Roof rack on a coupe?

Trekhead

Sep 10, 2005
I have a 94 Chevrolet K1500 and I'm used to just throwing my mountain bike and whatever else in the back of the truck. Now I'm tired of getting 13 mpg and I'm thinking about getting a Honda (ouch) or Acura. I've been looking at some Acura RSX's and they are coupes. I've seen some bike racks for the roof that are suppose to fit but I wanted to see if any of you have experience with carrying a bike on that car or one like it.

Trekhead said:
I have a 94 Chevrolet K1500 and I'm used to just throwing my mountain bike and whatever else in the back of the truck. Now I'm tired of getting 13 mpg and I'm thinking about getting a Honda (ouch) or Acura. I've been looking at some Acura RSX's and they are coupes. I've seen some bike racks for the roof that are suppose to fit but I wanted to see if any of you have experience with carrying a bike on that car or one like it.
A friend had an Integra with a Yakima rack, not problems, but it will knock the gas mileage down a bit. I had a POS K1500, gald its gone, my Titan SMOKES it and its 17 to 18 hwy.....but we usually use the wifes Odyssey at 27mpg. Once you go Honda, you'll never look at another Chebby.

My truck has averaged 20 mpg on a trip before and has been a really good truck. If gas wasn't over $3/gal I wouldn't even think about selling it. I just know it's not going to come back down. I might hold out to $3.75 or $4.

Trekhead said:
My truck has averaged 20 mpg on a trip before and has been a really good truck. If gas wasn't over $3/gal I wouldn't even think about selling it. I just know it's not going to come back down. I might hold out to $3.75 or $4.
You've had MUCH better luck than I or my friends wth the Chevy then, Mine maxed out at 15mpg, usually 13 hwy. and after a couple of trannys, alternator of the month club, several starters, TB problems, the AC was out again, rear end was making noise, extended cab lower section was starting to rust, not to mention the interior fall off, and was a dog on power......and everyone I know has had those types of problems with the 92-98s. I guess we just got a bunch of bad ones in the midwest. And Matts was bought back under the lemon law 6 months after be bought it.

I didn't have an RSX, but I had an Integra, 36mpg, damn fast, rock solid reliable. At the time it was just my wife and I so we used a truck rack, now wtih the kids, we haul 4 bikes and a cargo cart everywhere so we use a hitch mount rack or the bed of the truck, with the shell, they are nicely protected.

Mine is a 94. Sorry you had so many problems with yours! I haven't looked at Integras but I think I will check them out.

Trekhead said:
Mine is a 94. Sorry you had so many problems with yours! I haven't looked at Integras but I think I will check them out.
Acura now calls the Integra the RSX and TSX...coupe and sedan respectively. Still great cars. A friend bought an 07 Altima, very nice car, good perfomance, and he's getting 38 to 41 hwy, and its a decent size car. And I know what you mean by gas prices, its $3.15 here. But as a contractor, I need a truck that can pull and haul and a car just won't cut it. If I'm on a site that I can leave tools on, sometimes use the motorcycle to go back and fourth, 52mpg at 95mph. 44mpg in the city with a few wheelies thrown in for fun. Before the kids, and back when gas was under a dollar, I had a trailer for the motorcycle with bike anchors. We would load them up and ride to St Louis or Ill to ride bikes.

I understand. If my truck made me money I'd keep it. My first vehicle was a truck and that's just what I've always had. Gas wasn't too much over $1/gal when I first started driving though. It's a different world now. I can't just drive around in a truck to look cool like some rich rednecks do. I wonder if a roof rack will fit on a new honda civic.

Trekhead said:
I understand. If my truck made me money I'd keep it. My first vehicle was a truck and that's just what I've always had. Gas wasn't too much over $1/gal when I first started driving though. It's a different world now. I can't just drive around in a truck to look cool like some rich rednecks do. I wonder if a roof rack will fit on a new honda civic.
I believe Yakima and Thule both make roof racks for Civics and Accords......very popular cars, if you keep cars, get Hondas equiped the way you want because you'll have it forever. I've usually had over 200k on them when I sold them and they were still running great, I know one was well over 300K after I sold it and still going strong. I've got a 95 Accord that has 160K right now, asside from recharging the AC, no repairs, still has the original tranny fluid. I change oil at 7500 miles per manufactures guidelines and it isn't low after that mileage......and its still getting over 30mpg hwy.

stlblues said:
Acura now calls the Integra the RSX and TSX...coupe and sedan respectively. Still great cars. A friend bought an 07 Altima, very nice car, good perfomance, and he's getting 38 to 41 hwy, and its a decent size car. And I know what you mean by gas prices, its $3.15 here. But as a contractor, I need a truck that can pull and haul and a car just won't cut it. If I'm on a site that I can leave tools on, sometimes use the motorcycle to go back and fourth, 52mpg at 95mph. 44mpg in the city with a few wheelies thrown in for fun. Before the kids, and back when gas was under a dollar, I had a trailer for the motorcycle with bike anchors. We would load them up and ride to St Louis or Ill to ride bikes.
You drive a motorcycle at 95 mph?? :eek:

TheDarkLord said:
You drive a motorcycle at 95 mph?? :eek:
Thats just cruising speed, if I have wide open road, 130. I maxed a friends bike at 174. The Integra would do 141....not with the bikes on it though. Highest I've hit on the Fuji is 56. I need to try a bigger hill.

stlblues said:
52mpg at 95mph

with a few wheelies thrown in for fun

if I have wide open road, 130

I maxed a friends bike at 174

The Integra would do 141
You're as much of a ****ing blowhard as I've ever seen on these forums. Brag, brag, brag, as everything seems to be a contest to you. Maybe you and JTE83 should meet and become friends. With all the **** measuring between you two, I'm sure a reach around would be imminent.

What's next? Why don't you tell us again about racing your mighty Nissan Titan around on city streets with your children in the backseat? It's all fun and games until you get in a wreck and die. Or worse yet, when someone else dies.

Seriously though, if you want to live your life like a nimwitted daredevil, I can't do anything about it. But I can and will complain every time you mention it on these forums.

Scotty_Dog said:
You're as much of a ****ing blowhard as I've ever seen on these forums. Brag, brag, brag, as everything seems to be a contest to you. Maybe you and JTE83 should meet and become friends. With all the **** measuring between you two, I'm sure a reach around would be imminent.

What's next? Why don't you tell us again about racing your mighty Nissan Titan around on city streets with your children in the backseat? It's all fun and games until you get in a wreck and die. Or worse yet, when someone else dies.

Seriously though, if you want to live your life like a nimwitted daredevil, I can't do anything about it. But I can and will complain every time you mention it on these forums.
First off, bite me. And compared to most of the guys I know, I'm tame. And it was a comment on gas mileage, you have to have a point of reference to judge gas mileage. Travel across MO on I70, almost half are running 85to90. I'd rather die that way than scared of my shadow. Go crawl in a dark locked room, something could get you.

Yeah ScottyDog he was just trying to help. People do way more ridiculous stuff than that.

Trekhead said:
Yeah ScottyDog he was just trying to help. People do way more ridiculous stuff than that.
Hell, on the 75 corridor through GA, if your not doing 90 you'll get run over. Its insane from Macon to northern FL. So Trekhead, anywhere near Leesburg? A friends daughter teaches law down there.

Trekhead said:
I'm in Albany. Right next to Leesburg. They've almost grown together. :p
Next time we to down to our condo at Cocoa Beach and stop by Lizzy's, I'll get a hold of you to find out some areas to ride around there. We usually go down every other year and we were down in Oct, so not sure when our next trip down will be. The last one we wound up bring home a hedgehog. They are a lot cheaper down there than in the midwest.

OK man sounds cool. If you Mtn Bike there's a decent trail down by the river now along with a paved "river-walk". There are also some trails in Chehaw Park that I haven't been on in a while. If you know anything about Albany you know that downtown by the river is a lot like Bosnia, but it's pretty safe during the day. :)

Trekhead said:
OK man sounds cool. If you Mtn Bike there's a decent trail down by the river now along with a paved "river-walk". There are also some trails in Chehaw Park that I haven't been on in a while. If you know anything about Albany you know that downtown by the river is a lot like Bosnia, but it's pretty safe during the day. :)
I'll definately have a Mt bike by then, my kids hit a growth spirt this past summer and my son took over my Giant Warp DS1 and my daughter snagged my wifes GT Timberline. Granted both bikes were 7 yrs old, it leaves my wife and I with our road bikes..... with the current economy, it might be close to that long before we get new Mt bikes. And I've partied a number of times in E St Louis, one of the murder capitals of the US, no problem, what are the concelled weapon laws like down there.. LOL

Back to the cars, the VW turbo diesels have high fuel mileage, but diesel is currently $1 more per gallon, at least around here, and is supposed to hit $5 a gallon. Even at almost 50mpg, a Civic or Altima with thier 40+ mileage are a better deal, plus less maintenance, of course you don't have the sub zero temps to deal with like we do.

stlblues said:
I'll definately have a Mt bike by then, my kids hit a growth spirt this past summer and my son took over my Giant Warp DS1 and my daughter snagged my wifes GT Timberline. Granted both bikes were 7 yrs old, it leaves my wife and I with our road bikes..... with the current economy, it might be close to that long before we get new Mt bikes. And I've partied a number of times in E St Louis, one of the murder capitals of the US, no problem, what are the concelled weapon laws like down there.. LOL

Back to the cars, the VW turbo diesels have high fuel mileage, but diesel is currently $1 more per gallon, at least around here, and is supposed to hit $5 a gallon. Even at almost 50mpg, a Civic or Altima with thier 40+ mileage are a better deal, plus less maintenance, of course you don't have the sub zero temps to deal with like we do.
Concealed weapon laws are in favor of the citizen down here. It's pretty easy to get a license, you just have to wait 4 months for the background check. I have one and if I'm in the woods or downtown I'll carry my pistol in a frame mounted bag. It fits in there good and I still have a lot of room for other stuff if I need it. For rides in populated areas I don't worry about taking it.

I like VW's you're right about the price of diesel. I'll probably end up getting a Civic coupe. I'll lower it and put a fartcan muffler on. :cool:

Trekhead said:
Concealed weapon laws are in favor of the citizen down here. It's pretty easy to get a license, you just have to wait 4 months for the background check. I have one and if I'm in the woods or downtown I'll carry my pistol in a frame mounted bag. It fits in there good and I still have a lot of room for other stuff if I need it. For rides in populated areas I don't worry about taking it.

I like VW's you're right about the price of diesel. I'll probably end up getting a Civic coupe. I'll lower it and put a fartcan muffler on. :cool:
Lowering, OK, 18" Enke wheels with Pirrellis, fine, but please no fart can. The gun laws are pretty liberal around here. Now if someone trys to enter your home without permission, it is considered a life threatening situation and you can legally blow the sucker away. In the past, the intruder had to be armed and completely inside the home before you could use lethal force, and then you could face charges, now you can blow the sucker away as he's kicking your door in even if he's got nothing but a smile. We've had several intruders smoked around here with no charges filed. And they say my driving is dangerous LOL