roof rack idea cont'd.

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. okay the tarp over the bent on the roof rack was not a good idea for all kinds of reasons listed.
    Try this idea...use a Bike Box, the type you'd use to ship a bent in a Jet. Some are made quite
    strong and have locks. Just lock the bike box onto a car/van roof rack and maybe add an alarm system
    to the box in the event anyone tries to force the lock. As for the size of bike box, I'd think if
    you did not want to keep taking your SWB or LWB apart, get a box designed for a Tandem. This has to
    be a cheaper alternative to buying a new vehicle everytime you change bents.

    Tags:

  2. okay the tarp over the bent on the roof rack was not a good idea for all kinds of reasons listed.
    Try this idea...use a Bike Box, the type you'd use to ship a bent in a Jet. Some are made quite
    strong and have locks. Just lock the bike box onto a car/van roof rack and maybe add an alarm system
    to the box in the event anyone tries to force the lock. As for the size of bike box, I'd think if
    you did not want to keep taking your SWB or LWB apart, get a box designed for a Tandem. This has to
    be a cheaper alternative to buying a new vehicle everytime you change bents.

  3. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Try this idea...use a Bike Box, the type you'd use to ship a bent in a
    Jet.
    > Some are made quite strong and have locks. Just lock the bike box onto a car/van roof rack and
    > maybe add an alarm system to the box in the event anyone tries to force the lock.

    An alarm? Are you kidding? When was the last time you saw anyone actually responding to an alarm in
    a parking lot? (other than cursing, that is,) There was a feature on NPR this morning which
    described a major metro police department (LA?) that had decided that, *as policy,* they would no
    long respond to alarms, either car or property alarms. They simply couldn't justify the use of law
    enforcement man-hours spent on responding to the 9 out of 10 alarms that turn out to be bogus.

    Mr. Bass, I hope you have a fallback career. 8^0

    rich

    v2

  4. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Try this idea...use a Bike Box, the type you'd use to ship a bent in a
    Jet.
    > Some are made quite strong and have locks. Just lock the bike box onto a car/van roof rack and
    > maybe add an alarm system to the box in the event anyone tries to force the lock.

    An alarm? Are you kidding? When was the last time you saw anyone actually responding to an alarm in
    a parking lot? (other than cursing, that is,) There was a feature on NPR this morning which
    described a major metro police department (LA?) that had decided that, *as policy,* they would no
    long respond to alarms, either car or property alarms. They simply couldn't justify the use of law
    enforcement man-hours spent on responding to the 9 out of 10 alarms that turn out to be bogus.

    Mr. Bass, I hope you have a fallback career. 8^0

    rich

    v2

  5. I was actually addressing John Riley re: leaving the car in a parking lot and bedding down in a
    motel. I would think someone that close to their car and they knew what the alarm sounded
    like...they would respond b4 the Police. In Toronto auto alarms still get the Police to the scene
    within 3-5 minutes (at least in my area of the city)...then again my area of the city is wall to
    wall luxury autos.
    "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Try this idea...use a Bike Box, the type you'd use to ship a bent in a
    > Jet.
    > > Some are made quite strong and have locks. Just lock the bike box onto a car/van roof rack and
    > > maybe add an alarm system to the box in the event anyone tries to force the lock.
    >

    > An alarm? Are you kidding? When was the last time you saw anyone
    actually
    > responding to an alarm in a parking lot? (other than cursing, that is,) There was a feature on NPR
    > this morning which described a major metro
    police
    > department (LA?) that had decided that, *as policy,* they would no long respond to alarms, either
    > car or property alarms. They simply couldn't justify the use of law enforcement man-hours spent on
    > responding to the 9 out of 10 alarms that turn out to be bogus.
    >
    > Mr. Bass, I hope you have a fallback career. 8^0
    >
    > rich
    >
    > v2

  6. I was actually addressing John Riley re: leaving the car in a parking lot and bedding down in a