    solo, while Hamilton, Sastre, Dufaux and Moos were chasing him. But the finish was not on top of the
    climb, instead the riders were supposed to make a gruelling, twisting 2 or 3 kms up and down through
    the village. The final 400 m were uphill again. Perez , with a 20 seconds lead on 2 locals who had
    checked the course well had no choice but to ride edgy. He managed well... until the beforelast
    turn, where the following cars were to be deviated. The policeman stood on the road were Perez was
    supposed to turn to, leaving the wider rightside road open for the cars. Perez didnt see him
    waving....and I think neither the motors who were guiding. He rode some 100 meters without
    spectators and in normal traffic before he realised.

    The idea of this finish was to give the local boys home advantage....

    BRAVO !!!!!!!!

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Francisco Perez looked on his way to a great win, having led the second
    half
    > of the 15 km climb solo, while Hamilton, Sastre, Dufaux and Moos were chasing him. But the finish
    > was not on top of the climb, instead the
    riders
    > were supposed to make a gruelling, twisting 2 or 3 kms up and down through the village. The final
    > 400 m were uphill again. Perez , with a 20 seconds lead on 2 locals who had checked the course
    > well had no choice but to ride edgy. He managed well... until the beforelast turn, where the
    > following cars were to be deviated. The policeman stood on the road were Perez was supposed to
    > turn to, leaving the wider rightside road open for the cars. Perez didnt see him waving....and I
    > think neither the motors who were guiding. He rode some 100 meters without spectators
    and
    > in normal traffic before he realised.
    >
    > The idea of this finish was to give the local boys home advantage....
    >
    > BRAVO !!!!!!!!

    I think this is the thread that should have been labeled, "Frustration
    is..."

    The French Eurosport commentators were completely fooled.

  3. Dolfy

    Dolfy Guest

    Bart <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Francisco Perez looked on his way to a great win, having led the second half of the 15 km climb
    > solo, while Hamilton, Sastre, Dufaux and Moos were chasing him. But the finish was not on top of
    > the climb, instead the riders were supposed to make a gruelling, twisting 2 or 3 kms up and down
    > through the village. The final 400 m were uphill again. Perez , with a 20 seconds lead on 2 locals
    > who had checked the course well had no choice but to ride edgy. He managed well... until the
    > beforelast turn, where the following cars were to be deviated. The policeman stood on the road
    > were Perez was supposed to turn to, leaving the wider rightside road open for the cars. Perez
    > didnt see him waving....and I think neither the motors who were guiding. He rode some 100 meters
    > without spectators and in normal traffic before he realised.
    >
    > The idea of this finish was to give the local boys home advantage....
    >
    > BRAVO !!!!!!!!

    Yeah, very sad for Perez, but very normal thing that can happen is Switzerland but than normaly it
    happens on smaller races, not big ones like these.

    --
    Dolfy -Webstek : http://dolfy.50megs.com -"That's OK, it's just a burden always being right." -(John
    Crichton - Farscape)

  4. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote> Perez , with a 20 seconds lead on 2 locals who
    had checked the course well
    > had no choice but to ride edgy. He managed well... until the beforelast turn, where the following
    > cars were to be deviated. The policeman stood on the road were Perez was supposed to turn to,
    > leaving the wider rightside road open for the cars. Perez didnt see him waving....and I think
    > neither the motors who were guiding.

    Perez finally finished 5:00 back after wandering around the back streets of Leoche les Baines for a
    while, followed by the moto cam. The race officials gave him the same time as Dufaux. The policeman
    was standing in the wrong place.

    On the final hill, Milaneza was extremely active, since this was one of their last chances to
    impress the TdF selection committee before the final selections are made. Perez was the last of four
    Milaneza riders to make his move and it looked good.

    The peloton shattered, and only six riders were left to chase Perez (one of whom was Jeker, Perez's
    teammate). The others were Dufaux, Moos, Hamilton and Sastre, and Popovych.

    Frigo lost big time. Hamilton is in 4th, +:15 on Dufaux, who got a 10 second bonus (as did Perez).

  5. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On the final hill, Milaneza was extremely active, since this was one of their last chances to
    >impress the TdF selection committee before the final selections are made.

    When is the day of LeBlank's announcement?

  6. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > On the final hill, Milaneza was extremely active, since this was one of their last chances to
    > impress the TdF selection committee before the final selections are made. Perez was the last of
    > four Milaneza riders to make
    his
    > move and it looked good.

    ?? Milaneze was given a Tour-pass, but their DS turned it down as he wasn't sure his team would be
    able to stay strong enough for that long. Claus Michael Møller was disappointed with this dicision,
    but agreed that it would be better to ride with strength, than just be forgotten.

    HB

  7. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Henrik Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Robert Chung" skrev
    > > On the final hill, Milaneza was extremely active, since this was one of their last chances to
    > > impress the TdF selection committee before the
    final
    > > selections are made. Perez was the last of four Milaneza riders to make his move and it
    > > looked good.
    > >

    > ?? Milaneze was given a Tour-pass, but their DS turned it down as he
    wasn't
    > sure his team would be able to stay strong enough for that long. Claus Michael Møller was
    > disappointed with this dicision, but agreed that it
    would
    > be better to ride with strength, than just be forgotten.

    Then you have information that I don't. When and how did they get a pass? I'm still under the
    impression that there will be four more teams announced on May 19.

  8. Otto

    Otto Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The French Eurosport commentators were completely fooled.

    The Belgian TV guys were fooled as well: "what a starnge finish, so many cars on the side of the
    road ..." etc.

  9. Dolfy

    Dolfy Guest

    Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Perez finally finished 5:00 back after wandering around the back streets of Leoche les Baines for
    > a while, followed by the moto cam. The race officials gave him the same time as Dufaux. The
    > policeman was standing in the wrong place.

    Not only the same time but also the victory. So two riders who had won the stage, nice...

    --
    Dolfy -Webstek : http://dolfy.50megs.com -"That's OK, it's just a burden always being right." -(John
    Crichton - Farscape)

  10. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Dolfy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1fudvjc.1cg34za180etjcN%[email protected]...
    > Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Perez finally finished 5:00 back after wandering around the back streets
    of
    > > Leoche les Baines for a while, followed by the moto cam. The race
    officials
    > > gave him the same time as Dufaux. The policeman was standing in the
    wrong
    > > place.
    >
    > Not only the same time but also the victory. So two riders who had won the stage, nice...

    A vaguely interesting side-effect of that decision is that both Perez and Dufaux got 10 second
    bonuses for winning the stage. Moos is now in 2nd on GC at +:06 (and Hamilton is 4th at +:15).
    Without Dufaux's bonus, Moos would have been 4 seconds ahead of Dufaux.

  11. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote
    > A vaguely interesting side-effect of that decision is that both Perez and Dufaux got 10 second
    > bonuses for winning the stage. Moos is now in 2nd on
    GC
    > at +:06 (and Hamilton is 4th at +:15). Without Dufaux's bonus, Moos would have been 4 seconds
    > ahead of Dufaux.

    Hmmm. There's an inconsistency somewhere. Moos started the day 1 second ahead of Dufaux and 3
    seconds ahead of Hamilton.

  12. Dolfy

    Dolfy Guest

    Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > A vaguely interesting side-effect of that decision is that both Perez and Dufaux got 10 second
    > > bonuses for winning the stage. Moos is now in 2nd on
    > GC
    > > at +:06 (and Hamilton is 4th at +:15). Without Dufaux's bonus, Moos would have been 4 seconds
    > > ahead of Dufaux.
    >
    > Hmmm. There's an inconsistency somewhere. Moos started the day 1 second ahead of Dufaux and 3
    > seconds ahead of Hamilton.

    Doesn't matter really anymore :) Perez took revenge today by taking the stage and leads now in the
    overall standing with 29 seconds on Dufaux who's now second.. That's the way to do it.. Haha..

    --
    Dolfy -Webstek : http://dolfy.50megs.com -"That's OK, it's just a burden always being right." -(John
    Crichton - Farscape)

  13. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Dolfy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1fue6yl.1h9ph6f14al6niN%[email protected]...
    > Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > > A vaguely interesting side-effect of that decision is that both Perez
    and
    > > > Dufaux got 10 second bonuses for winning the stage. Moos is now in 2nd
    on
    > > GC
    > > > at +:06 (and Hamilton is 4th at +:15). Without Dufaux's bonus, Moos
    would
    > > > have been 4 seconds ahead of Dufaux.
    > >
    > > Hmmm. There's an inconsistency somewhere. Moos started the day 1 second ahead of Dufaux and 3
    > > seconds ahead of Hamilton.
    >
    > Doesn't matter really anymore :) Perez took revenge today by taking the stage and leads now in
    > the overall standing with 29 seconds on Dufaux who's now second.. That's the way to do it.. Haha..

    Did you see Perez check the direction with the race official at about the 100m to go mark? I thought
    that was pretty amusing.

    Milaneza ran the end game perfectly. Very aggressive, very organized. They did a similarly nice job
    at the final stage of Paris-Nice.

  14. Dolfy

    Dolfy Guest

    Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Doesn't matter really anymore :) Perez took revenge today by taking the stage and leads now in
    > > the overall standing with 29 seconds on Dufaux who's now second.. That's the way to do it..
    > > Haha..
    >
    > Did you see Perez check the direction with the race official at about the 100m to go mark? I
    > thought that was pretty amusing.

    Yes I say it, indeed amusing to see.

    > Milaneza ran the end game perfectly. Very aggressive, very organized. They did a similarly nice
    > job at the final stage of Paris-Nice.

    Yep. Very nice.