Roof rack for Optima Baron?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by T3kh0r, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. T3kh0r

    T3kh0r Guest

    Hi Folks,

    Does anyone out there know of a make/model roof bicycle rack out there that will transport an
    Optima Baron?

    The bike is a standard Baron Discus.

    I know there's one out there. I saw one on the Yellowbike "Punchbuggy". Too bad that they are still
    not around or this search would be a phone call away.

    Mainly I'm looking for a roof rack with a frame clamp so the bike need not be dismanted when
    transported.

    My current vehicle is a Honda Element. I already have the main support bars for a rack installed.
    The are OEM'ed Thule bars. The have the slot on top and are also rectangular in construction so they
    should accept most major brands.

    Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    ~t

    > My current vehicle is a Honda Element.

    > Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

    I would think that a Baron would fit inside of a Honda Element. After all, the vehicle is pictured
    with two MTBs inside.

    Personally, I would rather my expensive recumbent in the Element than outside in the elements.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. T3kh0r

    T3kh0r Guest

    "I would think that a Baron would fit inside of a Honda Element. After all, the vehicle is pictured
    with two MTBs inside."

    The bike doesnt fit.

    I would love to keep the Baron inside the vehicle. However, it doesn't fit. The bike is about a foot
    too long. The bike barely fits with the rear wheel removed which of course leaves the chain on the
    floor. Chain oil all over the interior.... I'll pass. That's why I am seeking a roof rack.

    "Personally, I would rather my expensive recumbent in the Element than outside in the elements."

    I live in mostly sunny California so the weather is not a concern. I don't consider theft an issue
    either. The bike would go on the car and to the trail and back. It would not be left unattended.

    Thanks for the thoughts :)

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > My current vehicle is a Honda Element.
    >
    > > Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I would think that a Baron would fit inside of a Honda Element. After all, the vehicle is pictured
    > with two MTBs inside.
    >
    > Personally, I would rather my expensive recumbent in the Element than outside in the elements.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Carl

    Carl Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "T3kH0r" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone out there know of a make/model roof bicycle rack out there that will transport an
    > Optima Baron?

    You might look into the Sportworks roof rack. It uses the same "hoop & hook" technique as their
    hitch racks so there's no wheel removal. The tandem/recumbent roof rack is at the bottom of this
    page. http://www.bicycleracks.com/stbob.asp

    The hitch racks are available with different wheel hoop sizes. This web page doesn't show anything
    about hoop size, but I would expect you could order one with the right size for your bike.

    I've seen other similar racks on cars around here, but haven't paid attention so I don't know if
    they were SportWorks or another brand.

    -Carl

  5. Thule makes trays to fit their roof racks. Why not use one of those? If it's too short, simply cut
    it in half and bolt in a short section of aluminum angle. All the weight is at each end of the tray.
    The add in section just holds the two ends together.

    "T3kH0r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Does anyone out there know of a make/model roof bicycle rack out there
    that
    > will transport an Optima Baron?
    >
    > The bike is a standard Baron Discus.
    >
    > I know there's one out there. I saw one on the Yellowbike "Punchbuggy".
    Too
    > bad that they are still not around or this search would be a phone call away.
    >
    > Mainly I'm looking for a roof rack with a frame clamp so the bike need not be dismanted when
    > transported.
    >
    > My current vehicle is a Honda Element. I already have the main support
    bars
    > for a rack installed. The are OEM'ed Thule bars. The have the slot on top and are also rectangular
    > in construction so they should accept most major brands.
    >
    > Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > ~t

  6. T3kh0r

    T3kh0r Guest

    Wow.

    That just might work!

    There's a dealer a few miles from my house. I will have to check them out.

    Thanks!

    news:[email protected]...

  7. T3kH0r <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I would love to keep the Baron inside the vehicle. However, it doesn't fit. The bike is about a
    : foot too long. The bike barely fits with the rear wheel removed which of course leaves the chain
    : on the floor. Chain oil all over the interior.... I'll pass. That's why I am seeking a roof rack.

    You could put some old newspapers there, it should work but maybe you don't like it.

    Did you try all configurations... like sliding in the boom... letting the pedals reach all the way
    beside the driver? Works for a Challenge Jester and a small station wagon, no need to take it apart.

  8. T3kh0r

    T3kh0r Guest

    Thanks but that won't exactly work.

    There is a small center console between the driver and passenger seats. The vehicle is also a stick
    shift. Putting either end of the bike between the two front seats would make it difficutl if not
    impossible to shift. The stick shift is on the dash. It's a new Honda thing.

    I would image newspaper would somewhat work all be it messy.

    The boom on my Baron will go no further in without cutting it. I've had to cut it twice and don't
    plan on doing it again any time soon. I would also be concerned with the bolts that secure the boom
    considering they screw into the frame. I don't think Optima designed them for frequent use. I'd be
    afraid of eventually stripping them out.

    These things all point me solely in the direction of a roof rack. I already have 50% of the
    hardware. I just need the section that holds the bike and bolts/clamps to the two cross beams
    already attached to my Element.

    If anyone knows what rack would do it please let me know.

    Thanks! <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > T3kH0r <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : I would love to keep the Baron inside the vehicle. However, it doesn't
    fit.
    > : The bike is about a foot too long. The bike barely fits with the rear
    wheel
    > : removed which of course leaves the chain on the floor. Chain oil all
    over
    > : the interior.... I'll pass. That's why I am seeking a roof rack.
    >
    > You could put some old newspapers there, it should work but maybe you don't like it.
    >
    > Did you try all configurations... like sliding in the boom... letting the pedals reach all the
    > way beside the driver? Works for a Challenge Jester and a small station wagon, no need to take
    > it apart.
    >
    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

  9. I use the Yakima Viper LT (long tray) with my Optima Baron and Barcroft Virginia GT. Just remove the
    front wheel and put the bike on the rack. Works great, with the minimum of hassle.

    David Elliott

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Does anyone out there know of a make/model roof bicycle rack out there
    that
    > will transport an Optima Baron?

  10. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    ~t, I use an ATOC BT-63 on Thule bars to transport my Baron. This works on both my Civic coupe and
    Pontiac Vibe (though it requires different bars). ATOC ( http://www.atoc.com/ ) makes a number of
    different long trays for car top racks. I had to remove a small bit on the top of the tray to clear
    my disc brace calipers but other than that it works great. Craig

    "T3kH0r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > Does anyone out there know of a make/model roof bicycle rack out there that will transport an
    > Optima Baron?
    >
    > The bike is a standard Baron Discus.
    >
    > I know there's one out there. I saw one on the Yellowbike "Punchbuggy". Too bad that they are
    > still not around or this search would be a phone call away.
    >
    > Mainly I'm looking for a roof rack with a frame clamp so the bike need not be dismanted when
    > transported.
    >
    > My current vehicle is a Honda Element. I already have the main support bars for a rack installed.
    > The are OEM'ed Thule bars. The have the slot on top and are also rectangular in construction so
    > they should accept most major brands.
    >
    > Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > ~t

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:08:02 GMT, "T3kH0r" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone out there know of a make/model roof bicycle rack out there that will transport an
    >Optima Baron?

    My Stinger has a similar frame tube and fits neatly on the Mont Blanc Barracuda - the frame clamp
    handles up to 80mm diameter. I use a couple of extra toestraps on the rear wheel because the inbuilt
    clips are really designed for low pressure tyres, and I loop one toestrap between front wheel and
    frame to keep the front wheel steady (a trick which was in the manual for my Pendle tandem carrier).

    Guy
    ===

  12. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    On most factory roof racks the cross bars are not designed to handle real loads and they are not the
    correct shape for mounting aftermarket bike trays. Your best bet is to get Yakima or Thule load bars
    that fit your car (they have charts to tell you which bars you need) and then get a tray like the
    ATOC to mount your bike. My Pontiac Vibe has a factory rack. The included bars are only designed as
    tie downs. The Pontiac load bars designed for the Vibe would not work with the ATOC tray, which does
    work with Thule and Yakima bars. I had to return the Pontiac bars and buy Thule bars. The Thule are
    much easier to use and they work. Yakima bars maybe a little quieter as they are round instead of
    square. Craig Optima Baron