Rome Airport

ekasirhc

Aug 4, 2003
Rome was slow and unhelpful on our arrival but departure
was made horrendous by their insistance on removing front
wheels and wrapping in clingfilm. This left the forks and guards
unprotected and resulted in damage to several bikes.

I flew into and out of Rome by Ryanair very smoothly, a month ago. Just had to take pedals off, turn handlebars round, and deflate tires. Bike was wheeled on as it was, as far as I could see.

Cost £15 each way in addition to air fare.

There are two Rome airports, Ryainair goes into Ciampino which is very small.

ekasirhc
I think you can expect to have your bike damaged if you are not going to put it in a box or a bag. Years ago I used to load my bike onto flights without boxing it, and usually some damage occurred. Now I always box it, tie the box with some light rope, and make handles in the light rope for the baggage handlers to pick the box up (that way they don't damage the box when they are handling it). I have travelled between NZ, Europe and the Americas many times with my bike this way and it has only been damaged once - and it was very minor.

Fiumicino - the main airport in Rome - is a great airport for you and your bike. Left luggage is kind and considerate and inexpensive (compared with other airports) and it is one of the few large airports that is easy to ride in an out of without getting trapped on a large multi-laned road.

Originally posted by brendajane
ekasirhc
Fiumicino - the main airport in Rome - is a great airport for you and your bike. Left luggage is kind and considerate and inexpensive (compared with other airports) and it is one of the few large airports that is easy to ride in an out of without getting trapped on a large multi-laned road.

Dear Brenda Jane

I'm going to be flying into Fiumicino in May and I was wondering if you know whether I can take my bike on the train that runs from the airport to the city? Since I'll be travelling from Australia I'm sure I won't be in a fit state to ride all the way to Rome :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kathy