Roof rack WHACK, what now?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ~Von, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. ~Von

    ~Von Guest

    OK, so i have my car in the shop and i go for a ride while they are working on it. I come back and
    throw the bike on the roof rack. They then need to top it off with oil so the mechanic takes it back
    in the garage but fails to get the garage door up high enough and hits it. Seat is tweaked a bit
    right, and the front left mount to the car is popped off of the top of my jetta. Visual inspection
    of the really dirty frame didn't reveal any stress fractures however I am leary to hop back on it.
    The frame is a 2002 Specialized Allez sport (AL frame, white with red trim), ritchey headset and
    knenisis carbon fork with alloy steer tube.

    Assuming there are no visible cracks in the paint, is this safe to ride or should I have the shop
    replace the frame. I'm leaning towards the latter, just to be safe.

    thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    ~Von wrote:
    > OK, so i have my car in the shop and i go for a ride while they are working on it. I come back and
    > throw the bike on the roof rack. They then need to top it off with oil so the mechanic takes it
    > back in the garage but fails to get the garage door up high enough and hits it. Seat is tweaked a
    > bit right, and the front left mount to the car is popped off of the top of my jetta. Visual
    > inspection of the really dirty frame didn't reveal any stress fractures however I am leary to hop
    > back on it. The frame is a 2002 Specialized Allez sport (AL frame, white with red trim), ritchey
    > headset and knenisis carbon fork with alloy steer tube.
    >
    > Assuming there are no visible cracks in the paint, is this safe to ride or should I have the shop
    > replace the frame. I'm leaning towards the latter, just to be safe.
    >
    > thoughts?

    Take it to a reputable LBS and have them evaluate it.

    Kenny Lee

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    "Kenny Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ~Von wrote:
    > > OK, so i have my car in the shop and i go for a ride while they are
    working
    > > on it. I come back and throw the bike on the roof rack. They then need
    > > top it off with oil so the mechanic takes it back in the garage but
    fails to
    > > get the garage door up high enough and hits it. Seat is tweaked a bit right, and the front left
    > > mount to the car is popped off of the top of
    my
    > > jetta. Visual inspection of the really dirty frame didn't reveal any
    stress
    > > fractures however I am leary to hop back on it. The frame is a 2002 Specialized Allez sport (AL
    > > frame, white with red trim), ritchey headset
    and
    > > knenisis carbon fork with alloy steer tube.
    > >
    > > Assuming there are no visible cracks in the paint, is this safe to ride
    or
    > > should I have the shop replace the frame. I'm leaning towards the
    latter,
    > > just to be safe.
    > >
    > > thoughts?
    > >

    > Take it to a reputable LBS and have them evaluate it.
    >
    > Kenny Lee

    I did this a number of years ago with a Trek 1500 and the only detectable damage was a slightly
    ovalized head tube. Couldn't really tell until after several rides when the headset seemed to be a
    little loose and difficult to adjust. Turned out it was loose in the frame. The fix was a new frame.
    Bill Brannon

  4. >> > thoughts?

    >> Take it to a reputable LBS and have them evaluate it.
    >>
    >> Kenny Lee
    >>
    >I did this a number of years ago with a Trek 1500 and the only detectable damage was a slightly
    >ovalized head tube. Couldn't really tell until after several rides when the headset seemed to be a
    >little loose and difficult to adjust. Turned out it was loose in the frame. The fix was a new
    >frame. Bill Brannon

    I drove my car at 15mph into a garage with my Basso Gap and a Vitus on top. The roof took the
    brunt--$2K in damages. The rack mounts were bent and needed replacement.

    The handlebars needed replacement, and I wouldn't hesitate to replace even normal looking
    handlebars. I flatted a tubular tire, but the wheel trued nicely and I've ridden it off and on ever
    since--and that was a GEL 280, my race wheel! The campy brake levers were barely scratched, in spite
    of markedly bent cinelli 64/44's. . .

    The frame (Basso) looked fine, and I've ridden it about 25K miles since then without a glitch (about
    60K total). Still one of the sweetest rides ever. . .

    YMMV, since this was a steel bike, but the vitus (glued alu) held up okay too. . . as far as I know.

    --Adam