Romantic Road and Lake Constance?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Lynn Monsanto, Feb 28, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    Has anyone bicycle toured along the Romantic Road (Romantische Strasse) in southern Germany? I was
    thinking of flying into Munich, then taking the train to Wurzburg and bicycling south through
    Rothenburg and Dinkelsbuhl to Augsburg. I've read a lot of good things about the route since it
    follows bike paths and secondary roads for almost the entire way.

    Alternately, I was also thinking of bicycling around Lake Constance (Bodensee) since it, once
    again, follows bike paths and secondary roads almost the entire way. The lake is on the border
    between Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The scenery, small towns (and beer) should be fantastic
    on either route.

    (Please reply to either this list or monsanto at sun dot com)

    Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Lynn Monsanto San Francisco, CA

    Tags:

  2. Lynn,

    I and 2 friends did that EXACT trip 2 years ago. We flew to Munich, trained (new word!) to Wurzburg
    and then cycled, mostly on bike paths but also on roads. It was mostly excellent. If you do it, get
    the bike path maps there are you're away. We then cycled from Neuschwannstein (disappointing) over
    the mountain into Austria and cycled to Lake Constance. This entailed big big climbs. We then
    cycled about 70 km around Lake Constance (it's a huge distance around on bike paths) and got the
    boat back to Lindau. From there we cycled more or less along the border, in and out of Germany and
    over the mountain to Berchtesgaten (fantastic). Went for boat trip on Konigsee (marvellous) and got
    train back.

    The Romantische Strasse is a good cycle. Germany is very good for cycling. I've also done the Rhine,
    Mosel, Lahn, Neckar valleys.

    Garry Lee Cork Ireland

  3. mperry

    mperry Guest

    Hello Lynn If you choose the Lake Constance route be sure to visit Stein am Rhein at the western end
    of the lake where the Rhine flows westward towards Schaffhausen. It is a beautiful, restored old
    town (very small). Motorized traffic is not allowed. The hotels are quaint and the restaurants
    excellent. We had dinner at an Italian one along the river where they boast having the Guiness
    record for the world's longest spaghetti. You will love the whole area. Mike Lynn Monsanto