Roof rack WHACK, what now?

~Von

Guest
OK, so i have my car in the shop and i go for a ride while they are working on it. I come back and
throw the bike on the roof rack. They then need to top it off with oil so the mechanic takes it back
in the garage but fails to get the garage door up high enough and hits it. Seat is tweaked a bit
right, and the front left mount to the car is popped off of the top of my jetta. Visual inspection
of the really dirty frame didn't reveal any stress fractures however I am leary to hop back on it.
The frame is a 2002 Specialized Allez sport (AL frame, white with red trim), ritchey headset and
knenisis carbon fork with alloy steer tube.

Assuming there are no visible cracks in the paint, is this safe to ride or should I have the shop
replace the frame. I'm leaning towards the latter, just to be safe.

thoughts?

~Von wrote:
> OK, so i have my car in the shop and i go for a ride while they are working on it. I come back and
> throw the bike on the roof rack. They then need to top it off with oil so the mechanic takes it
> back in the garage but fails to get the garage door up high enough and hits it. Seat is tweaked a
> bit right, and the front left mount to the car is popped off of the top of my jetta. Visual
> inspection of the really dirty frame didn't reveal any stress fractures however I am leary to hop
> back on it. The frame is a 2002 Specialized Allez sport (AL frame, white with red trim), ritchey
> headset and knenisis carbon fork with alloy steer tube.
>
> Assuming there are no visible cracks in the paint, is this safe to ride or should I have the shop
> replace the frame. I'm leaning towards the latter, just to be safe.
>
> thoughts?

Take it to a reputable LBS and have them evaluate it.

Kenny Lee

"Kenny Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ~Von wrote:
> > OK, so i have my car in the shop and i go for a ride while they are
working
> > on it. I come back and throw the bike on the roof rack. They then need
> > top it off with oil so the mechanic takes it back in the garage but
fails to
> > get the garage door up high enough and hits it. Seat is tweaked a bit right, and the front left
> > mount to the car is popped off of the top of
my
> > jetta. Visual inspection of the really dirty frame didn't reveal any
stress
> > fractures however I am leary to hop back on it. The frame is a 2002 Specialized Allez sport (AL
> > frame, white with red trim), ritchey headset
and
> > knenisis carbon fork with alloy steer tube.
> >
> > Assuming there are no visible cracks in the paint, is this safe to ride
or
> > should I have the shop replace the frame. I'm leaning towards the
latter,
> > just to be safe.
> >
> > thoughts?
> >

> Take it to a reputable LBS and have them evaluate it.
>
> Kenny Lee

I did this a number of years ago with a Trek 1500 and the only detectable damage was a slightly
ovalized head tube. Couldn't really tell until after several rides when the headset seemed to be a
little loose and difficult to adjust. Turned out it was loose in the frame. The fix was a new frame.
Bill Brannon

>> > thoughts?
>> >

>> Take it to a reputable LBS and have them evaluate it.
>>
>> Kenny Lee
>>
>I did this a number of years ago with a Trek 1500 and the only detectable damage was a slightly
>ovalized head tube. Couldn't really tell until after several rides when the headset seemed to be a
>little loose and difficult to adjust. Turned out it was loose in the frame. The fix was a new
>frame. Bill Brannon

I drove my car at 15mph into a garage with my Basso Gap and a Vitus on top. The roof took the
brunt--$2K in damages. The rack mounts were bent and needed replacement.

The handlebars needed replacement, and I wouldn't hesitate to replace even normal looking
handlebars. I flatted a tubular tire, but the wheel trued nicely and I've ridden it off and on ever
since--and that was a GEL 280, my race wheel! The campy brake levers were barely scratched, in spite
of markedly bent cinelli 64/44's. . .

The frame (Basso) looked fine, and I've ridden it about 25K miles since then without a glitch (about
60K total). Still one of the sweetest rides ever. . .

YMMV, since this was a steel bike, but the vitus (glued alu) held up okay too. . . as far as I know.

--Adam