Ronde van Vlaanderen 2006

I haven't been able to watch the race yet, but also wonder why Hoste did not just stop working very very early on after attacking and Boonen followed him. Hoste could have stopped working, and increased the chances of Hincapie getting up to him (with the rest of the small group). At least then Hincapie and Hoste would be together (although Boonen would be with Bettini and two other teammates). :confused:

musette said:
I haven't been able to watch the race yet, but also wonder why Hoste did not just stop working very very early on after attacking and Boonen followed him. Hoste could have stopped working, and increased the chances of Hincapie getting up to him (with the rest of the small group). At least then Hincapie and Hoste would be together (although Boonen would be with Bettini and two other teammates). :confused:

Hincapie wouldn't chase down a break of two when one of them is his own team mate, unless Leif dropped back.

MJtje said:
Talking about Hoste........how many years is the dude racing?? He sprinted like a rookie.......you never ever sprint from 500 metres out, ESPECIALLY NOT against TOM %*()^)_(__&^Y_(&^ Boonen

There were a dozen things Hoste could have tried and none of them would have worked - at least he tried something.

I disagree. A long sprint for Hoste would be the more unexpected move, the one most likely to catch Boonen off guard. Of course, it didn't. On these sorts of parcours, unless Boonen is sick, he is not going to be beaten.

I would have to say that once the gap went over 1 minute and the second group where not coming back (with Hincapie and Bettini covering for their men out front) it was Boonens race to loose. There was pretty much nothing Hoste could have done to win, he was racing for second. Boonen is too strong.

Role on Gent-Wevelgem and Paris-Roubaix, another two wins for Boonen perhaps?

DiabloScott said:
Hincapie wouldn't chase down a break of two when one of them is his own team mate, unless Leif dropped back.

There were a dozen things Hoste could have tried and none of them would have worked - at least he tried something.
I havent seen the race but it sounds like Hoste tried to get the jump on Boonen by sprinting very shortly after taking that last right hander, it worked to the extnt it surprised Boonen but no one can beat Boonen so Hoste did what he could.

Any ideas what the prolonged dialogue was during the last 1.5km? between Boonen and Hoste?

There isn't anything Hoste coud have done. Slowing down was the only hope he had, and his hope was that Boonen would have to downshift and there was a small possibility that there would be a mechanical problem ..... He could only hope that Boonen would throw a chain ..... He knew there was zero hope in beating him in any kind of sprint without a mechanical.

I'm going to keep quiet until I see the race, but I will note that Karsten Kroon is having a very strong early season. (and cheers to PVP for a good race.) I'd compliment Boonen, but I imagine that he'll get enough of that from the Belgian papers :)

wolfix said:
There isn't anything Hoste coud have done. Slowing down was the only hope he had, and his hope was that Boonen would have to downshift and there was a small possibility that there would be a mechanical problem ..... He could only hope that Boonen would throw a chain ..... He knew there was zero hope in beating him in any kind of sprint without a mechanical.
Good point!
It would be unfair victory, but that could be the only way to beat Boonen.

whiteboytrash said:
Agreed why don't they split the shows between EuroSport 1 + 2.....
I don't have a clue. OK I understand that there is an audience for WTCC but for Motocross?
Anyway managed to watch a summary of the last 38km after the Monza race and that ****** me off even more... It was too good a race to miss. Boonen is unbelievable and I don't see how he won't win PR. I'm curious about LBL. OK these were short climbs today but who knows?

You and the others are right: hoste was never going to win, BUT Boonen was in front constant looking back and Hoste did get 40/50 metres on Boonen when he sprinted......aah well, Boonen is too good!

Paris roubaix is certainly in the bag.........

Btw who noticed wilfried peteers also offering hoste water, when hoste and boonen just went off.........it was in the interest of quickstep that hoste was riding with boonen and not against...........

Karsten Kroon is doing great. He switched from rabo to csc, because he couldn't get the freedom he wanted at rabo. ''Now bjarne riss gives me totall freedom'', as kroon said on sporza after the RvV. He said that he came 5 to 10 metres from boonen and hoste, but boonen did his first pull and they just went off and he new from then on that he missed the crucial break.........

wolfix said:

Boonen's performance on the Koppenberg - when about 97% of the peloton got off and played cyclocross - was just superb - you knew he had the race won at that point. Oh, and the moment that Pozzato, Boonen and Bettini were chatting together and smiling showed just how strong that QSI team are.

At the end of the day, QSI yet again have the rider standing on the top step of one of the monuments - 2nds and 3rds are all well and good but wins they aint...

hombredesubaru said:
I havent seen the race but it sounds like Hoste tried to get the jump on Boonen by sprinting very shortly after taking that last right hander, it worked to the extnt it surprised Boonen but no one can beat Boonen so Hoste did what he could.

Any ideas what the prolonged dialogue was during the last 1.5km? between Boonen and Hoste?

Seemed to be an amicable discussion - there were no hand gestures or nodding of the head by either rider.
ES weren't able to throw any light on what they were discussing.

DiabloScott said:

There's no need to state such an obvious point. My question was why Hoste did not realize he had no prospects one-on-one against Boonen (except for a mechanical), after he tried to attack and it was Boonen who followed him. My question is why Hoste right then and there, when Hincapie did have a chance of catching them, did not immediatley not work and try to slow the Boonen+Hoste group. I'm not sure Hoste acted in a manner that was to Discovery's best advantage.

Hincapie was to later remark:

"I'm a bit disappointed because we didn't win. Hoste played his card and that's alright [translation: Not great for Hincapie]. Sadly, my legs felt better than ever but I couldn't show it. In the pursuit, Bettini covered every move the others made. After 260 kilometres, everything is possible. If you look to my sprint, you'll see that I'm a few bike lengths ahead of the others."

micron said:
Boonen's performance on the Koppenberg - when about 97% of the peloton got off and played cyclocross - was just superb - you knew he had the race won at that point. Oh, and the moment that Pozzato, Boonen and Bettini were chatting together and smiling showed just how strong that QSI team are.

At the end of the day, QSI yet again have the rider standing on the top step of one of the monuments - 2nds and 3rds are all well and good but wins they aint...

Yeah, surreal really looking at their chatting - it was like a club run.

Bettini/Pozzato really worked the field over : and when Boonen went at the Koppenberg, the race was sealed.

Hoste made a valiant effort but as soon as he tried to breakaway, Boonen went with him immediately.
Hoste tried and tried to burn Boonen but Boonen just always seemed to ahve the extra gear.
There was a great shot of them at climb 17 (Kwaremoont??????) and the TV camera panned in on the back of Boonens legs.
The muscles on the man - his legs are pure power.

Point is 2nd is still better then 3th......period!! Hoste was the strongest and tested that on a berg and he got boonen with him and there they briefly talked and decided they would be going ahead........

What would youre scenario be then? Wait till a group sprint and then maybe hoste was going to be 6th with his good form........at least he tried and made it to 2nd!

musette said:
There's no need to state such an obvious point. My question was why Hoste did not realize he had no prospects one-on-one against Boonen (except for a mechanical), after he tried to attack and it was Boonen who followed him. My question is why Hoste right then and there, when Hincapie did have a chance of catching them, did not immediatley not work and try to slow the Boonen+Hoste group.

MJtje said:
Point is 2nd is still better then 3th......period!!

A sure second (with a minute chance for first) for a cyclist is not necessarilly better for that person's team (esp if the team is Discovery) than a greater chance (but still a small chance) at first using two cyclists from the same team (esp given an in-form Hincapie whom Hoste recognized pre-race was DC's team leader). :p

musette said:
A sure second (with a minute chance for first) for a cyclist is not necessarilly better for that person's team (esp if the team is Discovery) than a greater chance (but still a small chance) at first using two cyclists from the same team (esp given an in-form Hincapie whom Hoste recognized pre-race was DC's team leader). :p

Hincapie's fate was sealed - QuickStep worked him over repeatedly - in a word he was bolloxed.
Tactically, DS got it wrong - SK said as much on ES with 89kms to go (that was before they hit the major climbs - Kelly always calls it correctly).

Hoste made a good effort today - Kudos to him but his team management didn't call the race correctly.

limerickman said:
Hincapie's fate was sealed - QuickStep worked him over repeatedly - in a word he was bolloxed.
Tactically, DS got it wrong - SK said as much on ES with 89kms to go (that was before they hit the major climbs - Kelly always calls it correctly).

Hoste made a good effort today - Kudos to him but his team management didn't call the race correctly.
Hincapie may have strong legs, but he nearly always finds himself at the wrong end of the tactics. Think of last years Ronde, where he had Armstrong riding support, and Discovery missed the key selection.

Quick Step is an incredible force. Perhaps they will ride in support of one of their other guys in Ghent Wevelgem. I also can't wait to see the startlist for Paris Roubiax!

strummer_fan said:
Hincapie may have strong legs, but he nearly always finds himself at the wrong end of the tactics. Think of last years Ronde, where he had Armstrong riding support, and Discovery missed the key selection.

Quick Step is an incredible force. Perhaps they will ride in support of one of their other guys in Ghent Wevelgem. I also can't wait to see the startlist for Paris Roubiax!

I wouldn't discount Hincapie for P-R but DS have to get the tactics right if GH's going to win P-R.

Like you I'm looking forward to P-R.

musette said:
Hincapie was to later remark:

"I'm a bit disappointed because we didn't win. Hoste played his card and that's alright [translation: Not great for Hincapie]. Sadly, my legs felt better than ever but I couldn't show it. In the pursuit, Bettini covered every move the others made. After 260 kilometres, everything is possible. If you look to my sprint, you'll see that I'm a few bike lengths ahead of the others."
Hincapie is the Jan Ullrich of the Classics but worse.... Hincapie has never won a Claissic after 9 years of trying and still doesn't look like he will win one.... now his own team are riding against him.... this will probably be Hincapie's last year... he is finished as a Classics rider.... what a joke... yes he was won some small races and a stage here and there but so has Jan Ullrich..... big deal. Boonen is the real deal, a real cyclist.