roof racks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael S. Miles, May 27, 2004.

  1. A question for all the technical in mind:

    I have a PT Cruiser with factory roof rails and load bars. Will this with
    a Thule fork-mount rack be strong enough, or should I go for the long run
    and get Thule feet and load bars for my rails? It means spending twice as
    much money now, but am I likely to see a failure of the oem load bars?

    -Mike
    msmiles at andrew dot cmu dot edu

    Tags:

  2. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >t means spending twice as
    >much money now, but am I likely to see a failure of the oem load bars?

    Depends who makes the OEM bars. Yakims makes subaru racks and accessories but
    with chrysler who knows.

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    If Yakima made the OEM racks, they are evil! Otherwise, the ones that
    make them for Subaru, Mitsubisi, Mazda Protege, and other brain-dead
    designs are just incompetent morons.

    In 2003, Subaru changed the design of their racks so that Yakima Low
    Rider adaptors would no longer fit. My friend had to wait (and wait and
    wait) for Yakima to come out with an adaptor for them.

    Coworkers have the Mazda and a new Mitsubishi Outback. Those appear to
    be carefully designed so that no known adaptor can fit on them (perhaps
    seeing if regular towers will lift cross bars over the top of the silly
    things). The Outback rack even lacks any kind of crossbar all together.

    Like I said, incompetent morons!