Roof carriers

Steve

Guest
Any views or opinions on which is the best style of roof carrier to go for? Bike upright, inverted,
or with front wheel out? Ads / disads?

Cheers

Steve

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any views or opinions on which is the best style of roof carrier to go
for?

Roof carrier in particular? I think rear-mounted carriers are better for the bikes and less noisy in
use (I have both types).

Try http://www.roofbox.co.uk by the way - very helpful.

--
Guy
===

Steve,

I've used both. Firstly, I recommend upright rather than upside-down ones. The reason for this is
that then the bikes are upside down, the widest parts
(i.e. the handlebars) are all at the same level, thus they interfere with each other. When upright,
handlebars of smaller bikes are lower than those of bigger bikes, and so you can get more
bikes on. I get 4 onto a Renault Laguna. You've also got the option of lowering handlebars,
twisting handlebars or removing pedals if you really want to cram them on. You need to
position pedals carefully, and practice makes perfect in this!

Which make to use? I have two types of Halfords ones. Be careful if you buy the type with a hinged
fixed bar (which seems to be the one which Halfords sell at the moment). The reason to be concerned
is that if your bike is longer than the distance between your two roofbars (and this distance is
often fixed due to the design of the car and its roofbars) , the weight of the bikes allows the
fixed bar to "kink" downwards, reducing its strength.

I bought two of these hinged ones, threw away the hinged bars and replaced them with 2 chunky Thule
fixed bars, which is a pretty good solution.

Putting bikes on the roof is by far the best way to carry them, in my opinion. Be careful when
pulling into in-laws' drive when their washing lines are across it! Also, car-park height limiters,
car ferries etc.

Peter.

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any views or opinions on which is the best style of roof carrier to go
for?
> Bike upright, inverted, or with front wheel out? Ads / disads?
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

>Try http://www.roofbox.co.uk by the way - very helpful.

Roofbox were great when we bought a tow bar mounted cycle carrier from them last summer.

However - cautionary tale. We've had problems with the one we bought - a substantial part of it
dropped off. So we (Vernon & I) have been in contact with Roofbox about replacing the bit that
dropped off. To put it bluntly - so far it's like getting blood out of a stone. Despite repeated
phone calls and emails, nothing has been done. To quote one of their staff to Vernon - "Oh we've
been too busy to look at your problem."

Needless to say, I'm not impressed. So at the moment I have a three bike carrier that can only
carry two.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

> "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Any views or opinions on which is the best style of roof carrier to go
> for?
>

> Roof carrier in particular? I think rear-mounted carriers are better for the bikes and less noisy
> in use (I have both types).
>
> Try http://www.roofbox.co.uk by the way - very helpful.
>
> --
> Guy
> ===
> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
> about it perhaps you could think when we talk
of
> bicycles, that you see them printing their proud wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

Have to agree with Guy - the roof mounted jobbies drive you nuts with the noise when travelling at
any speed (and also have the downside of limitations in car parks etc where there are height
barriers) - loading is also awkward unless a) you are tall, and b) the bike(s) are light.

Try the rear mounted ones, especially those that mount on a towball and don't risk damage to the car
(see the Thule models, esp the 971)

RG

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Have to agree with Guy - the roof mounted jobbies drive you nuts with the noise when travelling at
> any speed (and also have the downside of limitations in car parks etc where there are height
> barriers)

My carrier + bike doesn't make any noise, and fits well under almost all barriers. Its actually just
a piece of scrap wood with other pieces joined to it that lets the bike rest on its side, on 4 good
places on the frame.

5 foot 7, bike weighs over 22 kg. It takes a special technique to do it properly!

> Any views or opinions on which is the best style of roof carrier to go for? Bike upright,
> inverted, or with front wheel out? Ads / disads?

Hi Steve,

I have a Mont Blanc roof carrier that plonks my bike on top, where it stands upright, and I'm pretty
pleased with it.

Pros are:

- doesn't require any effort to lift the bike onto the roof. Pulling the pole down to hook the bike
up arms it so that it has the power to lift the bike up on its own.

- seems very secure. I've whizzed around with the bike on at 60-70mph, and there's never been a
hint of it wobbling about or threatening to come off. Doesn't make an unacceptable amount of wind
noise either.

Cons are:

- it was expensive (£150).

- You only get one bike on it.

- for security, it makes sense to detach and stow the pole when the bike isn't on it. This
takes space...

As my car has its spare wheel outside on the back, a roof carrier was my only option. If I were
choosing for a standard family car, I would probably go for one of the boot-mounted ones that can
take several bikes.

HTH Nick

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> 5 foot 7, bike weighs over 22 kg. It takes a special technique to do it properly!

Being 6 foot 1 doesn't improve matters that much - I have to load the triplet onto the roof
single-handed, which is no small task as it is *very* heavy!

--
Guy
===

[email protected] (Steve) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Any views or opinions on which is the best style of roof carrier to go for? Bike upright,
> inverted, or with front wheel out? Ads / disads?
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

More by luck than judgement I have ended up with three different types all of which get used
depending on number of bikes. The Automaxi type bike upside down with saddle in socket and bars
clamped only really any good for kids bikes as easily adjustable lenghtways and bikes are not too
heavy so easy to invert. The Halfords gutter type, easy to load but don't like the big clamp which
is stiff and needs three hands,and prone to swaying side to side. Definite best is the San Marco
front wheel off job but not very adjustable and you need to store the wheel, which can mean
bungeeing to frame if boot full (which it probably will be if you are using a rack in the first
place)also need to be very careful loading forks into front clamp to avoid slipping and expensive
scratches to paintwork (best for lighter bikes). If you are carrying more than 2 bikes allow for
bars fouling. Hope this helps.

"al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Steve,
>
> I've used both. Firstly, I recommend upright rather than upside-down ones.

Also, the handlebar clamps on upside down ones are not width adjustable so you need to remove
odometer, lamp brackets, tri bars etc. before you invert bike and find no free area of bar to clamp
onto (or after if you are a masochist!) Upright generally avoids damage to erogenous zones of bike
ie saddle and bar tape.

Roof vs rear carriers is horses for courses: rear ones can be vicious unless fixed to tow bar (who
has one of them?), especially at hanging points and where they touch the bodywork (I remember a
friend borrowing my Paddy H for L2B and returning with two nice dimples in his brand spanking new
Peugeot boot (fortunately company car). Plus you try getting camping booking reference etc out of
boot of car in queue for campsite on bank holiday weekend with 4 bikes on back!

martin wrote:

> Roof vs rear carriers is horses for courses: rear ones can be vicious unless fixed to tow bar (who
> has one of them?),

Me. Every car I've owned has had one. Very useful weapon against the park by ear brigade, plus
trailers can be quite handy too. But yes, getting stuff out of the boot is a PITA when the bike
rack is installed.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Thanks all for replying, very helpful. I actually have a MaxxRaxx towball mounted 4 bike carrier
which I thought was wonderful. The problem was that I sold my car and forgot to take off the bracket
off the towbar! Speaking to the company, it will cost me £70 just to get the replacement bits
required and then I would still have to fork out for a towbar for this car!!! This car already has
roof rails and I have roof bars for it, which is why I figured that roof mounted could be the way to
go. Anybody want a MaxxRaxx with some bits missing??

Cheers

Steve

> However - cautionary tale. We've had problems with the one we bought - a substantial part of it
> dropped off. So we (Vernon & I) have been in
contact
> with Roofbox about replacing the bit that dropped off. To put it bluntly -
so
> far it's like getting blood out of a stone. Despite repeated phone calls
and
> emails, nothing has been done. To quote one of their staff to Vernon - "Oh we've been too busy to
> look at your problem."

And that would be the same 'Roofbox' company that can't be bothered to create a database of racks
and fittings (even though they publicise it widely on their site), and then don't bother to reply to
emails asking a simple question of which rack for which car; even though they actively invite those
questions.

I went to their website because I saw lots of good things said about them in this forum, but given
their apathy, I won't be purchasing anything from them...

Regards,

Pete.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:45:51 +0100, "Peter Connolly" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I went to their website because I saw lots of good things said about them in this forum, but given
>their apathy, I won't be purchasing anything from them...

Maybe they've gone downhill of a suddenly. They were fine when I used them.

Guy
===

Ian wrote:

> Does anyone carry a bent on a roof mounted rack, if so, which bent and which rack are you using?

Have done in the past - Kingcycle with Thule carrier of the type which clamps around the downtube of
an upright. And have also carried a Windcheetah on ordinary roof bars, just tied the wheels to the
bars with toe-straps (and removed the seat to cut drag.

The clampy-doofers, though, are limited in the size of tube they can accomodate, so something with a
fat monotube may not work even if the tube is in the right place.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/